My Baritone Stringing Report

pdxuke

Reaction score
REVISED: I now understand the standard notation Dirk is talking about, so I'm going to post that next to my twisted language. Nothing like re-inventing the wheel. Dirk will correct me if I'm wrong :)

You all know I've gone a little Barry Tone (my new best friend) crazy, but I've been having a heck of a good time trying different strings and tunings, and thought I'd issue a report.

First, some notation talk. I know Dirk will yell at me, but I can't get my head around the official notation on strings--my head hurts. So much for my degree in music.

So, this is what I'll use:

DGBE-- REVISED: d g b e' standard Barry tuning, the two wound low strings everybody is used to. This is a linear tuning; start low on 4th string, notes rise to the 1st string.

dGBE REVISED: d' g b e' would be a uke tuning, with the d being high like in standard uke tuning. Reentrant.

CUATRO tuning has the 4th and 1st strings low; a different kind of reentrant, where it's linear until the first string, which drops an octave from where it would be in a normal linear tuning; I'll notate it like this:
Cuatro in C would be GCEA (It would be easier, I hear Dirk saying, if you just learned the D#$mn proper notation! I will, I will...) REVISED: OK, I have, I have: g c' e' a

My Ukes, Strings and Tunings:

Martin Style 51:
Tuned d' g b e' using Southcoast HMU-NW: Heavy Medium Gauge Ukulele Set -- no wound strings

Favilla
Cuatro in C: g c' e' a using Southcoast LMC-NW: Light Medium Gauge Cuatro Set - no wound

Regal Spruce Top
Cuatro In D: a d' f#' b using Southcoast LC-NW: Light Gauge Cuatro Set - no wound strings

Silvertone (made by Harmony)
Linear tuning in C : g c' e' a'

KALA KA-B
d' g b e' using 2 sets of D'Addario Classical Guitar Strings (Normal Tension), discarding the wound strings and using the 1,2, 3 string from one set, and repurposing the 1st (e) string in the second set to use as string 4 and tuned to d. http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EJ45...-fkmr0&keywords=d'addario+guitar+strings Thanks be to Lambchop for this idea.

LANIKAI
Out of the Box with d g b e' and Aquilla strings. I'll put on Martin 630s.

Observations

1. I'm in love with Cuatro tuning in C. It is probably my favorite of the bunch. The Favilla sings as a powerful, but chirpy rhythm instrument. I may very well string my Martin this way too. Absolutely fantastic way to tune Mr. Tone. I'm a believer.

2. My second favorte tuning is d' g b e' The Southcoast strings are wonderful. But I also really, really like the D'Addario two set mash up. I like the classical guitar feel of it, with the uke sound. Nice.

3. Cuatro in D and Linear C are a tie. I like them both.

4. d g b e' traditional Barry Tone tuning--meh. I have yet to take to it. I'll keep one uke tuned this way just to try and let it grow on me, and to help me find strings.

So there it is. I'd like to try Bb tuning as well. I'll enter this in the string Data Base, and I promise to record sound samples this weekend.

This journey has been fun.

Thanks to Dirk at Southcoast for opening up Mr Barry Tone's world view, and to Lambchop for his D'Addario idea, and to all Barry lovers who have encouraged me with advice and moral support along the way.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this. Do you have a preference over the Southcoast HMU-NW: Heavy Medium Gauge Ukulele Set and the D'Addario mashup? Also which has a greater tension? I think I might like a higher tension than came on this Lanikai Bari.

Did you try the SC F Bb D G tuning? That's what I have on my bari right now

Thank you so much for this. Do you have a preference over the Southcoast HMU-NW: Heavy Medium Gauge Ukulele Set and the D'Addario mashup? Also which has a greater tension? I think I might like a higher tension than came on this Lanikai Bari.

They both are great, but feel different. It's probably going to be personal preference. I'd say the SC probably have higher tension. Try them both! :)

I have the Martin in a Bb tuning and like it a lot. The Fav. is in Linear G tuning with Martin 630's. I tried G tuning with Living Waters but the Fav. sounded too quiet and muted. It needed the wound strings to bring that lusty smoke filled bluesy sound to it. May try the two wound classical strings like John has.

