PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele you wish you hadn't sold?

hibiscus
03-06-2013, 06:55 AM
My Ohana SK-21. . . I bought one again within a year. I do have to say it sounds a lot better to me. Great set-up and different strings. (Thanks Connor!)

whatevershebringswesing
03-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Sell them?????????????????

hawaii 50
03-06-2013, 07:01 AM
I will never sell any of my Ukes..I buy them to play them and when I do get too old to play(that may be sooner than later) I plan to gift them to someone who will enjoy them the same way I do..

only my 2 cents

Dan Uke
03-06-2013, 07:14 AM
I will never sell any of my Ukes..I buy them to play them and when I do get too old to play(that may be sooner than later) I plan to gift them to someone who will enjoy them the same way I do..

only my 2 cents

I hope you play them for another 40 years!! You can be the next Bill Tapia

Nickie
03-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Nope...the buyers or recipients enjoy them...plenty of ukes to go around...don't need anymore dust catchers here!

hawaii 50
03-06-2013, 07:17 AM
I hope you play them for another 40 years!! You can be the next Bill Tapia

Hey Daniel..you on my list,I way older than you lol

mattydee
03-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Mainland red cedar soprano. I missed it a lot, and eventually replaced it with a cedar longneck pineapple. Not quite the same sound, but it gets me close to home again.

chrimess
03-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Ana'ole soprano...

chrimess
03-06-2013, 07:29 AM
I promise I will tremendously enjoy them!!!!!! Your most "low-end" uke is my most high-end...

only my 2 cents

OldePhart
03-06-2013, 07:35 AM
What is this "sell" of which you speak? :)

Actually, I've given away more instruments than I've sold. I don't think I've sold any guitars, none that I can think of anyway, but I've given a few away. I've sold I think exactly one uke (my KoAloha concert after I got a KoAloha longneck soprano) and the rest that have left my hands have been given away.

Mostly I'm too lazy to deal with selling them; taking the pictures, playing twenty questions with folks who aren't really planning to buy anyway, packing them to ship, worrying about whether they arrive safely, worry about whether the new owner feels like they got a fair shake, etc., etc.

When you give them away you don't have to worry about any of that! :)

Oh, and to answer the original question, no, I've never regretted letting them leave the stable.

John

hibiscus
03-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Haven't seen many free ukes in the Marketplace! I have given away 4 ukes so far, but I have sold a couple to buy a more expensive one. I just sold a CK-38 for half price to help pay for my beautiful new KoAloha Pineapple.

Dan Uke
03-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Hey Daniel..you on my list,I way older than you lol

Bill played past 100 years old so I can see you do that cuz u got the passion!

Dan Uke
03-06-2013, 07:40 AM
I have no regrets as productions ukes can always be bought again even though it might not sound the same.

hawaii 50
03-06-2013, 07:41 AM
What is this "sell" of which you speak? :)

Actually, I've given away more instruments than I've sold. I don't think I've sold any guitars, none that I can think of anyway, but I've given a few away. I've sold I think exactly one uke (my KoAloha concert after I got a KoAloha longneck soprano) and the rest that have left my hands have been given away.

Mostly I'm too lazy to deal with selling them; taking the pictures, playing twenty questions with folks who aren't really planning to buy anyway, packing them to ship, worrying about whether they arrive safely, worry about whether the new owner feels like they got a fair shake, etc., etc.

When you give them away you don't have to worry about any of that! :)

Oh, and to answer the original question, no, I've never regretted letting them leave the stable.

John

Hey John..I guess I not like a lot of people on the UU I buy my ukes to play and enjoy..not to sell it..
how many people say they miss the ukes they let go? I don't get it..

and the best to me..people sell their best sounding most beautiful ukes ??
I can understand if they don't like the looks or sound/tone but usually they say it is one of their best ukes..

just my 2 cents

OldePhart
03-06-2013, 07:47 AM
and the best to me..people sell there best sounding most beautiful ukes ??

Heh, heh. Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes people do run into a financial situation where they need a lot of cash quickly and I can see in that case it makes sense to sell the instruments that are going to move quickly and bring significant cash - but sometimes it seems like every listing is for "my favorite ukulele - I'm only selling it because I don't play it" - seems kind of an oxymoron, to me.

If you hang out in the marketplace long enough you also see some of those (often beautiful) ukes change hands quite a few times...at that point you have to sit back and go...ya know, I don't think I want that one... LOL

John

RichM
03-06-2013, 07:54 AM
I haven't had this experience with a uke yet, but I have with a mandolin. When I was really into mandolins, I lucked into a Kentucky KM-DAWG, which was a replica of a Monteleone Artist, a unique a very high-end mandolin. Kentucky had subbed the production of the mandolins out to Japanese luthier Eichi Sumi, who made 48 of them. Sumi was unknown then, but went on to become a very well-known and highly regarded luthier. Due to the rarity of these mandolins due to the low production run, the rising reputation of Sumi, and their overall beauty and high quality, prices rose dramaticially and they became nearly impossible to find. After resisting selling mine for years, someone made me an offer that was beyond my expectations, and I felt like I would be a fool to turn them down, and I sold it.

