Buy your ukulele a goldfish.

hoosierhiver

Reaction score
I always cringe when I hear about ukuleles cracking from dry air in the winter months. An aquarium is a great way to keep the humidity levels up.

Here's a link to a fish forum talking about humidity. I thought it was kind of funny that some of them were worried about 45% humidity, they obviously don't play stringed instruments.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1738406

This is a great excuse to hang all my ukes in the living room! Or, to get a second aquarium...but I prefer to move my ukes to the living room.

You are a bad influence. I would love to get another tropical reef aquarium. I wouldn't have even connected it with my ukulele obsession. That is great info.

I used to have a thriving saltwater aquarium. I was a total amateur and did everything "wrong" but that tank was amazingly healthy and teeming with life. But I'm pretty sure if I had put my ukulele in it, it would have hurt both the aquarium and the ukulele. Sorry, but I'll stick with a humidifier in my case. ;)

I haven't had an aquarium in years, but I once had several - don't ask me about the time I got the hairbrained idea to raise betas... LOL

John

I breed fish and keep 8 open top aquariums in my home, I used to keep a reef as well. And I live in Memphis where humidity is generally well over 50%. I made a hanger for one of my ukes last week and decided not to mount it on the wall near an aquarium, as I was concerned about too much humidity. Is it possible to over-humidify a uke?

I breed fish and keep 8 open top aquariums in my home, I used to keep a reef as well. And I live in Memphis where humidity is generally well over 50%. I made a hanger for one of my ukes last week and decided not to mount it on the wall near an aquarium, as I was concerned about too much humidity. Is it possible to over-humidify a uke?

Yes, it is. 50-60% is a good range, anything over that might be getting too high.

Yes, it is. 50-60% is a good range, anything over that might be getting too high.

Thanks. Hmm, maybe I should measure the humidity inside my home. I don't generally run air in the Spring or Fall and I imagine my humidity gets pretty high then.

Not sure which is funnier...

The stinky Fremont case zombie thread or the goldfish/aquarium/humidifier zombie thread.

You guys make me laugh :)

Jordan

Kinda off topic from the fish, but in the interest of weird things that work... I hang my unpainted ukes up in the bathroom so they get a good dose of steam every day from the shower.

I also have a little humidifier I made from a re-purposed Air Wick plug-in air freshener for especially cold/dry days. Once you use up the contents of the air freshener, what you're left with is a glass jar with a wick in it. I simply inject water into it the jar through the wick with a syringe and put it back in the heating element. When it goes dry I just put in more water.

Last edited:
I think he's referring to the fact that both are old threads that came back from the dead...

John

Yup...hehehe. Zombie...back from the dead...

I really enjoy the wide range of discussions on UU and it makes me laugh whenever someone replies to an old thread and it comes back to life. Its especially funny when it involves a uke that was for sale 3 years ago and a bunch of people starting responding without noticing the date.

:)

Jordan

Top Bottom