Worth strings on a Collings concert?

Leigh Coates

Reaction score
It's time to change the strings on my Collings UC-2, and I was thinking of putting Worth (brown) on it. Has anyone tried this?

Pretty sure it has Aquila's on it now,.. it still has the original strings

Hi Porridge Head,

I'll be interested in the answer to your question as well.

Glancing at you uke inventory, we have three in common. I love the way you classify Ukes as mahogany or not!

Cheers
Jacq

Bill Collings is now installing Worth clears on his new ukes at the factory. Can't hurt to try a set of browns.

I tried the Worth Browns on my UT2-K and they were very good. I actually like the Martin 630s (also fluorocarbon) on now, and I have a set of Southcoast Medium Gauge on deck. You should notice an improvement in clarity and string definition with the Worths. Good luck!

Just slapped a set of Worth browns on my Big Island all koa soprano (Aquilas came standard) and "POW" I gained the softer, melodic tone I was hoping for. The Aquilas were a little too bright and a little too "noisy" with this uke. The only issue I've encountered is while playing blues style during bends and vibrato. There's little note clarity/separation because the strings tend to "blend" the chord played over the top. Also, Worth strings seem to be made of a harder material so they don't bend as well.

Have Living Waters on my UT3... sounds great

My UC-2 came with Worth Clears, and they feel like they might be the hard tension version. Can anyone else possibly speak to whether Collings is using hard or medium tension Worth Clears now? Whatever the case, I like them a lot.

Regarding the Worth Browns... I've now tried Browns on four different ukes (not the Collings, though), and each case resulted in me going back to the hard tension Clears. I think they sound sweeter, but some of it is preferred feel too. If I swap out the strings on the UC-2, I think I will give the South Coast mediums a try next.

-Steve

Worth Clear (Hard Polymer) CH on all my ukes. Not a big fan of the brown Worths, which are more rubbery and soft sounding.

Top Bottom