"Tier 2" Production Ukes

Paul December

Reaction score
Other than Pono, what brands would you put into the "Tier 2" category?
...all I can think of is Koalana and Mexican-made Martin.

For the record, I consider most Ohana, Mainland, and Kala "Tier 3"...
...though a few "Limited Editions" reach "Tier 2" level (and their lower stuff hits "Tier 4".

"Tier 2" ukes seem to be underrepresented in the market...
...possibly a difficult sales position to be in :confused:

CLARIFICATION
Tier 2, as I've defined it is purely based on Price: $400-$700.
This range is typically higher than Ohana, Mainland, Kala, Lanikai, and etc. .... but below the K's.

Last edited:
Define what Tier 2 is? Even Tier 1 is not consistent in everyone's definition.

I personally think Pono is better made than Koalana and Martin...Lower end might be similar but Pono slotted head with cutaway with gloss finish are really nice and might be considered Tier 1 by some.

I'm sorry...but I don't think that one can really answer this question.

Any definition of "tiers" is totally subjective and open to opinions and interpretation.

Do you define "teirs" in terms of cost?...or wood used?...or place of origin?....or sound?....you certainly can't define them in terms of manufacturer because of the wide range of instruments in some makers' product lines.

Plus, any subjective categorizing will only serve to denegrate the choices made by some people because their favorite instrument might end up in a lesser "tier" then what they believe is appropriate. So what if someone plays (and enjoys) a cheap Diamond Head, and happens to think it is the bomb, even though in some peoples' minds it might be a tier 5 or lesser instrument?

I personally think Pono is better made than Koalana and Martin...Lower end might be similar but Pono slotted head with cutaway with gloss finish are really nice and might be considered Tier 1 by some.

Not to be a downer too, but maybe a price point would be a better way to categorize? Just a thought. When I was at HMS they had a slot head, cutaway spruce top w/rosewood back and sides that IMO, sounded better than anything else in the shop at the time (I didn't play the Jukulele but I did play quite a few of the K's on hand).

To avoid the issues related to calling something a 'tier 1', 'tier 2', maybe you can rephrase the question to say what are the best ukuleles in certain defined price ranges. E.g. less than 1k, less than $800, less than $500, etc.

I look at it a bit like cars!
From the Tier 4 Mondeo, to the Tier 1 Lambo!
Some of it is subjective, but I'd say it is down to the quality of the build and the parts more than money!

I look at it a bit like cars!
From the Tier 4 Mondeo, to the Tier 1 Lambo!
Some of it is subjective, but I'd say it is down to the quality of the build and the parts more than money!

So you must put Pete Howlett and Ken Timms in Tier 4 since we know U.S. made is the best!! JUST KIDDING

hmmmm....didn't we have an issue before trying to define luthiers :p
Yup . . . . and that thread was closed. And eventually this thread will probably follow the yellow brick road. We'll see how it plays out.

:eek: Oops... I forgot this is Ukulele Underground, the place where people can't ever just answer the damn question, but will tell you how your question is wrong! :mad:
I'm kidding, you guys know I love you (kind of) :eek:

I'll clarify...
...By "tier" I simply mean price.
Generally, I think "Tier 2" falls in the $400-$700 range.

I've recently sold-off some ukes and was thinking of blowing around $600 on a new concert and was struck on how few choices there were in this price range outside of Pono & Mexican-made Martin.

:confused: I wonder if this is a difficult place for a manufacturer to place itself.
... Looks like Kamoa & aNueNue are having a difficult time at it.

Of course there are Tier 3 brands that reach to this level and Tier 1 brands with entry level stuff, but I'm thinking of brands that center themselves at this point.

I agree with you Daniel..

Not to be a downer too, but maybe a price point would be a better way to categorize? Just a thought. When I was at HMS they had a slot head, cutaway spruce top w/rosewood back and sides that IMO, sounded better than anything else in the shop at the time (I didn't play the Jukulele but I did play quite a few of the K's on hand).

I agree with you Gary..

If you are simply asking for a recommendation at that price point... I would save up the couple extra bucks and pick this up.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...5941-FS-New-Concert-Koa-Ukulele-by-Black-Bear
Hard to imagine getting a nicer concert for the money!!!
At that $600-$700 mark you can start adding some small builders who offer some simply appointed models such as Black Bear, David Newton, Covered Bridge and others. Coming from acoustic guitars, I'm still stunned by what these 1st class ukulele builders can offer at such prices.

If you are simply asking for a recommendation at that price point... I would save up the couple extra bucks and pick this up.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...5941-FS-New-Concert-Koa-Ukulele-by-Black-Bear
Hard to imagine getting a nicer concert for the money!!!
At that $600-$700 mark you can start adding some small builders who offer some simply appointed models such as Black Bear, David Newton, Covered Bridge and others. Coming from acoustic guitars, I'm still stunned by what these 1st class ukulele builders can offer at such prices.

I'm not looking for recommendations, but that kind-of makes my point...
...is it a matter of "just a few more bucks and I can get....".

Just thought of another one: Big Island

So...
Pono
Martin (Mex)
Mele
Big Island
aNueNue

Last edited:
Are you trying to incorporate import versus domestic?
Islander might be a tier 2 if you are going by that criteria, and where would you put Mainland?

I think that Pono products do seem to be a bit nicer than the others, just my opinion though.

I was thinking maybe Imua, as those are made in Hawaii, but those are above that price point.

By the way, I have three ukuleles that are hand made in Hawaii from local wood, and two of them I got for well below $600, and I would call them tier one instruments all the way, especially this one.
R&LKoa.jpg
You can find a good deal if you know where to look!

Are you trying to incorporate import versus domestic?
Islander might be a tier 2 if you are going by that criteria, and where would you put Mainland?

I think that Pono products do seem to be a bit nicer than the others, just my opinion though.

I was thinking maybe Imua, as those are made in Hawaii, but those are above that price point.

By the way, I have three ukuleles that are hand made in Hawaii from local wood, and two of them I got for well below $600, and I would call them tier one instruments all the way, especially this one.
View attachment 50199
You can find a good deal if you know where to look!

Please seem my clarification post above...
...Tier 2, as I've defined it is purely based on Price: $400-$700.
This range is typically higher than Ohana, Mainland, Kala, Lanikai, and etc. .... but below the K's.

Top Bottom