If someone handed you $1000, what uke(s) would you buy?

UKEonomics

Reaction score
Was just thinking about what ukes I'd buy today if someone randomly handed me $1000. Realistically, I'd probably just use it to pay off some debt....but if it was stipulated that it had to be spent on ukuleles, here's what I'd purchase...

Mele Koa Concert

Ohana Sopranino SK-21

Vintage Kamaka Pineapple (if I could find a good ebay deal with the cash leftover. In my hypothetical situation everything works out perfectly though)

What would you get?

I think I'd be looking for a very nice 1920s Martin 0 ... a really clean one. I'd pick up another old Kumalae with the change (love the one I have).

Can I spend the money on talent, instead?

I'd watch the marketplaces and get a custom second hand....for sure...

Good idea, actually. I have been "window shopping" in the marketplace forum section today and when/if I eventually get the "one" ukulele, I think that is where I'll look.

If it has to be new, I would have one built by one of the less expensive luthiers. Problem, though, is that I wouldn't know which size I'd want! :)

I'd fly one way to Hawaii and drink a Zombie at Swim Bar while listening to Taimane.

Good question. $1k doesn't buy you a 2k, but I could take a bite of one. So, yeah--I'd put it towards a Martin 2K (vintage).

That's an easy one for me.

I would commission a custom concert ukulele from David Ingalls at Ono Ukuleles in Oregon.

With the spare cash I would put a deposit down on a custom concert from Terry and Perry at Covered Bridge.

I think I'd keep my eye closer on the marketplace for a nice late model KoAloha or Kanilea concert, and put the rest towards a vintage Martin O, it is kinda fun to dream!

Last edited:
A mya-moe super soprano :)

Top Bottom