PDA

View Full Version : Just Joined the Baritone Brigade

mkatz
03-11-2013, 11:54 AM
I received this weekend a 60's Martin Style 51 that I found on another forum. All this talk about baritones got me curious and then magically this popped up at a what I thought was a very fair price. It came with Aquila's with a wound d and g and sounds really good. I am thinking I will play around with it a bit and then try Worth Clears.

There is a slight buzz on the d string however and I was wondering if this is common on baritones.

Mitch

WhenDogsSing
03-11-2013, 01:01 PM
No, it's not common on baritones. Can you see any space between the bottom of the D string at the first fret?

Appalachian picker
03-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Nice.

There are "other" ukulele forums???

Patrick Madsen
03-11-2013, 02:23 PM
That Martin bari. neck is gonna spoil you. Congrats. I have mine tuned to a Bb with Southcoast wound strings and waiting to put on a set of Cuatro C strings. PDX says it adds a whole new sound to it.

mkatz
03-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Nice.

There are "other" ukulele forums???

It was listed in the Buy & Sell on the UMGF - The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum.

Pueo
03-11-2013, 04:01 PM
That looks really nice! Yours looks to be in really excellent shape, congratulations on a nice find. I am sure you will get many years of enjoyment out of it. Hopefully that buzz may be remedied by something as simple as a string change.

I have an old Baritone myself - It used to belong to my wife's grandfather - it is a 1950's (I think) Hikare model CU-58. It says, "Designed in Hawaii, Made in Japan" on the label. I really like playing mine.

wconley
03-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Buzzzzzz. I've found my Pono baritone sometimes buzzes after the frets wear grooves in the wound strings. You might check the wear on the strings.

mkatz
03-12-2013, 03:43 AM
Buzzzzzz. I've found my Pono baritone sometimes buzzes after the frets wear grooves in the wound strings. You might check the wear on the strings.

I am going to change the strings tonight and see if that solves the problem.

Flyke
03-12-2013, 06:36 AM
I received this weekend a 60's Martin Style 51 that I found on another forum. All this talk about baritones got me curious and then magically this popped up at a what I thought was a very fair price. It came with Aquila's with a wound d and g and sounds really good. I am thinking I will play around with it a bit and then try Worth Clears.

There is a slight buzz on the d string however and I was wondering if this is common on baritones.

Mitch

You just joined the baritone brigade with a vintage Martin? That's like learning to drive in a '59 Mustang! That is a seriously nice place to start. Enjoy!

Dan Uke
03-12-2013, 06:58 AM

Doesn't yours come with a truss rod? Mine does

Appalachian picker
03-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Doesn't yours come with a truss rod? Mine does

In my admittedly brief research into my new favorite style of ukulele - the "Barry Tone," I believe that the only instrument that has a truss rod standard (and adjustable at that) is the Pono. Correct me if I'm mistaken.