Nice Tuners!

Looks nice but I would go with the Gotoh as they have geared tuners inside a traditional design.

Cool! It's about time somebody reproduced the old Grover barrel tuners. I'll be interested to see a review.

These are lovely. Would love these on my tenor!

They'd look sooooo much nicer than the pinky-orange on my KoAloha. Quick, someone buy & review them for us

Wow. Those look incredible. I'm getting the gotohs on a new build. Had these been available it would have been a difficult decision. The 4:1 is nice, but I don't mind 1:1. It's really about how smooth they operate and, coming from waverly, I would suspect these are the smoothest frictions out there. And, at a fairly decent price.

Those are very nice and classy looking. Thanks for the heads up!

Wow. Those look incredible. I'm getting the gotohs on a new build. Had these been available it would have been a difficult decision. The 4:1 is nice, but I don't mind 1:1. It's really about how smooth they operate and, coming from waverly, I would suspect these are the smoothest frictions out there. And, at a fairly decent price.

They sure look nice, but looks like the friction point is on the wood instead of internal to the tuner. The exact reason I got rid of the Schaller friction tuners on my HF-1.

They sure look nice, but looks like the friction point is on the wood instead of internal to the tuner. The exact reason I got rid of the Schaller friction tuners on my HF-1.

It looks that way, but the description states: "the knob screw adjusts the tension, and an internal coil spring provides smoothness and slip-resistance". I'm just happy I didn't have to make a decision between these and the new UPT gotohs, as I'm certain I'll be extremely happy with the gotohs. I do look forward to Whendogsings review and for a few builders to get there hands on them.

Last edited:
I think these are a lot more elegant then the Gotoh Planetary tuners. I think this is exactly what Gotoh was shooting for, but when they tried to put those gears in there the tuner came out kind of chunky looking. It reminds me a bit of a hockey puck. The Gotohs are nice but I don't mind the 1:1 ratio and I would choose these ones in a heartbeat. That is assuming they work as nice as they look.

I think this is exactly what Gotoh was shooting for, but when they tried to put those gears in there the tuner came out kind of chunky looking..

Yeah, that's what happens when you put gears in it. Function over form.

As much as I like the wood, I prefer plastic as wood could crack and if you want to make it last, you have to make it bigger than plastic, which will add some weight...Again, you gotta go for function over form.

Last edited:
I guess it's just me but it appears the Waverly design department had a contest to see how awful looking they could make a tuner. This one won the prize. Uhg! They should call them "Stubbies". Being Waverlys though I have no doubt that the quality is excellent.

Last edited:
They'd look sooooo much nicer than the pinky-orange on my KoAloha. Quick, someone buy & review them for us

Oh, the humanity! (Though I have to admit the amber tuners wouldn't look right on a mahogany uke...but, on koa and mango dey lovely!) :)

John

i like the new Waverly tuners, mostly because they have smaller knobs. I am constantly reducing the size of the Grover friction tuner knobs because they are so bulky looking on small ukes. The new geared Gotoh Planetary tuners are really smooth, light weight and I even put them on a sopranino uke recently and they work great. I will definitely try the new Waverly tuners although they look too small for a tenor size uke. The tenor string tension is higher and small tuners don't like that much tension. That is why Martin used a different tuner for their concert and tenor ukes.

I am really happy with all these new tuners made for ukes and are finally available. I still don't like Pegheds.

À chacun son goût. Like many other things here on UU when it comes to aesthetics we will never come to a consensus.

Shoots, now I gotta learn Spanish to participate on Uke Talk!

Black Bear: I agree that these tuners would look better on a soprano than they would on tenor sizes. (I have a nasty habit of thinking only in the tenor sense. My bad.) And I also like the new Gotoh planetary tuners. Very smooth, well made and a wide variety of button options.

It looks that way, but the description states: "the knob screw adjusts the tension, and an internal coil spring provides smoothness and slip-resistance".

Which is exactly how the Kamaka Schallers work. Kamaka is switching to the Gotoh planetarys from what I hear.

Top Bottom