Bolt on necks

Maverick47

Reaction score
Well, I'm into my first uke build (pineapple soprano).
I have built a couple of acoustic guitars in the past, using Spanish heel neck joints, but am thinking of bolt on for the sop.
Despite searching the forum, I can't find much info on how a bolt on is actually made. Are there any videos out there? What kind of bolt, what size, does it go into a cross grain dowel or captive nut? What size neck block? I'm thinking epoxy glue the neck as well as bolting??
However, is it possible to just butt joint the neck with epoxy? I recall a book on steel string guitar making which advocated just that - if the joint can stand that pressure then it should work for a small nylon stringed instrument.
If so, any recommendations on the best 2 pack glue to use? Araldite slow ?(I'm in the UK)

Last edited:
Yeah, I've used the longer ones loads of times for worktop connectors (did kitchen fitting for years)- I'll cut off the extra length if needed. Just needed to know the basic stuff you experts use.
To reiterate, does anyone just do a glued butt joint, without support?

Last edited:
Well, to answer my own question, tomorrow I will start on a "travelling,home-made backpacker acoustic design", one to carry with me whilst walking long distance footpaths.
Just thin modelmaker's birch ply,straight(ish) sides, soprano gauge,glued neck. If it gets sat on or busted along route, no problem.

Watch this space. haha

Last edited:
This simple fixture helps align the holes in the neck.

Attachments

• DSC03350.jpg
    DSC03350.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC03345.jpg
    DSC03345.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 104
Yes, I have built two guitars and a bunch of tenor ukes using a butt joint glued with epoxy and never had a problem. The guitar necks have several decades of string tension without movinig at all. The guitar building book you mentioned was probably the one by David Russell Young. I don't know what they have for epoxy in the UK but any long set, high strength epoxy should work well.

Thanks again guys, I will try the epoxy joint with slow set stuff available here. Yes, it was the David Russell Young book you mentioned - if I recall he was quite scathing about traditional dovetail neck joints.....
It occurred to me last night that if I do the cheapo thin plywood body, the sides will have to be rebated into the inside neck block, so that the neck is glued directly to the block, rather than to the ply, which would likely de-laminate under the strain. But I'll give it a whirl.
BTW Ken, I like the drilling jig.

Last edited:
Top Bottom