What sounds most similar to a Moore Bettah?

Kmetzger

Reaction score
I get that there isn't anything else out there that looks like Moore Bettah's, but what is your opinion on other ukes that sound the most similar to a Moore Bettah?

I ask because it has become increasing clear that purchasing one is a near impossible task.

(Full disclosure: I have a Moore Bettah I bought a few years back. Now am wanting a second tenor so I can have one strung low g and the other high g. Nothing I've played has a sound that comes even close, in terms of clarity, sustain and tonal range. So am extremely spoiled. But have also become realistic that if I want another uke anytime this lifetime, it likely isn't going to be a Moore Bettah. So seeking opinions from anyone that owns a Moore Bettah or is very familiar with their sound...)

Thanks.

Keith

Another Moore Bettah.

In all seriousness, it's difficult to compare the tone of one instrument to another. However, I have a spruce over milo MB, and I would characterize the tone as loud, very open and airy, with very strong bass and a commanding presence; no "plinky plinky, " more "whoom!". With that being said, my Luis Feu de Mesquita uke, while a very different instrument, shares many of those tonal characterstics (and is spruce over makore). As far as I know, Luis is still taking orders, although I'm not sure how long his waitlist is.

Another Moore Bettah.

In all seriousness, it's difficult to compare the tone of one instrument to another. However, I have a spruce over milo MB, and I would characterize the tone as loud, very open and airy, with very strong bass and a commanding presence; no "plinky plinky, " more "whoom!". With that being said, my Luis Feu de Mesquita uke, while a very different instrument, shares many of those tonal characterstics (and is spruce over makore). As far as I know, Luis is still taking orders, although I'm not sure how long his waitlist is.

I know of six being ordered right now, including my new one which is Adirondack Spruce / Macassary Ebony. These are the ones I know of so there could be more.

I played RyRod's Dave Talsma tenor (I think it's a tenor). It's beautiful. Yes, it sounded different than my super-concert MB. But it would. However -- I thought the sound was "different" and "deeper". Not better. not worse. I would recommend him.

Probably would be better if you describe the qualities of the sound you are looking for...
...Generally speaking, I doubt another MB sounds like the MB you have.

I doubt another MB sounds like the MB you have.

This is correct. You need to remember Keith that your MBU is probably 5 or 6 years old and has had the benefit of some good, hard hours of playing on it. Not even a new MBU will sound exactly like it.

For those who don't know, Keith (who would be too modest to tell you) is an excellent musician (and is featured on my web site: http://www.moorebettahukes.com/untitled1.html)

Last edited:
This is correct. You need to remember Keith that your MBU is probably 5 or 6 years old and has had the benefit of some good, hard hours of playing on it.

For those who don't know, Keith (who would be too modest to tell you) is an excellent musician (and is featured on my web site.)

Yup Keith, I am sure your Moore Bettah sounds great....but I gotta admit, Rich's and My Moore Bettah's may be even moore bettah refined...Chuckie is a master of master and keeps
raising the level of greatness in sound and looks in every new ukulele he builds....For me, nothing to compare to all my ukes before....:) Yes get on his list again, I see he likes you, but you have to
wait in line like the rest of us.....:)

Last edited:
This is correct. You need to remember Keith that your MBU is probably 5 or 6 years old and has had the benefit of some good, hard hours of playing on it. Not even a new MBU will sound exactly like it.

For those who don't know, Keith (who would be too modest to tell you) is an excellent musician (and is featured on my web site.)

Rats! If an accomplished musician who is featured on Chuck Moore's website thinks he's never going to be able to buy another Moore Bettah ukulele, what possible hope do I have of ever buying one?

Rats! If an accomplished musician who is featured on Chuck Moore's website thinks he's never going to be able to buy another Moore Bettah ukulele, what possible hope do I have of ever buying one?

All you have to do is look at your your quote, "Wish upon a star"

NOTHING SOUNDS LIKE A MOORE BETTAH ......UNLESS YOU HAVE ANOTHER MOORE BETTAH... I know Chuckie has alot of commitments, but be patient and hope guys and gals...
can you imagine how many people ask him.... at some point it becomes more of a catch up and trying to please others more than personal satifaction and health
with a long list...please do not pressure him....I care for him alot and all....if and when your time comes, it will.... :) just hope and pray and be on the list....

NOTHING SOUNDS LIKE A MOORE BETTAH ......UNLESS YOU HAVE ANOTHER MOORE BETTAH... I know Chuckie has alot of commitments, but be patient and hope guys and gals...
can you imagine how many people ask him.... at some point it becomes more of a catch up and trying to please others more than personal satifaction and health
with a long list...please do not pressure him....I care for him alot and all....if and when your time comes, it will.... :) just hope and pray and be on the list....

Spoken like someone who already has a Moore Bettah. :)

Of course, nobody wants to harass or hassle Chuck. I just hope that someday, in the normal course of Chuck or somone else making a Moore Bettah available for purchase, I happen to be in the right place at the right time. :)

You have a valid point there Mark... :) yes I understand you wanting to position yourself if there is one that does come available ....makes sense to me.. :)
I wish you all the good luck and bruddah Mark :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom