sinker redwood

Stevelele

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can buy some nice straight grained sinker redwood for a tenor soundboard? It's pretty tough to find this for an ukulele!

Dude, I know I'm not helping, but drop the sinker and stick with the koa! It's a Hawaiian-made uke. Blonde koa... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Dude, I know I'm not helping, but drop the sinker and stick with the koa! It's a Hawaiian-made uke. Blonde koa... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

+1 I agree to that a hundred times...he he that is good advice... you see you buy wood the luthier is not familiar with, it complicates things....good luck man
I fell for the hype.....all I can say...risky business

Last edited:
I bought some sinker and had someone make me a uke with it. I love it. When I spoke with Eric, he mentioned how much he likes building with it. I'd probably defer to him if he's gonna build with it.

I know that Mike at MP ukuleles has built a number of ukes with sinker redwood. Maybe contact him about building one for you. I would also PM coolkayaker about it as he had one of Mikes sinker redwoods but I believe he sold it. There also was one for sale over at FMM a while back.

Why sinker? I would look for real tight grain with good silk

I agree, there is redwood which isn't sinker which is fabulous, like Lucky Strike!

I'm already getting the blonde koa. But looking into sinker redwood for other possibilities

Ho, Bruddah Steve!

I LOVE my Van Pelt Koa/Sinker Redwood tenor uke!!! It sounds Rich, Full, & SSSUUUHHHHHWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTT!!!!:shaka:

Anyone know where I can buy some nice straight grained sinker redwood for a tenor soundboard? It's pretty tough to find this for an ukulele!

allied luthiery
cookwoods
rctonewoods

if you buy a guitar top, you can get at least 2 tenors and 1 concert tops out of it depending on the size

Hi Mike,
the trouble is, if it is not sunk, it's technically illegal, or in the immortal words of Monty Python (on witches in Holy Grail):
"Right! So, if she weighs the same as a duck, she'd float in water, and she must be made of wood,..."
I sometimes wonder about "sinker" redwood.
I've been hearing about it for years, I mean how much "sunk" redwood is there in the world?

I've been hearing about it for years, I mean how much "sunk" redwood is there in the world?

While the sinker wood is a finite resource, there is apparently quite a lot of it. Some of those logs were huge, and I'm guessing some might yield hundreds, if not thousands of ukes. Here's a link to a story, with a pic of one of these logs. It said some logs were 16 ft in diameter.

http://www.redwoodsalvagesales.com/the-salvage-story.htm

Hi Mike,
the trouble is, if it is not sunk, it's technically illegal, or in the immortal words of Monty Python (on witches in Holy Grail):
"Right! So, if she weighs the same as a duck, she'd float in water, and she must be made of wood,..."

"Burn Her!" :)

Actually, there is quite a lot of the stuff. Unlike many softwood species redwood is very resinous and resistant to rot and damage from water. They used to log these trees by the thousands and float them down rivers to mills. A fair number of them got hung up along the way and sank, with current holding them wedged against bolders and growth along the banks. Also, a few man made lakes "drowned" a lot of forest, including quite a bit of redwood, though often that material is too deep to be easily recovered.

Actually only a fraction of what is recovered even goes for making instruments, more of it goes to furniture, cabinet making, and architectural paneling. The old redwoods were huge - you can probably get thousands of guitar sets from a single large log.

Also, it's not illegal to lumber redwood, (you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy all the redwood fencing and landscaping timbers you want) though most of the old growth trees with really large diameters and tight grains are in protected federal and state parks, now.

As I understand it, the real attraction of "sinker" wood for instruments, besides the tight grain of the old growth, is the changes that have taken place in the wood due to the long (usually decades) immersion in water.

John

Last edited:
dk,

If you're still interested, I actually happen to have a few sinker tops for tenor ukulele. I believe I have 3 book matched, and 1 one piece. They are all nice tops with good color and character. PM me if interested.

-Steve

Top Bottom