After that initial rush of money wore off, I regretted it and regret it still. It was the best mandolin I ever owned.

hawaii 50
03-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Heh, heh. Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes people do run into a financial situation where they need a lot of cash quickly and I can see in that case it makes sense to sell the instruments that are going to move quickly and bring significant cash - but sometimes it seems like every listing is for "my favorite ukulele - I'm only selling it because I don't play it" - seems kind of an oxymoron, to me.

If you hang out in the marketplace long enough you also see some of those (often beautiful) ukes change hands quite a few times...at that point you have to sit back and go...ya know, I don't think I want that one... LOL

John

Ha ha John..what is most times you have seen the most beautiful best sounding uke change hands on the ukulele marketplace?and how hard did you laugh..

not trying to be mean or anything..I have been confused about this since I have joined the UU..very fun to watch though lol

Hippie Dribble
03-06-2013, 08:17 AM
and how hard did you laugh..

not trying to be mean or anything lol
Not trying but succeeding.

Pueo
03-06-2013, 08:17 AM
I have yet to sell an ukulele. I know people that buy things, keep them for a while, then sell them to buy other new things, but I tend to buy things I like and just hang on to them. I have given instruments away, but I do not regret it at all.

jinsk90
03-06-2013, 08:25 AM

only my 2 cents

Much respect to you!!!! that will be beautiful!!!

hawaii 50
03-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Not trying but succeeding.

that is a low blow.....haha

hawaii 50
03-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Much respect to you!!!! that will be beautiful!!!

Thanks..I guess when you get older..you can see more clearly

dkcrown
03-06-2013, 08:45 AM
I have sold many nice ukes, but have replaced them with even nicer ukes, so I would have to say no. Once I decide to sell something, as difficult a decision as it may be, then I move on.

I do regret not buying a particular uke though. It was a beautiful Moore Bettah tenor that Shawn had for sale on his site www.ukulelefriend.com about three years ago. AAA koa with a blond koa fretboard and bindings, side sound port and a MiSi. Palm tree inlay on the headstock. Just gorgeous. I still go back to his site and look at it in the archives. At $2400.00 I thought it was too much for a barely used ukulele considering Chuck's new ones were going for about the same price at the time. Live and learn.

hawaii 50
03-06-2013, 08:51 AM
I have sold many nice ukes, but have replaced them with even nicer ukes, so I would have to say no. Once I decide to sell something, as difficult a decision as it may be, then I move on.

I do regret not buying a particular uke though. It was a beautiful Moore Bettah tenor that Shawn had for sale on his site www.ukulelefriend.com about three years ago. AAA koa with a blond koa fretboard and bindings, side sound port and a MiSi. Palm tree inlay on the headstock. Just gorgeous. I still go back to his site and look at it in the archives. At $2400.00 I thought it was too much for a barely used ukulele considering Chuck's new ones were going for about the same price at the time. Live and learn.

For sure that one hurt.. ouch!
I understand you totally..but don't you have 3 MB's now...lol

ralphk
03-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Several years ago I traded off an early Bushman Jenny concert and that was a mistake. Fortunately I found a replacement a few months ago.

Dan Uke
03-06-2013, 09:53 AM

Chuck probably wishes he raised the prices sooner!! LOL

mm stan
03-06-2013, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=hawaii 50;1205945]I will never sell any of my Ukes..I buy them to play them and when I do get too old to play(that may be sooner than later) I plan to gift them to someone who will enjoy them the same way I do..

Hey Lenny,
I'll be waiting bruddah for your ukes....ha ha but I rather have you around my friend more.....:)

SailQwest
03-06-2013, 10:24 AM
The only one I really regret selling is my Risa Soprano stick. Even though I have a concert and a tenor, I was silly to let the soprano go. (Stupid one in, one out rule. No longer in effect since moving off of the boat.)

Most of the ukuleles that we thought we might regret selling were given to homes where we can visit them.

sukie
03-06-2013, 10:26 AM
I have some regret I sold my KoAloha concert. I replaced it with a Moore Bettah and used the money from the KoAloha to go towards the MB. I knew I would never play the KoAloha again so I sold it. It'd sure be nice to have now for the people who play chords for me. They are soprano size people. It'd be nice to have a concert with a pick up for them to use.

hawaii 50
03-06-2013, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=hawaii 50;1205945]I will never sell any of my Ukes..I buy them to play them and when I do get too old to play(that may be sooner than later) I plan to gift them to someone who will enjoy them the same way I do..

