Question for Australians

electrauke

Reaction score
Hey UU, this is a question for all you Australians out there :) I might be coming to Australia sometime in the future and I want to get an authentic didgeridoo. What I mean by authentic is like the kind where the natives go out and find pieces of wood already eaten by termites and then do the finishing touches. So a really nice one. I f you know where I can get one please let me know. Thanks, Cheers

Didgeridoo info

Greetings! I'm brand new to this site and just saw your thread about didgeridoos. I'm an Aussie and own 2 authentic didgeridoos that I bought off a site called idid.com.au - unfortunately, I haven't seen the site active for a few years, but google this name (Guan Lim) and perhaps you can Skype with him. He is extremely close with the Aboriginal community in Arnam Land and used to sell beautiful Yidakis. Here is a picture of mine, I may consider selling it, if you're interested. It's an F sharp and was crafted by Gurraramawuy. You can see it being played on YouTube by the great Larry Winiwini.
www.youtube.com/?v=3FZshNblepw

Cheers and good luck in your search!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 23
Hi Electruke

when you come here, do you plan on visiting the Northern Territory or northern Qld? Both areas have classes in making them.

When I visited Alice Springs, they had classes in 'make your own' didgeridoo - and when I was in Arnhemland (Gove/Nhulunbuy) I watched one being made!! It was great fun! They tap the trees to find the best one that has already been hollowed out by termites ..... cut it down, then using 'reinforcing steel' (used as reinforcing to prevent cracking & subsidence in concreting .... it has ridges around the outside edge) that has been heated 'red' in the fire, this is forced into the hollow to burn out the softer interior wood, to make the hole 'straighter' & cleaner. You should be able to see daylight when looking into your didgeridoo - if not, it may not play well. The hollowed out inside should be fairly 'regular' too - not thick, thin - or it may not sound too good!!

I have an 'au natural' one that I bought in Alice Springs (we weren't there long enough to do the class) and it still has some of the bark on it. It has a bigger 'bowl' at the 'no blow' end & it is deeper in pitch & much louder than the 'straight' ones.

Good luck on your hunt!! They are fun!! Practise it by blowing into a piece of plastic 'downpipe'!!

cheers

Roberta

electrauke, I have two, authentic didges from Australia. Both were purchased through http://www.laoutback.com They have Australian didges as well as didges made from Agave and other materials. They also do lay-away too.

Greetings! I'm brand new to this site and just saw your thread about didgeridoos. I'm an Aussie and own 2 authentic didgeridoos that I bought off a site called idid.com.au - unfortunately, I haven't seen the site active for a few years, but google this name (Guan Lim) and perhaps you can Skype with him. He is extremely close with the Aboriginal community in Arnam Land and used to sell beautiful Yidakis. Here is a picture of mine, I may consider selling it, if you're interested. It's an F sharp and was crafted by Gurraramawuy. You can see it being played on YouTube by the great Larry Winiwini.
www.youtube.com/?v=3FZshNblepw

Cheers and good luck in your search!
Not sure how I missed this thread but this is good info. Guan is a friend of mine and is connected to that community. Nice yidaki, btw. I once had a yidaki crafted by Gurraramawuy and it was terrific. Light and easy to play.

Someone on UU posted a video of a Uke jam on a pub somewhere in England where a guy was playing bass on a Didge. I fancy one of the adjustable ones. A friend of mine in Brighton has one.

Top Bottom