Kala bari morphs into Pono MB!

Ubutunes

Reaction score
I sent my Kala bari with the cracked brace back to HMS and while communicating with their crew decided to upgrade a bit to the Pono MB. Andrew credit me the full cost of the Kala.

I was just starting to find the nuances of the Kala, but am looking forward to the Pono. I would not have felt comfortable spending the $ for it as a first bari, but since a month later it is my second... Now I'm just waiting on my (Fed ex) man...
Mike

You'll like the Pono...I just got one and it's great to get introduced to the bari world.

You will LOVE the Pono. I compared the Kala to the Pono before I ended up buying my Pono MB as my first baritone. I actually liked the looks of the Kala over the Pono but acoustically there was no comparison. I ended up later getting an MBD which has the sound and looks l like.

Pono MBs are awesome. I love mine, but I should note that strings make a huge difference - in my (admittedly brief) experience even more so than on smaller scales. I've currently got a set of southcoast heavy gauge strings (wound 3rd) that are just awesome.

Pono MBs are awesome. I love mine, but I should note that strings make a huge difference - in my (admittedly brief) experience even more so than on smaller scales. I've currently got a set of southcoast heavy gauge strings (wound 3rd) that are just awesome.

Thanks for the string advice, PTOEguy! I've got some southcoast Bbs and a selection of linear G's to try, but do not have the SC heavies. Will check em out! Did you try Worth Browns?

Last edited:

I second this. The journey of discovery doesn't stop with the selection and purchase of the uke. It continues with finding the right string match. For example, I've found it on the Favilla (cuatro tuning in C) but not yet on my Martin. It's a journey!

Pono MB is in the house! Ooo it is the loveliest hog, light and understated, very little striping. Very resonant! Just ordered some SC heavies, the Aguilas that came on it do nothing for me. HMS set it up a scootch high as asked. Ok, time to play (and maybe get a photo or two...)
Mike:music:

I played one a couple months ago and it was sweet....it was so hard leaving there without it...believe me...

They have a subtle beauty to them :)

I never got on with the wound strings on mine and have used both Living Water (High and low D)and Southcoasts (Bb flatwound and high d fluoros) on it and been very happy with them all.

Enjoy!

pono2.jpgpono.jpg
couple of quick shots.
very resonant instrument, build if very clean on the outside, a few glue gobs on the kerfing. Simple and classic lines, chunky c-shaped neck is a delight. Waiting on the mail for SC and LW G linear sets!

Top Bottom