Write another uke book?

RobMacKillop

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have written seven uke books for Mel Bay, and they've asked me twice now to write another. I'm considering it, but wonder what you would like to see me write. Arrangements? Studies? Anything else?

Rob

Hi guys. I have written seven uke books for Mel Bay, and they've asked me twice now to write another. I'm considering it, but wonder what you would like to see me write. Arrangements? Studies? Anything else?

Rob

First, thanks for all your contributions to date!

Going forward, I would love to see a studies/etudes book for the uke.

Solo arrangements, popular music~love your books!

I already have two books of studies - 40 pieces in all. If it is to be another studies book, should they be harder, or simpler?

Popular music is a possibility, but there are royalty payments to be made, so that would be a choice for Mel Bay.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Keep the suggestions coming, they do help me sort my thoughts out. It could go any way.

I already have two books of studies - 40 pieces in all. If it is to be another studies book, should they be harder, or simpler?

I have and enjoy your fingerstyle studies books. I guess what I am thinking of is a progressive set of studies geared more towards chords, different versions of the same chords (replacements up the neck), etc., but in a way that is built into a song. One example: you have a song with chord changes that would be very taxing in the "basic" shapes, but are much easier at a different inversion/place on the neck.

I've lately been doing this a bit on the fly, but a structured set of studies that builds some of this in would be fantastic.

Hymns - a possibility. There are many beautiful melodies there.

Chords studies - another possibility. I think I see what you are getting at, grendel1972.

Yes, and blues. Ragtime too. Possibilities. I'll let Mel Bay know what you are saying here.

I vote for fingerstyle hymns, also.

Scales for low-g uke, including 3-per-string scales.

"Accompanying Jigs, Reels. Hornpipes & Strathspeys" - How to play the Uke and still have fun at a Celtic music session. That would be very useful for me ;)

It could be based around non-copyright traditional songs that illustrate common variations on each type of popular sessions tunes, but be aimed at giving the learner confidence to be able to join in as an accompanist on any session. There is virtually nothing in the market that offers this option and very few YouTube Videos that even scratch the surface of the area.

Yes, and blues. Ragtime too. Possibilities. I'll let Mel Bay know what you are saying here.

I how I wish someone had more of Rabbit Muse's work available. It's hard to find.

Do you do jazz?

I also play a bit of guitar and used your online/video companions while trying to work through the Mickey Baker book. I didn't make it all the way through the book, but your material was very helpful for the parts I covered. Would something similar - even an adaptation of the Baker book - be a possibility? Not necessarily based on the Baker book, but a progressive jazz method specific to ukulele voicings?

Last edited:
I've e-published a few things (not so prolific or high profile as you!), and tried a progressive beginner-intermediate chord solo book. I found it really hard to get to grips with, and would love to see it done justice. <this is where you step in ;) >

Top Bottom