Travel case or gig bag for baritone ukulele?

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am planning to fly later this year with a baritone ukulele. The ukulele is currently in an Oahu-type hard case, but I was hoping to find something that would protect it as well as the hard case as a carryon piece on an airplane but also provide shoulder straps, which will make it easier to carry with other luggage. I have a tenor sized Kamoa fiberglass case and that worked really well during my trip to Hawaii last fall, but Kamoa no longer makes baritone fiberglass cases and I can't find one anywhere. I've looked at the Reunion Blues website, and they have great gig bags (I have one), but they're only made in tenor and concert scale, and I have a Mono case that fits a tenor but not a baritone. Could a baritone ukulele fit into a gig bag or travel case made for a parlor guitar or other small guitar? I guess I could commission some sort of cloth bag with shoulder straps that I could fit my Oahu-style baritone case into. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for the link, UkeKiddinMe!

All this baritone talk on UU recently, and nobody else wants to share how they travel with their baris (or barrys)? Hm.

All this baritone talk on UU recently, and nobody else wants to share how they travel with their baris (or barrys)? Hm.

Mark, if it'll fit into a Fusion F1 you can borrow mine for your trip.

Mark, if it'll fit into a Fusion F1 you can borrow mine for your trip.

Mark--I've never travelled with any uke other than a Dolphin :)

Seriously - Kala often advertises how their stuff is designed to fit in overhead compartments.
Their padded bag/cases are really good. The one I have for my UBass is fantastic and would fit just about anywhere.

Polyfoams are very sturdy and offer considerably more protection than most gig bags. They are very lightweight compared to a hardshell, but also a bit bulkier. Should still fit into a typical overhead, though.

Most gig bags, no matter how much padding they have, can't protect against something really heavy being sat on top of it.

And while a uke may be within your carry-on limit, there is never a guarantee that you'll be able to take it into the cabin and you could be forced to check it at the gate.

I used to do a lot of day/overnight trips from Burbank to SFO. These flights were always packed, mainly with solo business commuters, all with their max allowed carry-ons. When the overheads are full, they're full, and you will have to gate check anything that doesn't fit under the seat in front of you.

So if you have a choice for assigned seating, pick one near the rear of the plane if they use those tubular jetways to board because they will board from the back to the front, and early boarders get first crack at the overheads.

OTOH, I once flew to Orlando, which is considered a "vacation destination"... lots of families with kids who were obviously staying a few days. This crowd takes big suitcases and baggage checks them. The overheads were practically empty.

I know this is coming from a long time ago, but it's bari. I used to play a baritone sax in band, and I was the entire 'bari' section.

I know this is coming from a long time ago, but it's bari. I used to play a baritone sax in band, and I was the entire 'bari' section.

I'm with you on this. There was a bunch of baritone-related threads recently in which the term "barry" was used. When I made a joke to the effect that every time I saw that word I thought of a Barry Manilow song, the posting UU member responded that when he tried to type "bari" in his iPhone, the spelling correction software always changed it to "barry" and that he didn't want to be bothered with changing it back to "bari." I understand that, but as a purist who also doesn't want Barry Manilow earworms festering in my brain, I prefer the term "bari." I included "barry" in parentheses to be inclusive, but thank you for supporting my original point in those other baritone ukulele threads.

Hello!

An important question which I aslo had to solve recently for my Baritone Ukulele. My choice finally was a Lanikai Hardbag, kind of a hybrid between a normal gigbag and a regular hard case. These feature a 25mm protection compared to about 10mm for a standard gigbag. You can also use it as backpack which makes it very convenient for travelling, especially when you have other luggage to carry. :)

All the best,

Ananas

I just ordered one of the $60 Lanakai specials from Butler Music and ordered a $29 Lanakai gig bag to go with it.

Top Bottom