PDA

View Full Version : Martin 5k

philpot
03-12-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm heading down to Nashville for my state mock trial tournament on Thursday, and every time I go I make a stop by Gruhn Guitars to see what overpriced vintage ukes they've picked up since last time I visited. Last time they had Martin 3k listed on the website that sold the day before I arrived. Well, I checked the web inventory today, and unless someone decides to drop $12,500 on a ukulele in the next two days, I'll have a chance to play a lovely little 30s Martin 5k :) I wouldn't ever consider buying it, but I'm looking forward to holding a little piece of uke history. I'll keep you guys posted!

-Phil

coolkayaker1
03-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Can you make a tiny video of you playing it? Videos of 5ks are rare, even on youtube. I think I saw one of James Hill playing one on there once.

philpot
03-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Can you make a tiny video of you playing it? Videos of 5ks are rare, even on youtube. I think I saw one of James Hill playing one on there once.

I'll see what I can do! They usually don't bother me when I camp out to play their entire uke wall, but I don't know if I might get yelled at for making a video. I'll try it out, and if I get in trouble, I'll just apologize profusely and run ;)

Steedy
03-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Wow, it's lovely, you should definitely buy it. At only $12K, it's a steal! :)

coolkayaker1
03-12-2013, 05:27 PM
I'll try it out, and if I get in trouble, I'll just apologize profusely and run ;)

And blame me. Lol

Seriously, if you tell them you'll link their store in the comments, I think they'd adore it. It takes creative marketing to sell a uke that costs as much as a Harley.

I'm on my iPad and it defaults to mobile. Can someone go on youtube and search James hill Martin and the video comes up of him playing one for a minute and a half. I can't embed it here. Thanks.

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Here you go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oxd8juEEAs.

coolkayaker1
03-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Danka, Chris.

Uke party at Krouk's house.

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 05:37 PM
There's also this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvY8ib17eA

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Danka, Chris.

Bitte, coolkayaker1!

Tigeralum2001
03-12-2013, 05:45 PM
12K would be one of the lowest I have seen in a while. 16K-20K seems to be the asking prices I have seen; then again, I have only seen about 4 for sale in the last 2 years.

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 05:47 PM
By the way, I know this will sound crazy, but 12k is actually not too bad a price for a Martin 5K. I'll never own one unless I get lucky enough to find one at a yard sale (or inherit a lot of money from some relative I don't know of), but I know of them selling (people actually PAYING) for much, much more than that. The Denver Folklore Center (a great acoustic music store, in spite of the museum-like name) has one on their website in their "Archive of Instruments Sold" that sold for $18,000.

pdxuke
03-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Marvelous! Oh, to be invited to a Krouk uke party!

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 05:48 PM
12K would be one of the lowest I have seen in a while. 16K-20K seems to be the asking prices I have seen; then again, I have only seen about 4 for sale in the last 2 years.

What he said. Although I know of someone who got one for a fantastically low price not too long ago. Even that was more than I would ever be able to afford. Unless I sold off most of my pipe collection. Which isn't totally out of the question. That would actually probably get me more than enough, but it would take a long time to liquidate. I tend to think of my pipe collection as my supplemental retirement income a few years down the line.

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Marvelous! Oh, to be invited to a Krouk uke party!

No kidding! I would love to get to meet Krouk someday and feebly plunk along with him.

wolfchs
03-12-2013, 05:55 PM
There's a vintage instrument shop here in Philly selling a 1925 near perfect condition for $9k... click here (http://vintage-instruments.com/navigate/catidx8.htm). if only i have money like that to spend on a uke... :(

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 05:59 PM
There's a vintage instrument shop here in Philly selling a 1925 near perfect condition for $9k... click here (http://vintage-instruments.com/navigate/catidx8.htm). if only i have money like that to spend on a uke... :(

Oooooo! That's a nice one! And almost the best price I've heard of for one. Almost. Some lucky so-and-so got one for a little less than that.... 'Nuff said! (And no, it wasn't me!).

pdxuke
03-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Wow, that 5k in Philly is GORGEOUS!:iwant:

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Wow, that 5k in Philly is GORGEOUS!:iwant:

That seems *ALMOST* attainable. Almost. Sort of. If I wasn't married, I'd have already put it on my credit card.