Hey Lenny,
I'll be waiting bruddah for your ukes....ha ha but I rather have you around my friend more.....:)

Hey Stan

You on my list too!

Hippie Dribble
03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
that is a low blow.....haha

how ironic that you, sir, are to make such an accusation. that indeed is truly funny. haha.

hawaii 50
03-06-2013, 01:14 PM
how ironic that you, sir, are to make such an accusation. that indeed is truly funny. haha.

I guess people see what they want to..

connor013
03-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Not exactly a regret, but...

I've owned a couple of nice tenors, but I (told myself) I couldn't get used to the scale. Now that I've become comfortable with the baritone, and have spent more time playing above the seventh fret, I can't help but wonder whether or not I was too inexperienced/too quick to let them go... the Loprinzi tenor was especially sweet.

And of course I regret selling that SK-21 :o.

mds725
03-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I haven't regretted selling or giving away the few ukuleles I once had but don't have any more. I sold my first tenor, a Kala solid acacia, to one of my ukulele class classmates. I had stopped playing that ukulele, he wanted a tenor, and I know the ukulele is getting played. My problem is my pathological attachment to ukuleles I don't play any more and should sell or give away but don't.

I did regret not buying a beautiful Compass Rose that was in the marketplace here a while ago, but I recently found a wonderful walnut Compass Rose, which I wouldn't have been looking for had I bought the earlier one, so I guess that worked out well. And I'm still waiting for my first opportunity to buy a Moore Bettah!

Hippie Dribble
03-06-2013, 01:34 PM
I guess people see what they want to..

Quite the contrary. I form my judgments only after viewing the evidence before me. I see a person full of ignorant and overly opinionated views, who throws flames in jest at the expense of others and who sabotages sales threads in the marketplace, all the while acting holier than thou.

hawaii 50
03-06-2013, 01:34 PM
I haven't regretted selling or giving away the few ukuleles I once had but don't have any more. I sold my first tenor, a Kala solid acacia, to one of my ukulele class classmates. I had stopped playing that ukulele, he wanted a tenor, and I know the ukulele is getting played. My problem is my pathological attachment to ukuleles I don't play any more and should sell or give away but don't.

I did regret not buying a beautiful Compass Rose that was in the marketplace here a while ago, but I recently found a wonderful walnut Compass Rose, which I wouldn't have been looking for had I bought the earlier one, so I guess that worked out well. And I'm still waiting for my first opportunity to buy a Moore Bettah!

Mark.. we might be waiting awhile for our MB's haha good luck brah!

I took another look at your CR on the Heartbreaker website..that wood is beautiful..congrats my friend

mketom
03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Quite the contrary. I form my judgments only after viewing the evidence before me. I see a person full of ignorant and overly opinionated views, who throws flames in jest at the expense of others and who sabotages sales threads in the marketplace, all the while acting holier than thou.

+1 on that Jon! Thanks for saying what others of us wanted to. Aloha!

buddhuu
03-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Gentlemen, knock it off.

Thanks.

didgeridoo2
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
I regret selling my kala travel soprano after switching out the tuners. Not sure why. I think because it wasn't for much money and just hanging on to it would have been worth keeping it. And I don't regret selling it, but I miss my National resophonic. I don't regret selling it because it went to a soldier in Afghanistan and he was pretty happy to get it. Since there's been one listed in the marketplace, recently, I miss it.

Skitzic
03-07-2013, 01:35 AM
I don't regret selling my Fluke, but it is the only brand I've owned and sold that I still get the desire to buy...if that makes sense. Every time I see a Fluke for sale, especially a red one I need to stop myself from buying it.

I think it's the shape....or I'm just crazy.

buddhuu
03-07-2013, 02:14 AM
I often regret selling instruments. Sadly, economics means that I can't keep everything I like. As my role in bands and sessions changes over time I need appropriate instruments so the non-essential ones have to go in order to fund the ones I need to use.

At the moment I'm mostly a guitarist so I only have one 'ukulele left, and one mandolin.

I've never had expensive ukes. I did have a Kala mahogany tenor that I particularly liked. I sold that to a very fine UU member a few years back, so at least I know it went to a good home. At that time I think I was funding a mandolin for the band I was in then. :/

Ubutunes
03-07-2013, 07:15 AM
I had a fabulous Ukiyo concert mahogany that I never bonded with and solid so I could buy something else, I think the mid-mo mando I sold to get a banjo I sold to get a better banjo... you know the drill. Know that I am playing uke again (bari) I would love to have that puppy back, it was an understated and exquisite instrument.
Mike