pickup opinions?

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
so my leolani has a shadow pickup installed. its alright i guess. i dont have any complaints. my hilo has a no-name pickup that i ripped out of an old steel string no-name guitar. i have to turn the tone all the way down, and mess with my EQ on my amp for the sound to come out anywhere close to what a uke sounds like.

now i have this lanikai 6 string. i love how it sounds. but when i purchased it, i had no intention on ever installing strap buttons or a pickup on it. but my brother convinced me that i should. so i got the buttons on. now i need a pickup. i totally loved how ibcruzn's kamaka sounded with that fishman matrix pickup. but its just a little too rich for me, and i cant justify paying more for the pickup than i did for the uke. so i was looking at the fishman AG series pickup for the uke. biggest difference is that it is passive so no battery needed. and i like the fact that there are no controls. just the condenser and the jack. so does anyone have any words on the AG series of fishman pickups?

what kind of pickups do you guys have in your ukes and how do you like them? just trying to get an idea of what else is out there, too.

thanks.

I'm not familiar with the Fishman AG series of pickups. Looks like the cheapest I saw it at was around $80. If you can muster up another $40 or so you can get the Mi Si Acoustic Trio for $112 at Elderly Music. These pickups sound good and also don't require a battery. You simply charge them with the included charger for 60 seconds (120 seconds the first couple of times) and you get up to 16 hours of stage time. No memory issues from charging. You can just charge before each performance and you are good to go.
Good luck,

so my leolani has a shadow pickup installed. its alright i guess. i dont have any complaints. my hilo has a no-name pickup that i ripped out of an old steel string no-name guitar. i have to turn the tone all the way down, and mess with my EQ on my amp for the sound to come out anywhere close to what a uke sounds like.

now i have this lanikai 6 string. i love how it sounds. but when i purchased it, i had no intention on ever installing strap buttons or a pickup on it. but my brother convinced me that i should. so i got the buttons on. now i need a pickup. i totally loved how ibcruzn's kamaka sounded with that fishman matrix pickup. but its just a little too rich for me, and i cant justify paying more for the pickup than i did for the uke. so i was looking at the fishman AG series pickup for the uke. biggest difference is that it is passive so no battery needed. and i like the fact that there are no controls. just the condenser and the jack. so does anyone have any words on the AG series of fishman pickups?

what kind of pickups do you guys have in your ukes and how do you like them? just trying to get an idea of what else is out there, too.

thanks.

NUKER... Hey man. I have a passive Dean Markley in my Pono Tenor...love it. It is so simple and light. I have not had any issues with it personally. I have heard people say that passives are an issue because the volume can be low?? I power mine thru just a Roland Micro-Cube and it is fairly loud. I am assuming that if you have a more powerful amp...the volume could be performance level..who knows?

I had a Fishman installed by Koaloha in my tenor. I is powered and just has a volume conrol only...pretty simple. Because I am trying to find the best strings for this model....still not totally satisfied with the sound...although it is very nice already.

I have a Shadow in my Lanikai CK-TEQ and it seems like it might be too powerful no matter what I do to the amp or controls on the uke. I have heard others say the same.....almost like it is too sensitive...

Hope that helps..

Top Bottom