pdxuke
03-12-2013, 06:08 PM
It's a better investment than a car. If only I wasn't too old to bike everywhere :-)

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 06:11 PM
It's a better investment than a car. If only I wasn't too old to bike everywhere :-)

I'm not... although my workplace is 30 miles away (one way) and I have to be there at 6:45 am... That makes it tough to bike on a regular basis. I HAVE done it a couple of times. Getting back home is a drag... I have an old, non-running MG Midget that I could sell for, oh, maybe 1/3 of that. Actually, since it ALREADY doesn't run, shouldn't it be worth MORE? Saves the new owner the hassle of having to get it not to run!

collarbone
03-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Here's another 5K vid I might have watched a few times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI7FQzgocbo

coolkayaker1
03-12-2013, 06:12 PM
(lifts head from floor, crawls back to computer, sits in computer chair despite urine-damp underpants, and types with shaking hands)

that KOA martin 5k is AWESOME!

Dan Uke
03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
I didn't know these were so valuable or I would have played one longer.

pdxuke
03-12-2013, 06:19 PM
(lifts head from floor, crawls back to computer, sits in computer chair despite urine-damp underpants, and types with shaking hands)

that KOA martin 5k is AWESOME!

Yeah. Exactly. Was that Krouk chasing rainbows? Anyway, whomever it was... wow. Both instrument and playing.

pdxuke
03-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Say, let's get together and buy the 5K.. I get the month of July. Like a time share! :-)

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Yeah. Exactly. Was that Krouk chasing rainbows? Anyway, whomever it was... wow. Both instrument and playing.

It's Winanboy. I wondered who it was, so I watched it on YouTube. I should have guessed from the left-handedness.
By the way, the originally mentioned 5K at Gruhn's is also extremely nice. I just checked it out on their website.

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Say, let's get together and buy the 5K.. I get the month of July. Like a time share! :-)

That's a great idea! If nine of us chipped in a grand each, we could each have it almost 6 weeks per year.

coolkayaker1
03-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Seriously, someone with cajones could snap that 5k for 9k and flip it in 6 months for 12k.

Thom, you've got cajones. Not that I ever checked.

pdxuke
03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Seriously, someone with cajones could snap that 5k for 9k and flip it in 6 months for 12k.

"Turn your head and cough...'

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 06:37 PM

If I had enough cajones to buy it, it wouldn't be so I could flip it in 6 months. It would be so I could own a 5K.

pdxuke
03-12-2013, 06:37 PM

The problem Steve, is the flipping part. It would never flip. It would stay. :-)

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
The problem Steve, is the flipping part. It would never flip. It would stay. :-)

Ditto. Come to think of it, that might also be the problem with the "Time-share" idea!

Dan Uke
03-12-2013, 06:41 PM

I'll go in a one-third if you go in two-thirds? You can keep it at your house. Flip it in one year...Are you in?

wolfchs
03-12-2013, 06:51 PM
While you guys are trying to decide, I'll look at it and play it and hold on to it for you, just send me the money :o

Oh and I promise I'll try not to drool on it... too much... :drool:

coolkayaker1
03-12-2013, 06:58 PM
I'll go in a one-third if you go in two-thirds? You can keep it at your house. Flip it in one year...Are you in?

lol Let me take all my guns out of my fireproof safe and throw a couple sponges in there and test the humidity first, D.

mm stan
03-12-2013, 10:14 PM
I really wanted that Martin 5K vintage tenor...certainly one of a kind....I missed it and now regret it....imagine how much it is worth now...

rpfrogner
03-13-2013, 12:56 AM

Possibly so, but that 5K has been there and available for some time. I have had my eye on it a long while. There are at least 3 out there for sale (in music shops online) and then 2 on ebay...........I WANT :/

garyg
03-13-2013, 01:37 AM
So back to reality....construction-wise and ignoring the bling, what does a 5K have that a 2 or 3K don't have? I mean, is the wood or construction (e.g., bracing) any different? I always thought that most of these ukes 1K, 2K, 3K, etc. were constructed out of the same materials and in the same manner except for the bling (i.e., bindings and inlays). Thoughts? cheers, g2

coolkayaker1
03-13-2013, 01:41 AM
Rick, why has it been for sale for some time at 9k when everyone else seems to be asking more for a banged up 5k?

