All Yew Concert Backpacker

AndyM

Reaction score
After my previous attempt of a £30 Banjo uke using a hand drum and a cheap uke from Ebay,i thought it was time i finished off my all Yew Concet backpacker.Very closely based on a Captain Backpacker from New Zealand(if i could of found 1 for sale i'd have brought it!),but using local timbers.I have a love fro Yew from my archery days,having made a few bows from it,so it was a natural choice for me.
The neck is a bit wonky,the fretboard isn't quite right(i had to shorten the neck but had already made the fretboard to fit)and the action a bit high to cure a case of string buzz,but for my first attempt i'm quite happy with it.

009.jpg

Looks good, Andy!

How do you like the tone? I guess what I'm really asking is wether or not such a tiny box really projects. What do you think?

It's certainly not the loudest uke i own,but i was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality from it.I've found a slight issue with the strings getting worn where they wrap around the threads on the Zither tuners(the A string broke twice before i worked out what the cause was),but i think a small sleeve over the thread will give a smooth surface for the string to wrap around,a quick job on the lathe at work tomorrow.

Perhaps I'm not seeing it well, but where are your tuners?

I was wondering about the whatsit -- break angle? -- across the butt of the body.

Glad to hear you like it. If you feel like posting a sound sample I'm sure it will be appreciated; something like this has been on my build list for a while.

The tuners are stuck in it's bottom! :eek:,i tried Violin pegs on a prototype,but went for Zither tuners(harp) on this one,as they are smaller and easier to use.I took a different photo which might show them a bit clearer.

005.jpg

As for a sound sample,i haven't got any equipment for doing that sort of thing,sorry.

Last edited:
No worries on the sound sample -- either way I know I still want to build one.

Enjoy it -- if I ever get my act together I'll post pics so we can compare notes.

Last edited:
Cheers Connor,i'm working my way up to building a "proper" shaped uke,via Hand drum Banjo ukes and maybe another couple of Backpacker style ukes.It's going to be curving the sides that will be the biggest challenge for me.

Very much,i changed a few things,but basically the same idea.Did you have a problem with the strings getting worn by the threads on the Zither tuners?.I've made some small plastic collars to go over the threaded part,which seems to have done the trick.

Very much,i changed a few things,but basically the same idea.Did you have a problem with the strings getting worn by the threads on the Zither tuners?.I've made some small plastic collars to go over the threaded part,which seems to have done the trick.

I embedded the zither pins pretty far into the wood. Almost all of the threaded part is in the wood. But, I think you're idea of using plastic collars is a good one.

I've now swopped the Aquila strings for a set of Living Water strings,they are softer on the fingers and seem to make it sound more mellow.I've got the travel uke bug now,just made an enquiry about getting some English Walnut to make another one.

Top Bottom