experimenting with Martin S-1 saddles

dismount

Reaction score
I like to fiddle with my ukes, and my S-1 is a great sounding uke but it lacks the bark I personnaly like with a Mhg. soprano. I wanted to use ebony but I'm out and can't find more but I do have a slab of Brazillan rose wood and made a saddle for the martin. I let it settle in for a few days and kept the same strings on it. Now it is very loud and has a good bark to my heavy strumming. I made the saddle alittle higher and the buzzing stopped also. It has that vintage martin sound to me. To me its amazing the sound difference! Earlier I posted about doing the same to my Ohana sk-35 and got the same great results. Thanks, Phil

I found this inspiring. Had a little time today and need for a little therapy. So I fashioned a new ebony saddle for my S-1. Also set mine a bit higher...just a touch. Put the Martrin flouros back on for a bit...but then thought, "Hell, as long as I'm experimenting!"...I restrung with Worth BMs. So now those are settling in. Can't tell what I think yet. But I had fun!

ebony saddle.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glas someone else is trying this. Please post what you think Nicko, I'm curious to see if you get the same results. Dis.

A few days now. The Worth browns have settled in. I'm liking them quite a bit on the S-1. I think they lend this uke a bit more personality!

Liking the ebony saddle and slightly higher action as well.

Planning on fashioning myself an ebony nut, too. Possibly this weekend coming up, if I can manage the time.

I guess it will then be time to change out the tuners for something slick w ebony buttons. Wait! Didn't I see something around here this very week?! Off to do a little searching. Frictions, I think they were. Nice looking as I recall. Or maybe those Gotoh planetary numbers -- though I don't think they offered ebony buttons.

Later: the Waverly tuners look GREAT but require chamfering the headstock. Not crazy about that bit (guess that's a pun). Just ordered Grover Sta-Tite 4B. Same tuner that comes as standard on the S-1, but in black.

Last edited:
Man. You're going all out! I don't have cahooneys to pop off the nut. Good luck we need a show called. " flip this uke" too bad Martin couldn't do these from the factory. The s 1 is diamond in the rough. Phil

Well, made my ebony nut for the S-1 yesterday. Worked out great. I've ordered some black tuners, too.

ebonynutS1.jpg

I'll be putting on Grover 2b black tuners and I'm done. Got my Martin looking and sounding the way a Martin should. Glad yours turned out Nicko. Phil

What strings? some Aquilas?

Top Bottom