Gary, I don't know about vintage, but I know the modern current 2mahogsny versus 3cherry that I own are made differently, bracing being one thing, yes. I posted about it in Peteys rocks! Thread. I'll try to find it.

Here it is, see post #81.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?73960-Martin-3-Cherry-soprano-review-%96-I-m-rocked-called-and-amazed!&highlight=Martin+Petey

I might assume true of vintage ukes, too? Apparently the 5k was made by the best luthier, slowly and painstakingly...like a custom.

That said pod, could we tell the difference in sound based on a blind test. No. Lol

Pukulele Pete
03-13-2013, 01:54 AM
The Music Emporium in Lexington,Mass has a 1933 5K for $ 10,500 . I've noticed only from pictures ,I've never seen one in person but the new ones look like the bridge fell off and it was replaced with a 2 dollar bridge. The bridge on the new ones appears to have no finish. Has anyone else noticed this ? Maybe its just the pics I've seen , can anyone confirm or deny this?

garyg
03-13-2013, 03:17 AM
Steve, it doesn't surprise me that different woods would require different bracing systems but I'd love to hear what the luthiers say about that. I'll bet the vintage ukes all have the same bracing system but someone like Rick with a bunch of different vintage Martins can tell us. I have had 0 - 2 models and although I didn't peer inside of them with fiber optics my guess is that they had the same bracing. Anyone know for sure?

philpot
03-13-2013, 03:38 AM
Loving the videos of the 5k's guys! Hopefully I can add one to the list :) to be clear, I wasn't necessarily saying their price for this uke is outrageous, just that I've seen some pretty crazy prices there in the past. The ukuleles they sell are beautiful, but from what I've seen, you can typically get them elsewhere for cheaper. There is a certain mystique about Gruhn, though. If you're a music lover, you can't walk in there and not be happy.

Chris Tarman
03-13-2013, 05:01 AM
I've never seen a 5K in person (or ANY of the vintage koa Martins, for that matter), but from what I understand, the construction was the same on all of them. The "bling" was all that made a 5K a $55 ukulele back in the day, as opposed to a $25 one.

vanflynn
03-13-2013, 05:12 AM
Have fun Phil, but don't drop it !!!!!!!

PeteyHoudini
03-13-2013, 06:29 AM
Oh no! Should I be buying a new 5K as a comparison sound? hehe

Petey

RichM
03-13-2013, 07:16 AM
why has it been for sale for some time at 9k when everyone else seems to be asking more for a banged up 5k?

It's a good question, and I think there are some realities about the vintage market:

1. Asking price is not selling price. Often, a vintage instrument will sell for much less than the asking price, but most of us will never know about it because the transaction is private. So many shops will list at a high price in hopes of finding a motivated buyer, only to drop the price once its been in the store too long. When I bought my Lyon & Healy Style A mandolin at Gruhn's a few years back, I managed to get 20% of the asking price pretty quickly by showing up with cash in hand on the day they decided it had been there too long.

2. The market for vintage is small, and for vintage ukes, smaller. The number of people willing to lay out 5 figures for a uke is pretty small, and they might not be in buying mode right now. As have been noted by others on this thread, some of these 5Ks have been out there a long time. The market will either wait out the buyers, or prices will start to drop as retailers decide they would rather have money than ukes. That may be what Fred Oster is doing with the $9,000 5K-- figuring if he prices it below market, he can move it quick.

3. Rarity drives price, and when there are a lot out there, they don't feel rare. As many have noted, there are a lot of 5Ks available right now. That reduces the motivation of the buying population, who feel like they can wait for a really good deal, rather than snapping up the first one they see. Unlike, say, a Moore Bettah, which gets snapped up almost instantly, as buyers perceive it will be a long time before they see another one.

Chris Tarman
03-13-2013, 07:38 AM
It's a good question, and I think there are some realities about the vintage market:

1. Asking price is not selling price. Often, a vintage instrument will sell for much less than the asking price, but most of us will never know about it because the transaction is private. So many shops will list at a high price in hopes of finding a motivated buyer, only to drop the price once its been in the store too long. When I bought my Lyon & Healy Style A mandolin at Gruhn's a few years back, I managed to get 20% of the asking price pretty quickly by showing up with cash in hand on the day they decided it had been there too long.

