PDA

View Full Version : Nice Tuners!

collarbone
03-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Look at these new tuners from Waverly (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Ukulele_tuners/Waverly_Ukulele_Friction_Pegs.html?tab=Pictures). I really need something to replace the tuners on my Martin and these would be really nice. I'll have to measure and see if they will work.

Dan Uke
03-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Looks nice but I would go with the Gotoh as they have geared tuners inside a traditional design.

Tim Mullins
03-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Cool! It's about time somebody reproduced the old Grover barrel tuners. I'll be interested to see a review.

pdxuke
03-08-2013, 06:32 PM
These are lovely. Would love these on my tenor!

specialk13
03-08-2013, 07:59 PM
I agree, the new geared Gotoh tuners are quite nice, these are pretty though......

Looks nice but I would go with the Gotoh as they have geared tuners inside a traditional design.

Katz-in-Boots
03-08-2013, 08:48 PM
They'd look sooooo much nicer than the pinky-orange on my KoAloha. Quick, someone buy & review them for us

WhenDogsSing
03-09-2013, 01:35 AM
They'd look sooooo much nicer than the pinky-orange on my KoAloha. Quick, someone buy & review them for us

I just ordered a set for a Martin tenor. I'll do a review next week when they get here.

jwieties
03-09-2013, 03:38 AM
Wow. Those look incredible. I'm getting the gotohs on a new build. Had these been available it would have been a difficult decision. The 4:1 is nice, but I don't mind 1:1. It's really about how smooth they operate and, coming from waverly, I would suspect these are the smoothest frictions out there. And, at a fairly decent price.

uke552
03-09-2013, 04:29 AM
Those are very nice and classy looking. Thanks for the heads up!

Skinny Money McGee
03-09-2013, 05:06 AM
Wow. Those look incredible. I'm getting the gotohs on a new build. Had these been available it would have been a difficult decision. The 4:1 is nice, but I don't mind 1:1. It's really about how smooth they operate and, coming from waverly, I would suspect these are the smoothest frictions out there. And, at a fairly decent price.

They sure look nice, but looks like the friction point is on the wood instead of internal to the tuner. The exact reason I got rid of the Schaller friction tuners on my HF-1.

jwieties
03-09-2013, 05:19 AM
They sure look nice, but looks like the friction point is on the wood instead of internal to the tuner. The exact reason I got rid of the Schaller friction tuners on my HF-1.

It looks that way, but the description states: "the knob screw adjusts the tension, and an internal coil spring provides smoothness and slip-resistance". I'm just happy I didn't have to make a decision between these and the new UPT gotohs, as I'm certain I'll be extremely happy with the gotohs. I do look forward to Whendogsings review and for a few builders to get there hands on them.

collarbone
03-09-2013, 05:48 AM
I think these are a lot more elegant then the Gotoh Planetary tuners. I think this is exactly what Gotoh was shooting for, but when they tried to put those gears in there the tuner came out kind of chunky looking. It reminds me a bit of a hockey puck. The Gotohs are nice but I don't mind the 1:1 ratio and I would choose these ones in a heartbeat. That is assuming they work as nice as they look.

Dan Uke
03-09-2013, 05:56 AM
I think this is exactly what Gotoh was shooting for, but when they tried to put those gears in there the tuner came out kind of chunky looking..

Yeah, that's what happens when you put gears in it. Function over form.

As much as I like the wood, I prefer plastic as wood could crack and if you want to make it last, you have to make it bigger than plastic, which will add some weight...Again, you gotta go for function over form.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-09-2013, 06:17 AM
I guess it's just me but it appears the Waverly design department had a contest to see how awful looking they could make a tuner. This one won the prize. Uhg! They should call them "Stubbies". Being Waverlys though I have no doubt that the quality is excellent.

collarbone
03-09-2013, 07:54 AM
À chacun son goût. Like many other things here on UU when it comes to aesthetics we will never come to a consensus.

