David Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" (ukulele cover)

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
OK, so who here remembers the crazy, trippy video for David Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" song on MTV? I LOVED this song (ah, still do, yep!) but the video used to kinda scare me! This song is, appropriately as such, off of David Bowie's album Scary Monsters -- I think it's from 1980. Hope you have a fun trip down memory lane with this one!

Brilliant work Chelle. Wow, what a left-field song to translate to uke and you've done it superbly. Excellent vocal too. And thanks for making all those phrases clear in the lyrics that I never understood before...he he

That's always been one of my favorite Bowie songs (possibly my favorite ever), and you did a great job with it! I remember the video, too. Yeah, it was kind of scary! I hadn't heard it in years, until about two years ago when it was stuck in my head and I had to download a Best of Bowie compilation. I had forgotten how sonically ahead of its time it was. Sound and production-wise, it had a lot of similarity to Peter Gabriel's stuff from that period, which I hadn't noticed before.

Very nice. This is a song that I can't help singing along with every time I play the Changesbowie album.

Never heard the song before but I liked it very much... very cool and well done...

I really like this cover, great job Hochapeafarm, you nailed it and not an easy song to transpose onto a ukulele

Hi, Jon! Thanks so very much, friend, for your wonderful support and thoughtful comments! I actually didn't know all of the words until I learned the song -- I had always wondered for so many years, but now I know! :)

Brilliant work Chelle. Wow, what a left-field song to translate to uke and you've done it superbly. Excellent vocal too. And thanks for making all those phrases clear in the lyrics that I never understood before...he he

Hi, Chris! Thank you so much for watching my David Bowie cover! I really appreciate your encouragement and feedback a lot, too! I am also a huge fan of Peter Gabriel...which has me thinking that I might have to attempt a Peter Gabriel, cover tune too! :)

That's always been one of my favorite Bowie songs (possibly my favorite ever), and you did a great job with it! I remember the video, too. Yeah, it was kind of scary! I hadn't heard it in years, until about two years ago when it was stuck in my head and I had to download a Best of Bowie compilation. I had forgotten how sonically ahead of its time it was. Sound and production-wise, it had a lot of similarity to Peter Gabriel's stuff from that period, which I hadn't noticed before.

Hey, Eric! So great to get your positive feedback -- thanks so very much for watching! I am so glad that you liked the cover! And, yeah, that video was so wild -- it still kinda makes me wierded out to watch it! But, I think that many of his videos are trippy like that -- speaking of which, have you seen his new video for his new song "Where Are We Now" (from his new album The Next Day)? There's another one that's kinda "trippy!"

Chelle this is awesome! Right up my alley! That video sure freaked me out as a kid, but I loved it anyway. Keep 'em coming!

Hi there, BigSkyUkuleleGirl! Thanks so much for your awesome support and positive feedback -- it means a great deal to me! Where are you in Montana, btw? That state is absolutely GORGEOUS! I especially am fond of the Missoula area! Thanks, again, for posting such nice comments! :)

Brilliant!!! Love it!!

Hey there, uke4ia (I love that screen name, btw!) I am so grateful for your feedback and support; thanks very much for writing your impressions! I agree that this Bowie tune is one that one can't help but sing along to as well! That one -- and another one that does it for me is "Under Pressure (with Queen)!"

Very nice. This is a song that I can't help singing along with every time I play the Changesbowie album.

Tailgate ~ Hello and many, many thanks for checking out my cover of Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" -- I am really happy to hear that you liked it! Thanks a ton for your feedback and for watching -- it's great to have so much support from folks on UU! I feel so blessed! :)

Never heard the song before but I liked it very much... very cool and well done...

Top Bottom