NUD- KoAloha Slimline Concert

Katz-in-Boots

Reaction score
Well, this is a few days old. I am still not sure about this ebay purchase.
View attachment 50036View attachment 50037View attachment 50038View attachment 50039View attachment 50040

Described as:
"Up for sale is a Extremely RARE One of a Kind KoAloha Concert Slim Line Ukulele with a Mi-si Active Pickup Installed.
This ukulele is one of a kind! KoAloha has released their new Tenor Slim Line Ukuleles this year but this is a NON Production Custom Concert Slimline model.
Here is your chance to get this one of a kind piece! Great if you are a KoAloha Collector or if you just want a great ukulele! Only Slim Concert in the WORLD!!!
You can see in the last picture how much slimmer this piece is compared to a regular Concert.
This Ukulele is Brand New with a Factory installed Mi-si Active Pickup."

What I like about it? Slimline, very light & easy to hold. It has Mi-si if I ever want to go amplified.

What I don't like about it? The glossy finish makes it look (IMHO) like a toy or lower end instrument. The sound is very bright too. I also think the action is a little high for me.

Don't know what strings it came with, so I put on some Living Water strings cos I know I like them. It's starting to settle into tune now and improve its tone.
Just not sure whether it's right for me.

Last edited:
I saw that bad boy on Ebay last month! :) Some time ago, I was shopping for an upper mid-priced uke & narrowed the choice between a KoAloha & Kanile'a. The aesthetics of the Kanile'a won the battle hands down largely owing to their incredible finishing process, somewhat akin to what Taylor Guitars uses (not a fan of Taylor's newer production instruments, with the exception of their always amazing finishing). However, tone is always #1 for me, and KoAloha won that competition -- at least with respect to my ears.

I totally agree about KoAloha's gloss finishing -- Kanile'a uses multiple micro-thin layers with a UV curing process that creates a near flawless finish that doesn't look like it was shot with a HPLV, a-la KoAloha. I really dig KoAloha & respect the heck outta the Okami family, but I wish they'd re-vamp their (gloss) finishing process!

As far as the action & brightness, I really think you should find a qualified tech who can recommend a string to tone that down & adjust the action for you -- it's a big purchase & a great, unique NON-production from one of Hawai'i's premier manufacturers - my personal (for what that's worth) favorite of the biggies. Give her a chance.. I buy, sell & trade very unique and occasionally ultra-expensive guitars & it's not uncommon to experience several sleepless nights after completing a transaction, wondering if I've made the right decision. Most of the time, after the newness settles in....I realize that if I'm still unhappy after a few months, I can sell or trade for something else I can stress over! :shaka:

Best of luck!

Alo)(a,
Sean (NKO)

It's a little surprising to hear that someone is not completely satisfied with a Koaloha..

The "bright" tone is signature of the Koaloha series, and is what people generally buy them for.

Good news is Koaloha has an unbeatable customer service.
Even if you bought it second-hand, the lifetime warranty still applies.
The best option is perhaps contact them and see what kind of solution they offer you.

I think I'll need a microscope to view your pictures.
What is this, an ukulele display for ants?

I saw that bad boy on Ebay last month! :) Some time ago, I was shopping for an upper mid-priced uke & narrowed the choice between a KoAloha & Kanile'a. The aesthetics of the Kanile'a won the battle hands down largely owing to their incredible finishing process, somewhat akin to what Taylor Guitars uses (not a fan of Taylor's newer production instruments, with the exception of their always amazing finishing). However, tone is always #1 for me, and KoAloha won that competition -- at least with respect to my ears.

I totally agree about KoAloha's gloss finishing -- Kanile'a uses multiple micro-thin layers with a UV curing process that creates a near flawless finish that doesn't look like it was shot with a HPLV, a-la KoAloha. I really dig KoAloha & respect the heck outta the Okami family, but I wish they'd re-vamp their (gloss) finishing process!

As far as the action & brightness, I really think you should find a qualified tech who can recommend a string to tone that down & adjust the action for you -- it's a big purchase & a great, unique NON-production from one of Hawai'i's premier manufacturers - my personal (for what that's worth) favorite of the biggies. Give her a chance.. I buy, sell & trade very unique and occasionally ultra-expensive guitars & it's not uncommon to experience several sleepless nights after completing a transaction, wondering if I've made the right decision. Most of the time, after the newness settles in....I realize that if I'm still unhappy after a few months, I can sell or trade for something else I can stress over! :shaka:

Best of luck!

Alo)(a,
Sean (NKO)

Thank you, your response is very reassuring.

It's a little surprising to hear that someone is not completely satisfied with a Koaloha..

The "bright" tone is signature of the Koaloha series, and is what people generally buy them for.

The best option is perhaps contact them and see what kind of solution they offer you.

I think I'll need a microscope to view your pictures.
What is this, an ukulele display for ants?

