Can you help me evaluate these custom-made uke's?

indomie23

Reaction score
I was looking over Craigslist, and I noticed some extremely beautiful tenor uke's being sold. However, I am not sure if these are great quality..?

I need experienced advice as to these uke's!

Here is the link to these uke's:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/3631401099.html

Please let me know as soon as you can! ;) Thank you!!!

Attachments

• uke.jpg
    uke.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 86
  • uke2.jpg
    uke2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 74
  • uke3.jpg
    uke3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 80
  • uke4.jpg
    uke4.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 61
  • uke5.jpg
    uke5.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 93
I have no idea who made them or anything else about them - but that last picture has me thinking it's most likely someone who knows more about making something look nice than sound nice. That extra slab of "pickguard" all around the sound hole and between there and the bridge has got to be muffling the heck out of the part of the soundboard that does 90% of the work...

Also, where did you get the idea that they are custom-made ukes? They look (and are priced) more like something coming in bulk out of a sweatshop somewhere...

Honestly, if I lived in Seattle I might be tempted to lay hands on one and see if they are any good - but it would have to be a slow news day... :)

John

What John just said . . . they are not custom instruments and definitely made overseas. If you're interested in them, meet the person in some public place so you can play each one and base your decision on what sounds best to you. And take a friend with you.

Thanks for the input guys!

Woops, my mistake, didn't really know.

I have been texting the owner and here are some things he mentioned:

-I asked him about the sound quality of these tenors as compared to other name-brand tenors, and he said "I don't have this kind of knowledge on ukes. This is my dad's project."
-The tenors were made by "an independent maker in SE Asia"
-The strings are nylon, doesn't know the brand, but will ask dad
-The full bodies are solid

Based on your experience and knowledge and based on what he mentioned, would you lean on to this as fishy or legitimate?

He also is selling a nice-looking, solid acacia-koa soprano:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/3605766621.html

And a solid mohagany concert:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/3665407248.html

I really like the looks of all of them, and the material and woods he has mentioned are high-quality, but, for sure, I got personally test them out and see if they are good. Thanks for the reminder, Kanaka916.

OldePhart, as in the "pickguard," you're referring to the third-pictured uke, right? And, yes, I'm tempted too ;)

The fact they are made by an independent Se Asia manufacturers means they are factory made ukes, not customs. A custom uke would definitely have some kind of identifying label as i'm certain the luthier would want to be able to advertise his work. They are nice looking and these are standard tonewood combinations, but if the build quality is not there (ie, bracing, etc.) then they will likely not sound well when compared to a properly made uke. I'm guessing these are probably legitimate, mass produced factory ukes, being sold off by someone who bought these off an importer. since they are not labelled they could be factory seconds that could not be sourced to the OEM. If they were made by an independent luthier, the lack of a label or anything to identify the maker would concern me.

All the instruments linked to are Bruceweiart instruments. I'm the guy with the biggest review of these instruments on YouTube,

http://youtu.be/m-FmrzMAOYg

These are all hand made instruments but putting them in the same category as the custom builders on this forum is incorrect.

I am unfortunately going off Bruceweiart's instruments. They used to be better. I tried communicating with him last year to fix some very slight but important errors but he's just not listening. This latter bit is what's getting my goat.

If you can try them in person and check them for straightness they may be OK but I can't recommend buying them sight unseen.

EDIT: and I agree that the pick guard would muffle the instrument. The thing is that you guys like the LOOK of the pick guards and keep on buying them. He's made some ukulele's with pick guards with elaborate cutouts forming patterns. Now THEY looked good and probably wouldn't dampen the instrument too much.
Anthony

Last edited:
Are they worth the price?

All the instruments linked to are Bruceweiart instruments...I am unfortunately going off Bruceweiart's instruments. They used to be better. I tried communicating with him last year to fix some very slight but important errors but he's just not listening. This latter bit is what's getting my goat. If you can try them in person and check them for straightness they may be OK but I can't recommend buying them sight unseen.

I feel honored to get experienced advice and assistance. Again, I mistaken for labeling them as custom-made - I have little knowledge about ukes...anyway, would you think think that these ukes are worth the $165-175?
I have checked out the store, "bruceweiart," and he is selling similar ukes and a much less starting price.

Since these are actual Bruce Wei ukulele's, none of the description is untrue? As in, they should be truly solid wood, etc?

Thank you for your help.

