How the heck do I start!

dilburt11

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I really want to try to build my own ukulele but have no clue how to start, I know I have to get some tone wood and I'm lost from there on haha. You fellow luthiers have a great gift and are very talented and hope I can just make one for myself! :p. I come to you guys to ask how they heck do I tackle this I want to make a tenor or soprano, I am also wondering if I need a bending iron or is there a different way to bend sides? I hope I can do this and find a new life long hobby. Thanks for everyone for the help :)

If you're looking at starting a life long hobby, spend a weekend browsing this forum. My guess is you'll find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet.

As for bending sides, you'll need a bending iron or a heated bending form or a form with a heating blanket.

You could browse my blog as well, I started out with quite little knowledge but that didn't stop me from documenting my work and learning curve, warts and all. Start with the earliest posts if you do it.

Good luck / Sven

Sven is correct about reading the forum. When getting started, I went through it all from the earliest posts. There is far more information here on building ukes than you will find in the few books on the subject or anywhere else. People here are glad to answer questions if it is apparent that you have first made a diligent search for the answers. The search function on the forum isn't all that great, so do an advanced search on Google and limit it to "ukuleleunderground.com."

Go to your local library and get out books on acoustic guitar building. The concepts are the same, and you'll learn a lot of the terms and techniques, as they carry over between both types of instruments.

"Class"mates

I just made a very similar post before reading yours. I guess we're in the same freshman "class". I bet we'll be sharing some notes as we go.

If you're looking at starting a life long hobby, spend a weekend browsing this forum. My guess is you'll find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet.

As for bending sides, you'll need a bending iron or a heated bending form or a form with a heating blanket.

You could browse my blog as well, I started out with quite little knowledge but that didn't stop me from documenting my work and learning curve, warts and all. Start with the earliest posts if you do it.

Good luck / Sven

Sven - how do I get to your blog? I love reading your insights on other forum threads and would love to see your blog.
Mark EB

I just made a very similar post before reading yours. I guess we're in the same freshman "class". I bet we'll be sharing some notes as we go.

Sven - how do I get to your blog? I love reading your insights on other forum threads and would love to see your blog.
Mark EB

The link is on the bottom of his posts. Building blog- http://www.argapa.blogspot.com/

yer- start with a kit, with prebent sides so save you the $150 on a hand bender.
No bindings as that will save you more $$$ on laminate trimmer (although Harbour freight one is only $25) and router bits.

Books, books, books- library then buy, although the available uke build books are cheap compared to guitar build books.

It will still be fun and you will gain some insight into if you indeed enjoy the whole shebang (ie dust).- then spend the $$$ on tools, machinery a loud Hawaiian shirt and a yacht.

(although Harbour freight one is only $25) and router bits.

Beau -

Do you have any experience with the HF laminate trimmer? It occasionally goes on sale even cheaper. I'm just a little gun shy to go quite that cheap...

Ditto to Sven and the others here. I'd get as many uke and guitar books your library has. This forums is great place to search for specific questions and there are some great youtube videos (mostly guitar building but much of it applies).

I'd recommend just going for it. Get some scrap hardwood from somewhere and practice (or get the kit).

I'd also recommend looking into other wood working websites to sharpen your skills at things like saftey and sharpening your tools

Beau -

Do you have any experience with the HF laminate trimmer? It occasionally goes on sale even cheaper. I'm just a little gun shy to go quite that cheap...

Yer i got one and it has lasted me a year so its worth it. I also got the Grizzly metal bodied one which is nicer at $50.
I have a Rigid 6" orbital sander which has a slow start up which is a nice feature as it doesn't 'kick off' straight away in the hand. So ill look at teh ridged lam trimmer next, but that is $70 i think.

Slow start up is something to look for

Hey Dilburt11 - how's it coming along? Have you made any decisions on anything? feel free to message me directly if you ever want to compare notes etc. Hope all is going well.

Beau -

bbycrts,

I have the HF laminate trimmer. It's a pretty stout little unit, but there is one problem, the collet is poorly machined and it caused the slightest wobble in my bits. I replaced it with a Bosch collet and now its a fine little tool.

I've got 2 of the HF trimmers. I think I only paid $10 each on sale. Fried the wiring for the switch on one after running it too long while making a radius dish but once it cooled off I was able to open it up and fix it. At that price point they are pretty much throw away tools if you can get through the job at hand. I use them for rough work or trimming with a bearing so the collet really isn't an issue. If you want multiple routers with static setups I think they might be ok.

Top Bottom