Video Camera advice

lennymac

Reaction score
Hi all - looking for a little advice on a video camera for filming family stuff/YouTube videos and gigs in bars etc.

I'm looking for a HD camera that can be tripod mounted and which either has a decent built in mic, or which will allow me to attach in some was my zoom h2n, or even a xlr condenser mic.

The other alternative is a good camera with no mic input, and some decent software for synching audio and video..

I am clueless about these things at the moment so any advice is much appreciated!

Hey lennymac !

Personnaly I use both. A HD cam with poor mic plus my Zoom. The HD cam I've just bought is very cheap (toshiba camileo P100) but it's enough for the use. Bought it for about 100€ because I couldn't afford a good one (my UAS woulda been jealous lol). It was shipped with a tripod.
Synch with Audacity (or other software) is what it's all about. Still learning, but it feels fine for me.

Problem is, in-plugs for mic on camera recorder are often jack. I had XLR or USB (the zoom, for instance). I wouldn't wanna buy another one with a jack plug!

I've been told the Zoom Q3HD's doing the job, if you have enough brightness... But you'll have both : HD cam + good mic. BUt I've never tested it (I think UkeVal use the Q3 for his outstanding videos).

Hey lennymac !

Personnaly I use both. A HD cam with poor mic plus my Zoom. The HD cam I've just bought is very cheap (toshiba camileo P100) but it's enough for the use. Bought it for about 100€ because I couldn't afford a good one (my UAS woulda been jealous lol). It was shipped with a tripod.
Synch with Audacity (or other software) is what it's all about. Still learning, but it feels fine for me.

Problem is, in-plugs for mic on camera recorder are often jack. I had XLR or USB (the zoom, for instance). I wouldn't wanna buy another one with a jack plug!

I've been told the Zoom Q3HD's doing the job, if you have enough brightness... But you'll have both : HD cam + good mic. BUt I've never tested it (I think UkeVal use the Q3 for his outstanding videos).

Thanks Frax, something with USB or xlr input would be good... But budget bot great! Glad u find synching ok - as I already have decent mics maybe just a decent camera and synching on pc is the way forward.

Appreciate the input!

I've done some comparisons of video cams including various pocket cameras, the Zoom Q3HD, and iPhone, specifically for their use as "look at me play and sing" cameras. Check the link to the Homebrewed Music blog in my sig.

In general, camera audio is junk and even if there's a mic jack the results are marginal, until you spend well over $1000 for your camera.

Except for the Q3HD, now joined by the Q2HD, Tascam DR-V1HD, and Olympus LS20m. All these offer OK video with a clean audio subsystem for $300 or less.

My only experience is with the Q3HD. If there's enough light it takes nice pictures. If the mic is close enough to the source it records good sound. And if you connect mics to a preamp you can feed external mics including high quality condensers into it easily.

Fran

I just discovered your blog Fran, it's just excellent. I'll take a look in details at your entries, thank you for posting it here, this is gonna help me a lot !!

Top Bottom