Wow, the more I look the more I find...

DaveVisi

Reaction score
I was stunned to find a crack one morning on my $300 solid Mahogany Ohana. When I tried repairing it, I noticed that the edges were no longer flush. It's as if the end block was a bit too tall and the top was pushed down until it "fit" and then glued. There's something to be said for the glue used as the wood gave out first. No, the separation line is rock solid. It can't be pushed down. It's as if it was pushed up from below. Is this even possible?

On looking closer I also noticed something I hadn't seen before. The finish on the neck was bubbling, looking somewhat like what the old style Contact paper would look like with air pockets. I never notice this before in the year or so I've had this.

Knowing I should stop while I'm behind, I looked the rest of the Uke over and noticed what looked like a really bad glue job on the neck joint, as if they used the glue as a "fillet" to smooth out the seam before finishing.

It's really disturbing, as this is my favorite player. Sounds and feels better than all my others.

Thoughts? Ideas for repair?
DSCF4545.jpgDSCF4547.jpgDSCF4552.jpgDSCF4551.jpg

Last edited:
I think you may have a drying out shrinkage problem there Dave....You do! live in a desert area I believe..or is "Las Vagas" a cold damp rainy place? like where I live :(

Well, it's cold and damp this weekend, but not usually. I'm more puzzled now about the appearance of the air bubble in the neck finish.

Does anyone know what Ohana uses as a finish? I wonder if it can be repaired and blended in somehow?

I was thinking of sanding/scraping the blisters until everything was smooth and trying to "spot finish" with some tinted shellac to match. (mainly because it's what I have on hand from a violin repair)

Not sure how old it is, but check into possible replacement under warranty- and it will keep bubbling.

Like Chuck said, wait till the neck annoys you, strip it and just rub or spray on shellac or poly in a can yourself.

I'm not the original owner, and it's way past a year since I got it. No idea how long before that. I'm probably eventually going with Chuck's idea. Was just wondering if anyone might have any explanation why it might have happened in the first place.

Top Bottom