Yes brucewei does genuinely make his instruments out of solid wood and they do sound good. The issues are that he is not leaving enough room for compensation in the saddles and the newer ones seem to suffer a little too much from neck warpage. I have older ones which are top notch and dead straight. If you can try them in person and you like them then money is OK. You can buy them cheaper straight from Brucewei but then you take a chance.

Anthony

Ok, let's say that these Bruce Wei ukulele's proved to be solid, true quality.
Considering the sound/material/design of the instruments, if you had the choice between these Bruce Wei uke's, and let's say an Islander MT-4, a solid KPK (not deluxe) tenor, and/or any other sub-$200 tenors, which would you choose? (open to anyone)

Thanks again

Noted they were Bruce's work upon pulling up 1st image. I just ordered one, but have lurked and followed many many reviews & critiques for a fairly long time, including anthonyg's above. The big issue, aside of a serious QA/QC variance, is the questionable stock he's using. Some is relatively properly dried/aged, some not. Also, if you follow some of the photos of his production facilities, it's quite obvious that seasoned luthiers are NOT putting these little buggers together. I'm anticipating doing some fretwork, fine tuning & letting the instrument acclimate to my climate controlled guitar room for an extended period of time before making the changes I want -- that is, if it's even worthy of said changes.

I've heard that some purchase direct in bulk & receive a better scrutinized stock than that which he lists on Ebay, but that's just hearsay -- I'll have to judge with my own eyes & hands. My plan is to rout the nut for a wound low bass & drop either a mi-si or Baggs electronics in it, as all my Ukes have plugging capability. If I don't like it, off it'll go to craigslist land like the one's in your pics! :)

As to your question above, I recently entertained the same dilemma & opted to grab an all solid Kala SMHGTE-C cutaway (closeout, via Ebay) with factory electronics to travel with & be my daily "beater" (great beater, I must say!). I got a screamin' deal, so opted to cop the Bruce Wei to do the low "G" thing with. If it doesn't work out, I may go Islander, as that's some great bang for the buck! I recently also found a used Nalu for a great deal, but still priced far more than I wanna spend on a daily player..

Be well,
Sean (aka NKO)

Considering the sound/material/design of the instruments, if you had the choice between these Bruce Wei uke's, and let's say an Islander MT-4, a solid KPK (not deluxe) tenor, and/or any other sub-$200 tenors, which would you choose? (open to anyone)

Thanks again

Last edited:
Considering the sound/material/design of the instruments, if you had the choice between these Bruce Wei uke's, and let's say an Islander MT-4, a solid KPK (not deluxe) tenor, and/or any other sub-$200 tenors, which would you choose?

I have a Bruce Wei Tenor Uke I bought for $139 shipped and given the choice I would buy the Islander MT4 or equivalent. Bruce Wei Ukes look and sound really nice but, you have to do a Set-Up and then they still have issues explained below.

The issues that bother me are:

1) Bruce Wei Tenor ukes are a little smaller in size and shape.

2) The Saddle is very Tiny and too, high.

3) The Bridge is too thin and the section for the saddle is too high.

4) The String spacing is too, narrow.

5) The Fret Ends feel sharp.

Last edited:
You would be much better off spending your $200 with Hawaiian Music Supply, Uke Republic, Mim - i.e. any of the vendors that maintain a presence here. These are people who really care about ukes and they will help you select an instrument and it will be set up so there aren't any playability issues - thus greatly increasing the odds that a beginner, especially, will actually learn to play the instrument.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for a ukulele to give to someone whom you wish to discourage from learning to play, then by all means buy one of those Craig's list ukes from "some guy's dad..."

John

Another one that says to pass.....I'd rather get a nice sounding ukulele anytime than a looker..for sure, if it don't sound right you wont play it...
go with mainland ukuleles...google it KPK, Kala, ukes for starters.....and get a set up too....no forget get yourself a good clip on tuner...too good luck

Thank you!

I'd rather be in more surety, than in doubt.

I will pass this offer, and maybe look into Bruce's uke's when I believe it may be the right occasion.

Thank you gentleman for your wonderful advice.

Btw, I have posted a new thread on "Buying Tips" of which I am asking advice on whether to purchase a KPK tenor or Islander MT-4, and I included some other tenors to consider. If you can help me out on this too, I'd so appreciate it. :D

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?77928-KPK-tenor-or-Islander-MT-4

Again, thanks and God Bless! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom