A thread to end all questions about dimensions and details

Sven

Reaction score
Yup, work has been done to regulate this, and it was done a long time ago. My friend Robert found this, a standard for ukuleles:

According to this standard (quote from Music Trade Review 15 october 1927) a uke shall be made as follows:

1. Scale length (Distance from nut to bridge): Inches.
a. Standard Size Ukulele 13 to 13 3/4 inches
b. Concert Size Ukulele 13 to 14 1/2 inches
c. Tenor Size Ukulele 14 1/2 to 15 3/4 inches

2. Must have not less than twelve (12) frets.

3. Back must be curved or arched.

4. Body must be not less than two (2) inches deep at lower bout.

5. Top of sounding board must be of onetwelfth (1/12) inch veneer, approximately

6. Frame or sides must be lined.

7. Sound hole must be trimmed with celluloid or inlaid purfling.

8. Ribs must be sanded or finished off smooth.

9. Frets, after correct regulation, must be slightly rounded, to enable the player to execute the glissando without cutting fingers or strings.

10. Height of strings:
a. Above top edge of first fret must be not less than one-thirty-second (1/32) inch nor more than three-sixty-fourths (3/64) inch.
b. Above top edge of twelfth fret must be not less than one-eighth (1/8 ) inch nor more than five-thirty-seconds (5/32) inch.

The magazine tells the following story about the standard itself:

"This work was begun last year, when all of the members of the Association were asked to submit their ukulele products to the committee for examination and approval as to workmanship, quality of materials, measurement and tone. The instruments submitted were sent to the offices of the Chamber last Winter, where, after examination by the committee, they were accepted or rejected, according to their fitness. Those manufacturers whose ukuleles were accepted were furnished with the standard approved label, which is now being attached to all approved instruments shipped.
The quality instrument is now the standard approved instrument. A good talking point is afforded the dealer handling the standard approved ukulele because he can truthfully assure the consumer that it has been examined and tested by a committee fitted by knowledge and experience to judge fretted instrument quality. The committee is now ready to turn its attention to the banjo, guitar and mandolin and work on these instruments will be started immediately."

That settles it!

The committee is now ready to turn its attention to the banjo, guitar and mandolin and work on these instruments will be started immediately." [/I]

The committee were then hung, drawn and quartered by the Banjo, Guitar and Mandolin communities! ;)

No mention of Koa or Hawaii. I think I like this article !

All you have to do is tell people how things have to be done, and they will do the opposite.

Tenor scale length 14 1/2-15 3/4??? And I've been doing it wrong for all these years?????:cool: thought 17" fit pretty well , what with sound hole location, lower bout geometry, etc.etc......

Oops, sorry - I must have accidentally left out two points on the list:

11. Always use the most modern adhesive you can find, don't be afraid to try something never before used in instrument building. Things get better all the time!

12. During construction, re-invent the wheel at least twice.

Mmm. Beer. There are, however, rules:

1. Beer glass must be held with hollow side up when pouring beer.

2. If drinking with a friend, be sure to buy every other round.

3. If drinking with two friends, don't bother trying to count.

I'm guessing the "un-written" part of what they were attempting to communicate was, the addition of a little pakalolo smoke tightens up the old, archaic tried & true adhesives quite nicely - & there's always a 2nd & 3rd shot if it ain't right & comes apart the 1st time.. well, long as the pakalolo pile doesn't de-materialize!
:uhoh:

Oops, sorry - I must have accidentally left out two points on the list:

11. Always use the most modern adhesive you can find, don't be afraid to try something never before used in instrument building. Things get better all the time!

12. During construction, re-invent the wheel at least twice.

Top Bottom