I ordered the LMC-NW Cuatros but sent them back after finding the Living Water non-wounds were too soft and ordered a set of the wound Cuatros. Will try them on the Martin.

I agree about the Gtuning being meh. A wound 3&4 string makes a big difference.

Thanks for that report! To what degree do you think the ukulele you used for each tuning is a variable? For example, do you think you might like DGBE better on a Martin than on your Lanikai? I guess what I'm wondering is if each of your baris has sound properties that make it sound better in certain tunings, and maybe you haven't matched up each of the tunings to the uke with the best sound properties for it. I guess the only scientific way to assess this would be to try each set of strings on each ukulele and look for ukulele-to-ukulele differences for each string set and string set to string set differences for each ukulele.

I just ordered that set and I'm looking forward to it. I recall that you and Patrick liked that tuning and I'm looking forward to trying it! :)

Actually I love the sound but don't like the tuning as it's too close to a tenor. I tried to tune it half step lower but it felt too loose and I didn't like the sound of the 4th string. Dirk really knows what he's talking about and finding the right tension. I like high tension so I might try the highest tension linear set and play to a A tuning.

However, the Bb's great if I want to play with others as I just have to capo the second fret vs. capoing the 5th fret, which causes you to lose volume or learn new chords.

I'll do a sound sample in Bb w/ the Pono bari...You might want to buy one after hearing it :p

I'm going straight for CUATRO in C. Got my lanakai bari yesterday and it seems I have a set of DGBE worth browns waiting for me at home. I'll restring those D->G B->C E->E G->A tonight if I have time. People complain the low D is floppy so hopefully up 5 semi tones isn't too much.

I'm sad I didn't see the southcoast page before:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/cuatro.htm

Last edited:
dGBE is the best tuning, so I don't understand this thread.

Thanks for that report! To what degree do you think the ukulele you used for each tuning is a variable? For example, do you think you might like DGBE better on a Martin than on your Lanikai? I guess what I'm wondering is if each of your baris has sound properties that make it sound better in certain tunings, and maybe you haven't matched up each of the tunings to the uke with the best sound properties for it. I guess the only scientific way to assess this would be to try each set of strings on each ukulele and look for ukulele-to-ukulele differences for each string set and string set to string set differences for each ukulele.

Of course certain Barrys are better than others, but truthfully--cheap and classic, once i find the right strings they all sound great! A very odd thing, and NOT my experience with sopranos. Maybe Barrys are more forgiving, as others have said.

The Martin came classic DGBE. So did the Favilla. Didn't like it on those instruments either, but I will eventually give it another shot. It's a lifetime of tinkering :)

Why are you transposing? Just get music that has been arranged for guitar instead of music that has been arranged for soprano ukulele. If you are just playing the chords it does not matter if you have high or low D on your baritone, you just follow the guitar chords. A major problem for ukulele players at the moment seems to be musical ignorance. If everyone just spent some time learning the notes on the fret board and the notes in each of the main 8 or nine chords you use, you would not be a prisoner to dumbed down musical arrangements.
I notice that PDX does not have a baritone with open G tuning, DGBD, is this an oversight or a project for the next acquisition?

Actually, I've never tried DGBD tuning. Thank you for giving me an excuse!

Why are you transposing?

a C chord on a GCEA ukulele uses a different fingering than a C chord on a DGBE. I'm currently not interested in having to shift gears every time I pick up the baritone. I have a couple of fake books I grab (one a hymnal), open up and play. Chord names are there and that's it, I play them through 2-3 of times and they are ready to go.

a C chord on a GCEA ukulele uses a different fingering than a C chord on a DGBE. I'm currently not interested in having to shift gears every time I pick up the baritone. I have a couple of fake books I grab (one a hymnal), open up and play. Chord names are there and that's it, I play them through 2-3 of times and they are ready to go.

Then stay away from G tunings. There are a couple of C tunings that you would not have to transpose. If you do the Cuatro in C--my favorite tuning--it's wonderful for chording. I think you'd like it!

Top Bottom