Tying strings with knots invisible

rush

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought some new strings for my new Fame Tenor uke. However, when I was about to restring it, I noticed that the knots on the bridge are invisible, unlike my other uke (see pictures attached). I was wondering, is there a way to tie the strings this way manually? All of the tutorials that I have found on the net, teach it the way it is done in the second picture, with knots visible on top of the bridge.
Thanks!
IMG_20130310_215710_950.jpgIMG_20130310_215907_457.jpg

I'd be interested to know this too.

I think the end is just tucked into the hole, but it was hard to replicate. Or, maybe they just snip them off really short; but I was too afraid that the knot would pull out. So, I just left the ends like the second picture.

I've seen different tie bridges that are knotless (the photos in this post). I've not seen one as in your first image.

One idea... Loop the string end back through up toward the soundboard and very carefully melt the end of the string with a lighter to form a ball that will not pull back through past the double thickness of the string in the hole.

Looked again and that doesn't make sense. The ball end would be below the bridge and visible in the pic.

Each string end could loop under the string in the bridge "groove" then to the left as you look at the picture. The up and to the right over the string, but under the string end on the right as it come up through the hole. The tension should hold it in place. And you could still form a ball at the end with a lighter so it would not slop back through.

Might have to try t his. Looks clean.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know this too.

I think the end is just tucked into the hole, but it was hard to replicate. Or, maybe they just snip them off really short; but I was too afraid that the knot would pull out. So, I just left the ends like the second picture.

it's not just the ends though, the knot itself is not visible.

One idea... Loop the string end back through up toward the soundboard and very carefully melt the end of the string with a lighter to form a ball that will not pull back through past the double thickness of the string in the hole.

Looked again and that doesn't make sense. The ball end would be below the bridge and visible in the pic.

Each string end could loop under the string in the bridge "groove" then to the left as you look at the picture. The up and to the right over the string, but under the string end on the right as it come up through the hole. The tension should hold it in place. And you could still form a ball at the end with a lighter so it would not slop back through.

Might have to try t his. Looks clean.

I took some pictures from the front of the bridge. Looks like the knot, or the other type of connection is hiding somewhere under the bridge.
IMG_20130311_241905_233.jpgIMG_20130311_242455_413.jpg

Ok... here's my go at it: (courtesy of my wife and her bookbinding career.)

1. The string is knotted on one end, and then run through the bridge from the bottom, but it is not pulled tight.
2. The string then wraps over the bridge, and runs a second time through the bridge hole from bottom to top.
3. The string is then tightened from the top, pulling the original knot into the bridge and out of sight.
4. The string is then run up to the tuners and tightened normally.

It looks super cool, but trying to figure out how it works makes my head hurt. Hooray for knots and beads!

Last edited:
My ukulele is a Collings, and I think on mine the string was knotted and the knot slid under the bridge and caught there in the slot. The tag end wasn't visible. On mine I think they just snipped the tag end off close.

Not sure what's happening on yours, but it sure looks neat! I can't believe it's just friction holding the string tight.

It looks super cool, but trying to figure out how it works makes my head hurt. Hooray for knots and beads!

If only the string companies would put beads on the strings before they shipped them. ;) The beads could be smaller
since a machine would put them on. They could be called ... wait ... string ball ends ;) and we wouldn't have to tie knots when restringing.

[Sorry I couldn't resist, but in another thread, a couple of folks won't recognize that the lack of ball ends on uke strings v.s.
guitar strings is simply tradition, not because there isn't merit to ball end strings. :) ]

[Sorry I couldn't resist, but in another thread, a couple of folks won't recognize that the lack of ball ends on uke strings v.s.
guitar strings is simply tradition, not because there isn't merit to ball end strings. :) ]

Tradition? I thought it was b/c string companies are cutting fishing line not 30" lengths and then packaging them. Oh, after a 200% mark-up.

Just kidding, Dirk, Mimmo, et al.

Last edited:
It looks to me like the hole has been redrilled and goes through into the body. My guess is the string was run into the body, fished out of the sound hole, knotted and pulled tight.

I believe the maker of Ono ukes on the list does his strings that way except they go straight in instead of looping around the tie block.

It looks to me like the hole has been redrilled and goes through into the body. My guess is the string was run into the body, fished out of the sound hole, knotted and pulled tight.

This idea occurred to me. You could even get away with a single hole through the bridge if it were tapered. BUT, how the hell would you get the knot out when it's time to re-string?

This idea occurred to me. You could even get away with a single hole through the bridge if it were tapered. BUT, how the hell would you get the knot out when it's time to re-string?

Just unthread the string from around the tie block and push it down into the body till you can catch the knotted end and pull it out.

You can see on this uke how the string goes into the body.

Last edited:
Top Bottom