OldePhart
03-09-2013, 08:04 AM

Oh, the humanity! (Though I have to admit the amber tuners wouldn't look right on a mahogany uke...but, on koa and mango dey lovely!) :)

John

BlackBearUkes
03-09-2013, 09:03 AM
i like the new Waverly tuners, mostly because they have smaller knobs. I am constantly reducing the size of the Grover friction tuner knobs because they are so bulky looking on small ukes. The new geared Gotoh Planetary tuners are really smooth, light weight and I even put them on a sopranino uke recently and they work great. I will definitely try the new Waverly tuners although they look too small for a tenor size uke. The tenor string tension is higher and small tuners don't like that much tension. That is why Martin used a different tuner for their concert and tenor ukes.

I am really happy with all these new tuners made for ukes and are finally available. I still don't like Pegheds.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-09-2013, 12:55 PM
À chacun son goût. Like many other things here on UU when it comes to aesthetics we will never come to a consensus.

Shoots, now I gotta learn Spanish to participate on Uke Talk!

Black Bear: I agree that these tuners would look better on a soprano than they would on tenor sizes. (I have a nasty habit of thinking only in the tenor sense. My bad.) And I also like the new Gotoh planetary tuners. Very smooth, well made and a wide variety of button options.

Skinny Money McGee
03-09-2013, 01:06 PM
It looks that way, but the description states: "the knob screw adjusts the tension, and an internal coil spring provides smoothness and slip-resistance".

Which is exactly how the Kamaka Schallers work. Kamaka is switching to the Gotoh planetarys from what I hear.

Skinny Money McGee
03-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Shoots, now I gotta learn Spanish to participate on Uke Talk!

Lol, I can cuss in French !!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-09-2013, 02:17 PM
I still wonder why the housing is tapered.

Cornfield
03-09-2013, 02:28 PM

What did you replace them with. They seem huge on my HF-1

BlackBearUkes
03-09-2013, 02:37 PM
I still wonder why the housing is tapered.

Chuck, the housing is tapered because that is how the vintage tuners that Martin and Gibson used on their sopranos were made. The tapered portion fits into the wood, which provides more wear surface and they are self centering. You have to use a tapered bit to install them. (Not sure of the angle on these) The top washer also has a bit of a taper but I don't think you have to taper the top hole. Look closely at the link the OP has provided and check out the spec sheet they have on the site. These are small tuners. I have had many of these old tuners in the past and I have always used them on sopranos. They work well. Nice thing about the knob also is that they do not fit onto a square shaft, just a round one. The knob itself slips into the barrel providing better grip and less wear. I am definitely going to try these soon.

Chris Tarman
03-09-2013, 02:59 PM
I think those are really sharp looking. They look a lot like the barrel-style tuners on my Martin Style 3 and my Gibson Uke 3. I love the ebony buttons!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks for your insight Duane. You would know better than me when it comes to vintage ukes. And honestly, I didn't care for the Gotoh planetary tuners when I first saw the pictures, they looked so bulky. It was only when I saw them with my own eyes that I realized how small they were. Perhaps it's the same with the Waverlys. The price sure is right.

Skinny Money McGee
03-10-2013, 01:50 AM
What did you replace them with. They seem huge on my HF-1

Replaced with Gotoh deluxe tuners. They are smooth as silk and don't use the wood as the friction point.

Cornfield
03-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Replaced with Gotoh deluxe tuners. They are smooth as silk and don't use the wood as the friction point.

Were those the planetary tuners? I really don't like friction tuners.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
03-10-2013, 02:43 PM
.... The tapered portion fits into the wood, which provides more wear surface and they are self centering. You have to use a tapered bit to install them. (Not sure of the angle on these)

I'm sure stewmac will come out with a tapering tool especially for it...

OldePhart
03-10-2013, 02:46 PM

Yep, probably sell 'em for about $199... :)

John

specialk13
03-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Pretty close guys:

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/0459

Yep, probably sell 'em for about $199... :)

John

Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles

BlackBearUkes
03-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Actually, you can use a standard counter sink bit and turn it by hand, but if I remember right, these new tuners don't quite fit the countersink bit perfectly. I think I made a simple tool to do this job, a modified countersink.