As for not being completely satisfied with a KoAloha:
I've only been playing about 3 months
There really aren't opportunities to try many different brands once you get above a certain $ level in this state.
My progression through brands is reflected in my signature.
The Kanilea is so sweet, full & rich that the KoAloha seems a bit tinny in comparison.
I figure a slimline isn't going to give me the volume of the Kanilea
Probably it's really just a different sound and a matter of taste.

Sorry, I copied the pics from the ebay listing, I thought those would be enlargable here are some I took today, with my Kanilea for comparison:

View attachment 50094View attachment 50095View attachment 50096View attachment 50097

Last edited:

What options are you talking about? It does not protect you against not liking the sound or high action.

Wow -- you've made quite the progression in three months! Have you entertained acquiring amplification? Crate and Dean Markley (Ultra Sound) make some very nice inexpensive combos designed for acoustic amplification (unlike the giant boat anchors I happen to own, with the exception of several amp modeling devices); while Fishman, Trace Elliot & Genz Benz put together some simply incredible higher end stuff. I suppose it's not a simple task in your part of the world to roll over to a shop & plug in....taking a few amps (or Ukes..) for a spin to see if they're worthy. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to be here in NorCal with so many diverse options to "try b4 u buy"

As I mentioned previously (perhaps in another thread) while I'm not a big fan of the quite popular & highly lauded Taylor brand, I had the opportunity to play a fairly expensive, but VERY thin Taylor T-5, and couldn't believe the price for the sound (waay thin & not very pleasing at all) -- that is, until I plugged it in.. WOW!!! Simply amazing sound, and while I doubt I'll ever own a high-end Taylor, amplification facilitated an entire new appreciation for a company & technology they developed, which I'd felt was seriously over-rated for many years (for a number of reasons too deep to address in this particular venue..)

Anyway, just thought I'd roll that by ya..

Hope things improve & something materializes which helps that awesome KoAloha put a big smile on your face.. :)

Thank you, your response is very reassuring.
There really aren't opportunities to try many different brands once you get above a certain $ level in this state.
The Kanilea is so sweet, full & rich that the KoAloha seems a bit tinny in comparison.

Last edited:

Those two are probably the biggest reasons why the KoAloha isn't floating your boat. If you tried it out in a store, would you have paid for it? And you know, your tastes may change, some people like different sounds to come from their ukes. (Which is part of the reason why so many on UU have so many; the sounds can vary widely.) I do think you've spent enough $$ on it to give new strings and changing the action a try before you sell it. I wouldn't feel guilty about not liking a KoAloha *gasp*--if everyone wanted their ukes to sound the same way, there would only be one uke manufacturer.

Let me assure you that your koaloha does not look like a toy. That thing is hot!

Let me assure you that your koaloha does not look like a toy. That thing is hot!

This. I had precisely the same thought when I looked at your photos after I read "looks like a toy". It doesn't. To me, it says "fantastic quality". Since it is a one-of-a-kind model, I think in your boots I would just hang onto it and see if it starts a romance with me. If it doesn't after a while, you can probably re-sell it without (or just minimal loss). And if it is a collector's item, it may even turn out to be a good investment.

Wow! It's a beautiful instrument~ if you don't care for the sound, I'm sure you could sell it right here on UU. I suggest you give it a try!

Those two are probably the biggest reasons why the KoAloha isn't floating your boat. If you tried it out in a store, would you have paid for it? And you know, your tastes may change, some people like different sounds to come from their ukes. (Which is part of the reason why so many on UU have so many; the sounds can vary widely.) I do think you've spent enough $$ on it to give new strings and changing the action a try before you sell it. I wouldn't feel guilty about not liking a KoAloha *gasp*--if everyone wanted their ukes to sound the same way, there would only be one uke manufacturer.

You are quite right. If I saw it in a shop, even if it had grabbed my attention the way it did on ebay, I'd have tried it & left it. Though I might've come back for it later :)
By the way, one of the local shops does have quite a few amps. I have a Roland Micro Cube that I got for my theremin, so I can play a uke through that too. Already got a cord for the KoAloha & plugged in to make sure the electronics work.

Wow! It's a beautiful instrument~ if you don't care for the sound, I'm sure you could sell it right here on UU. I suggest you give it a try!

Wow! Thanks guys. Nothing like other people thinking something is hot to make you appreciate what you have!
It's just cos it's shiny. Normally I like shiny, blingy things, but I guess I'm used to cheap, low-end instruments being shiny and the higher end being satin and knocked around a bit.

I'm playing the KoAloha every day, the strings are settling in and I'm starting to appreciate the differences in sound between it and my sweet Kanilea. It's very comfortable to play because of the slim line & light weight.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement & reassurance. I'll stick with it and see whether it grows on me.

Well, congratulations on your ambiguous purchase anyway...

I hope you grow to love your new ukulele. Maybe one day, you'll do a multi-track recording with it and your theremin. Have to say I'm quite envious of that. I've only attempted to play one once, but they are such fun instruments.

Top Bottom