Bruko Questions

keyzer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been loitering on the forums for some time now - and have to say a lot of you were instrumental (no pun intended) in getting me to pick up a uke. I ended up getting a Bruko NO.5 from my local store here in Sydney Australia last week - it really is a beautiful instrument. However I have a few issues/questions I am hoping you can answer.

Firstly - There are very small gaps between the neck and the body of the uke, is this a defect, something I should have the store fix?
Secondly - There is already wear on the frets (a week old), as if the polish is coming off the fret itself - again is this normal, or is this something that I should report to my local store? I put Aqilia strings on a day after I picked it up.

Thanks again guys, I am glad I stumbled across the forums on my endless guitar searches and discovered the rewarding instrument that is the ukulele!

I have the same uke.

With maple necked instruments the frets are usually installed before the neck is finished. Therefore the frets end up with a layer of finish on top, which flakes away almost immediately, this is what is happening. Nothing to worry about, its not supposed to stay there.

As for the gap between neck and body it is hard to comment without pics.

Thanks for the reply - The laminate that is pealing off makes it look beat up at present. Guess it will all even out in a few weeks.

I hope the photo works... its the best I can do with the iPhone! Basically, the dark patch towards the face of the uke is a gap. It is the same on the other side, although not as wide a gap.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Attachments

• gap.jpg
    gap.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 28
Hmmmn, hard to pass judgement on this pic alone really. I would suggest that you speak with the shop that you bought it from and see what they have to say. Maybe also take it to another shop that repairs instruments and see what their opinion is, they won't charge you for advice.

Brukos are nice instruments. Rather unique construction in the lack of linings + the one piece neck. Though they seem to have their flaws, mine too had issues. The fretwork was a little wanting; luckily a local shop sorted this out free of charge!

Top Bottom