Just Joined the Baritone Brigade

mkatz

Reaction score
I received this weekend a 60's Martin Style 51 that I found on another forum. All this talk about baritones got me curious and then magically this popped up at a what I thought was a very fair price. It came with Aquila's with a wound d and g and sounds really good. I am thinking I will play around with it a bit and then try Worth Clears.

There is a slight buzz on the d string however and I was wondering if this is common on baritones.

Mitch

martin uke3.jpg

That Martin bari. neck is gonna spoil you. Congrats. I have mine tuned to a Bb with Southcoast wound strings and waiting to put on a set of Cuatro C strings. PDX says it adds a whole new sound to it.

That looks really nice! Yours looks to be in really excellent shape, congratulations on a nice find. I am sure you will get many years of enjoyment out of it. Hopefully that buzz may be remedied by something as simple as a string change.

I have an old Baritone myself - It used to belong to my wife's grandfather - it is a 1950's (I think) Hikare model CU-58. It says, "Designed in Hawaii, Made in Japan" on the label. I really like playing mine.

Buzzzzzz. I've found my Pono baritone sometimes buzzes after the frets wear grooves in the wound strings. You might check the wear on the strings.

Buzzzzzz. I've found my Pono baritone sometimes buzzes after the frets wear grooves in the wound strings. You might check the wear on the strings.

I am going to change the strings tonight and see if that solves the problem.

I received this weekend a 60's Martin Style 51 that I found on another forum. All this talk about baritones got me curious and then magically this popped up at a what I thought was a very fair price. It came with Aquila's with a wound d and g and sounds really good. I am thinking I will play around with it a bit and then try Worth Clears.

There is a slight buzz on the d string however and I was wondering if this is common on baritones.

Mitch

View attachment 50157

You just joined the baritone brigade with a vintage Martin? That's like learning to drive in a '59 Mustang! That is a seriously nice place to start. Enjoy!

Doesn't yours come with a truss rod? Mine does

In my admittedly brief research into my new favorite style of ukulele - the "Barry Tone," I believe that the only instrument that has a truss rod standard (and adjustable at that) is the Pono. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Top Bottom