Any ukes with fish/dolphin designs?

NatalieS

Reaction score
Since haolejohn started a thread about a uniquely-designed uke, I thought I might do the same. I am obsessed with aquatic life (fish, marine mammals, you name it), and I'm always on the lookout for a unique uke with such animals incorporated into the design. So far I've found a few which I'll show below, but does anyone know of any more? I figured UU is about the only place I can ask this, because you guys definitely know your ukes.

Okay so far I know of:

G-String C1 Concert Dolphin
gstringc1dolphin.jpg

Makala MK-S
t_1092.jpg

Leolani brand
leolani.jpg

Pono PSO-H Soprano I'a
ponopso-hsopia.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if he could do a dolphin inlay on my koa soprano's headstock? :love:

Dolphin's are easy, especially for someone like Craig who is at the top of his game. Probably cost you more than the `ukulele, then you have to pay someone else to get it refinished, but he could do it.

Okay, so I'm really excited about this. :) I've decided to custom-paint a Flea to have an aqua blue background and a koi fish on it! From looking at the "Fluke and Flea Museum" sites online, I'm starting to notice how people really can make their own uke very individual. I'm not a good painter but I found a good simple painting that I think will work well as an inspiration to start with.

I am going to use acrylic paints for the fish but I'm wondering what I should use for the blue background? Nothing too thick, I would guess, because I don't want to dull the projection if I can help it. Should I start with a natural-colored flea to give me the barest canvas? Any ideas on this?

Whee I'm excited!

Okay, so I'm really excited about this. :) I've decided to custom-paint a Flea to have an aqua blue background and a koi fish on it! From looking at the "Fluke and Flea Museum" sites online, I'm starting to notice how people really can make their own uke very individual. I'm not a good painter but I found a good simple painting that I think will work well as an inspiration to start with.

I am going to use acrylic paints for the fish but I'm wondering what I should use for the blue background? Nothing too thick, I would guess, because I don't want to dull the projection if I can help it. Should I start with a natural-colored flea to give me the barest canvas? Any ideas on this?

Whee I'm excited!

I've painted my Flea twice. It's my tradition now to paint it a different color every year. Big Problem with painting the body is that the more paint you put on it, the duller the sound. I started sanding my Flea down to the wood before repainting to keep the sound close to the uke's original. If you put more than 1 coat on your Flea, I'd reccomend you do the same.

Please post some pics when you're done!

Thanks so much for the advice! This is completely new to me, but I'm very excited to have a new project.

P.S. Are you in L'ville, UKISOCIETY? I'm a Bellarmine grad. :)

Hmm... Next time I actually have spending money, I should buy a flea. Then find someone to paint it for me. I need to decide on a theme... Maybe a Boogiepop Phantom paint scheme. Just for the irony. [/threadjack]

Thanks so much for the advice! This is completely new to me, but I'm very excited to have a new project.

P.S. Are you in L'ville, UKISOCIETY? I'm a Bellarmine grad. :)

Fleas are pretty durable, so they're good to experiment on.
Yes, I work in Louisville at the Public Radio stations. My wife got her MAT at Bellarmine.

Haha thats very neat! Thanks for sharing...

Top Bottom