Ukulele you wish you hadn't sold?

hibiscus

Reaction score
My Ohana SK-21. . . I bought one again within a year. I do have to say it sounds a lot better to me. Great set-up and different strings. (Thanks Connor!)

I will never sell any of my Ukes..I buy them to play them and when I do get too old to play(that may be sooner than later) I plan to gift them to someone who will enjoy them the same way I do..

only my 2 cents

I will never sell any of my Ukes..I buy them to play them and when I do get too old to play(that may be sooner than later) I plan to gift them to someone who will enjoy them the same way I do..

only my 2 cents

I hope you play them for another 40 years!! You can be the next Bill Tapia

Nope...the buyers or recipients enjoy them...plenty of ukes to go around...don't need anymore dust catchers here!

Mainland red cedar soprano. I missed it a lot, and eventually replaced it with a cedar longneck pineapple. Not quite the same sound, but it gets me close to home again.

Ana'ole soprano...

I promise I will tremendously enjoy them!!!!!! Your most "low-end" uke is my most high-end...

only my 2 cents

What is this "sell" of which you speak? :)

Actually, I've given away more instruments than I've sold. I don't think I've sold any guitars, none that I can think of anyway, but I've given a few away. I've sold I think exactly one uke (my KoAloha concert after I got a KoAloha longneck soprano) and the rest that have left my hands have been given away.

Mostly I'm too lazy to deal with selling them; taking the pictures, playing twenty questions with folks who aren't really planning to buy anyway, packing them to ship, worrying about whether they arrive safely, worry about whether the new owner feels like they got a fair shake, etc., etc.

When you give them away you don't have to worry about any of that! :)

Oh, and to answer the original question, no, I've never regretted letting them leave the stable.

John

Haven't seen many free ukes in the Marketplace! I have given away 4 ukes so far, but I have sold a couple to buy a more expensive one. I just sold a CK-38 for half price to help pay for my beautiful new KoAloha Pineapple.

I have no regrets as productions ukes can always be bought again even though it might not sound the same.

What is this "sell" of which you speak? :)

Actually, I've given away more instruments than I've sold. I don't think I've sold any guitars, none that I can think of anyway, but I've given a few away. I've sold I think exactly one uke (my KoAloha concert after I got a KoAloha longneck soprano) and the rest that have left my hands have been given away.

Mostly I'm too lazy to deal with selling them; taking the pictures, playing twenty questions with folks who aren't really planning to buy anyway, packing them to ship, worrying about whether they arrive safely, worry about whether the new owner feels like they got a fair shake, etc., etc.

When you give them away you don't have to worry about any of that! :)

Oh, and to answer the original question, no, I've never regretted letting them leave the stable.

John

Hey John..I guess I not like a lot of people on the UU I buy my ukes to play and enjoy..not to sell it..
how many people say they miss the ukes they let go? I don't get it..

and the best to me..people sell their best sounding most beautiful ukes ??
I can understand if they don't like the looks or sound/tone but usually they say it is one of their best ukes..

just my 2 cents

Last edited:
and the best to me..people sell there best sounding most beautiful ukes ??

Heh, heh. Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes people do run into a financial situation where they need a lot of cash quickly and I can see in that case it makes sense to sell the instruments that are going to move quickly and bring significant cash - but sometimes it seems like every listing is for "my favorite ukulele - I'm only selling it because I don't play it" - seems kind of an oxymoron, to me.

If you hang out in the marketplace long enough you also see some of those (often beautiful) ukes change hands quite a few times...at that point you have to sit back and go...ya know, I don't think I want that one... LOL

John

I haven't had this experience with a uke yet, but I have with a mandolin. When I was really into mandolins, I lucked into a Kentucky KM-DAWG, which was a replica of a Monteleone Artist, a unique a very high-end mandolin. Kentucky had subbed the production of the mandolins out to Japanese luthier Eichi Sumi, who made 48 of them. Sumi was unknown then, but went on to become a very well-known and highly regarded luthier. Due to the rarity of these mandolins due to the low production run, the rising reputation of Sumi, and their overall beauty and high quality, prices rose dramaticially and they became nearly impossible to find. After resisting selling mine for years, someone made me an offer that was beyond my expectations, and I felt like I would be a fool to turn them down, and I sold it.

After that initial rush of money wore off, I regretted it and regret it still. It was the best mandolin I ever owned.

Heh, heh. Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes people do run into a financial situation where they need a lot of cash quickly and I can see in that case it makes sense to sell the instruments that are going to move quickly and bring significant cash - but sometimes it seems like every listing is for "my favorite ukulele - I'm only selling it because I don't play it" - seems kind of an oxymoron, to me.

If you hang out in the marketplace long enough you also see some of those (often beautiful) ukes change hands quite a few times...at that point you have to sit back and go...ya know, I don't think I want that one... LOL

John

Ha ha John..what is most times you have seen the most beautiful best sounding uke change hands on the ukulele marketplace?and how hard did you laugh..

not trying to be mean or anything..I have been confused about this since I have joined the UU..very fun to watch though lol

I have yet to sell an ukulele. I know people that buy things, keep them for a while, then sell them to buy other new things, but I tend to buy things I like and just hang on to them. I have given instruments away, but I do not regret it at all.

only my 2 cents

Much respect to you!!!! that will be beautiful!!!

Top Bottom