Beginning singers

pakiboy949

Reaction score
One of the best ways to become a better singer is to record yourself and study how you sound and try to fix any problems.

The version from dummies is a great resource for beginner singers. thanks for posting it :)

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2013,subcat-ARTS.html?print=true

I was actually given an expensive singing course called "Brett Manning's Singing Success". Some people say that buying those courses is a waste of money... I assure you its not, if you buy the right one. Check out Brett manning though he is a very good teacher.

http://www.singingsuccess.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Manning

Last edited:
recording yourself is defffinateelllly needed. Use your phone if anything.

Melodyne

I have been trying to improve my singing by recording and using melodyne. Its an autotune like program that allows you to change the pitch of vocals. But it also lets you see if your singing is "on the note". I would like to see what a vocal instructor thinks of the program.

http://www.celemony.com/cms/

your voice usually sounds different when you record it on a phone sooo. i'd recommend using your digital camera or if you have a mic on your computer to use that.

Ugh, It's not like she's wrong, but she's not really great at explaining what's going on. I'd recommend something not popular on a forum no doubt, but there are great voice teachers out there and it's much safer for your voice, it's fun, and you learn it properly.

The problem is, we're not the best judges of how we sound. We're too close to our own voices, and it's no shame to use a voice teacher. From the person first opening their mouths to sing a note to the famous opera singer - they all use voice teachers.

Another thing is that the voice teacher knows how best to instruct you because they can hear your voice. Not every little trick is going to work on everyone. A teacher in the room with you for 30 minutes once a week is going to know how best to help you.

And everyone can learn to sing better than they do. We all have our limits, but can a voice teacher get you sounding better? Yes, they can. :)

I know it's a forum and people want the internet fix. For the voice it just doesn't work that way. Think of your voice as Jake's custom Kamaka. But you have to use it for more than just singing, you have to use it for everything. What if you broke it? And there's no replacing it.

I started to sing more seriously not long ago and I think I found a good start: Sing loud as H-e-l-l!

Don't hold back when you sing. A week ago I was home alone and all of a sudden I started to sing louder and louder. It felt great! :D

When you sing loud it's easier, atleast for me, to find the tones, to wale/wail(don't know you spell that) and to controll your voice.

It's my tip, maybe it won't work for you, maybe it will. Good luck and have fun. :)

I started to sing more seriously not long ago and I think I found a good start: Sing loud as H-e-l-l!

Don't hold back when you sing. A week ago I was home alone and all of a sudden I started to sing louder and louder. It felt great! :D

When you sing loud it's easier, atleast for me, to find the tones, to wale/wail(don't know you spell that) and to controll your voice.

It's my tip, maybe it won't work for you, maybe it will. Good luck and have fun. :)

Well, that makes some sense. If you are singing loudly that means you are giving yourself enough breath support which is very important for a singer. Use that diaphragm!

Yeah no phone recording I'd suggest, definatly sounds so different.

Take a voice class. I think thats what helped me a lot. I already knew how to sing coming into the class but there was so much didn't know that made me a better singer, like how good posture can improve your singing and good breathing techniques. during the week we would rehearse in front of the class then on friday we record it on video. The big plus is that you're not gonna pay hundreds of dollars for lessons. you just pay for your credits and hopefully you'll have a teacher like mine who is a professional singer but more importantly wants to help you improve. You also meet a lot of great people who give you feedback.

I taught a children's performing group for 17 years. The best tips I can give you is to drop your jaw, relax your throat, and breathe deep from your lower diaphragm. Sit up straight or stand when singing. You will automatically sing louder that way without screaming and hurting your throat and vocal chords. Also, sing songs out of your comfortable range. The more you sing high or low the wider you vocal range will stretch.

IF YOU CAN WALK, YOU CAN DANCE, IF YOU CAN TALK, YOU CAN SING!

This thread makes me want to sing more! Note: I cannot be held accountable for all the yowling cats and dogs nor the birds and bats that may fly into your windows as I practice.
Actually, after playing the uke, my confidence in my singing did increase. I sang at karaoke for the first time last year!

Top Bottom