Modern songs like Hey Soul Sister for the Uke

I'm Yours by Jason Mraz will be much easier as Soul Sister uses some tough chords
Count on Me by Bruno Mars

By the way, are there Really any such thing as Tough chords on a uke? ;)

I experienced tough chords on a guitar, but there were 6 strings, a wider neck, and a much longer scale. How can any chords be really Tough on a 4 string uke? ;)

By the way, are there Really any such thing as Tough chords on a uke? ;)

I experienced tough chords on a guitar, but there were 6 strings, a wider neck, and a much longer scale. How can any chords be really Tough on a 4 string uke? ;)

Ukekiddingme?

Well, I have yet to touch my first uke, but this guitar and bass playing noob is expecting to easily play any chord he needs on a short scale, 4 string uke. I guess we'll see. :D

Well, I have yet to touch my first uke, but this guitar and bass playing noob is expecting to easily play any chord he needs on a short scale, 4 string uke. I guess we'll see. :D

It is much easier but I'd be super impressed if you could cleanly play any chords you see. I have some very accomplished professional musician friends that aren't able to do that . . . but if you can, more power to ya'!!!

Enjoy and welcome to UU.

Loads and loads of modern songs available as Uke chords. Google will find you literally hundreds! And if you get stuck, just search for songs with guitar tabs/chords......should be easy enough to work out for 'only' the 4 stringed little ukulele......:p

The OP is asking for suggestions of modern songs "like" 'Hey, Soul Sister'. I.e., specific songs similar in genre, style or feel. Links to lists of song tabs and suggestions to check Google (while helpful) don't quite answer the question as I read it.

Maybe check out:

I'm no Superman - Lazlo Bane
Fall at Your Feet - Crowded House
Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors - Editors

Oh well. I was gonna come back here and post the PDF I assembled for myself for my entry into bari uke land.

I don't see a way to attach anything to a post. Bummer.

I just put together a PDf with
- Good Riddance - Greenday
- Hey Soul Sister - Train
- I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
- Somewhere Over The Rainbow

that with 4 tunes, covers: C, C#m, D, Dm7, E, E7, Em, F, G, G#m, A, Am, and B.

Not bad, ay?

As erivel rightly said, ou can literally play any modern song on a uke just like you can on a guitar. To compile a list is a moot point as it would fill up book after book with every song ever written. I think your personal challenge is simply to google the songs you'd like to play the most (and maybe sing?) and get yourself a book of uke chords then go for it. You'll have a ball!

As to the question of ukulele being easy for you...well, the uke is easy to reach a basic level of proficiency, but, like every other instrument it will be as challenging as you choose to make it. There are some very very difficult chords and progressions that pros like James Hill and Bob Brozman still find challenging after years of performance time under their belt. I think you'll be surprised. The only limit on the complexity of the instrument is what you yourself place on it.

The OP is asking for suggestions of modern songs "like" 'Hey, Soul Sister'. I.e., specific songs similar in genre, style or feel. Links to lists of song tabs and suggestions to check Google (while helpful) don't quite answer the question as I read it.

As I read this thread, the OP was also told the chords were tough. My link points out that playing those songs only one step up uses more simple chords in the key of C. The responses in this thread are all helpful IMHO. Ric

As erivel rightly said, ou can literally play any modern song on a uke just like you can on a guitar. To compile a list is a moot point ...

Hey - thanks for the encouragement. As I said originally, I have been around music a long time. Yes, I know I can play any song on the uke.
The purpose of the thread was to identify a short list of modern tunes that were done with a uke or sound good with a uke.
Soul Sister was the perfect example - that one tune sold a whole lotta ukes.

Kay?

Top Bottom