vintage style 3 Martin value?

wdonley

Reaction score
Hi all-
Came across this today in a pawn shop. Really rough, several back cracks and lower soundboard crack. I do have a well known uke luthier friend who's willing to take it on for me, begrudgingly. Any idea of value? Trying to decide what to offer the pawnshop. It's gonna be 2 to 3 hundred to fix, even with the bandmate's discount. So, with that in mind, what kinda value would a repaired one have? Thanks, Bill D.

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 44
It appears to be a 1930s model, as you say, in rough shape.
In the stores, and in excellent condition, it would be priced at around $3k. On eBay, some in very good condition or better have sold recently under $2k. If it were up to me, I wouldn't pay more than $800 for it in that condition, but I already have one, so that may be coloring my response. Good luck with it.

Really rough....I'd offer no more than 500.00 even fixed, most I'd pay after a refininsh and repair is 1000-1100..

So, it sounds like if I can do it and end up at $5 to 6 hundred total, it'd be an ok deal for a "players uke" with real mojo?..

This is a tough one. I am a sucker for old style 3's, and this one is really challenged. I agree with you in that I would try to keep my total cost at $500 or less. I'd offer $150 and watch the dealers eyes.

Actually, I might go a little higher, even just as a repaired player. If you can get it for $300-500, I think it would be a good deal even after adding the costs of repairs. It won't ever be worth a lot, but if you get the total cost with repairs at around $500-800, I would think you might be able to get that back if you ever wanted to sell it. But then, like rpfrogner, I'm a sucker for Style 3s. But definitely start LOW! Point out all the repairs it's going to need, and that it will never be a pristine collector's instrument.

Top Bottom