2. The market for vintage is small, and for vintage ukes, smaller. The number of people willing to lay out 5 figures for a uke is pretty small, and they might not be in buying mode right now. As have been noted by others on this thread, some of these 5Ks have been out there a long time. The market will either wait out the buyers, or prices will start to drop as retailers decide they would rather have money than ukes. That may be what Fred Oster is doing with the $9,000 5K-- figuring if he prices it below market, he can move it quick.

3. Rarity drives price, and when there are a lot out there, they don't feel rare. As many have noted, there are a lot of 5Ks available right now. That reduces the motivation of the buying population, who feel like they can wait for a really good deal, rather than snapping up the first one they see. Unlike, say, a Moore Bettah, which gets snapped up almost instantly, as buyers perceive it will be a long time before they see another one.

Those are all great points. "A LOT" of 5Ks on the market is currently 4 or 5 that I am aware of. Two of those are on eBay from the same seller. The number of people who would actually be willing and able to spend even $9,000 on a vintage Martin would be, what.... maybe a hundred or so worldwide? That seems high, actually. So say more like twenty. With a lot of things like this, timing is everything. Say I suddenly came into big money that I could just do whatever I wanted with. I would probably hunt one down. If I had a LOT of money, it would actually be worth the extra $ to fly to Philadelphia (or Nashville, or wherever) to see and play them in person. Although I suppose that if you were dropping that kind of cash at a dealer, they'd have some sort of satisfaction-guaranteed policy. Anyway, a lot of things have to align for an instrument like this to sell. Availability of instrument + availability of motivated buyer + agreeable price. It can take a long time for those things to align.

Chris Tarman
03-13-2013, 07:40 AM
The Music Emporium in Lexington,Mass has a 1933 5K for $ 10,500 . I've noticed only from pictures ,I've never seen one in person but the new ones look like the bridge fell off and it was replaced with a 2 dollar bridge. The bridge on the new ones appears to have no finish. Has anyone else noticed this ? Maybe its just the pics I've seen , can anyone confirm or deny this?

I agree. I've only seen photos of them, but the bridge on the new 5K just doesn't look right. Maybe not, but it looks like an afterthought almost.

RichM
03-13-2013, 08:20 AM
"A LOT" of 5Ks on the market is currently 4 or 5 that I am aware of. Two of those are on eBay from the same seller.

Yup, that's enough to decrease the rarity quotient. They are clearly still rare enough to command a premium price, but not enough to fly off the shelves.

The number of people who would actually be willing and able to spend even $9,000 on a vintage Martin would be, what.... maybe a hundred or so worldwide? That seems high, actually. So say more like twenty. With a lot of things like this, timing is everything. Say I suddenly came into big money that I could just do whatever I wanted with. I would probably hunt one down.

I am a pretty passionate collector, but if I came into $10K of unexpected money, "buying a single uke" would still be pretty far down my priority list. So I think it takes a really unique kind of collector to make that investment.

uketeecee
03-13-2013, 12:03 PM
A Martin 5K is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

BTW There's also more 5K footage from the Krouk uke party here (at the 1:20 mark)

http://youtu.be/T3GplZNWXaE

rpfrogner
03-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Steve, it doesn't surprise me that different woods would require different bracing systems but I'd love to hear what the luthiers say about that. I'll bet the vintage ukes all have the same bracing system but someone like Rick with a bunch of different vintage Martins can tell us. I have had 0 - 2 models and although I didn't peer inside of them with fiber optics my guess is that they had the same bracing. Anyone know for sure?

I have not really noted any major differences in the bracing of the vintage Martin ukuleles (and I always get out a dental mirror and LED mini flashlight to check inside of all the ones I have owned). I cannot speak for a 5K as I have never seen one in person either, but I doubt any great difference. The bracing in these ukes is not perfectly exact, but those differences appear to me to be (and I am not an expert....just an observer) from uke to uke not style to style, and I understand (as Steve noted) that they did have the more expensive and ornate models crafted by their most experienced luthiers.
That said I am not sure (not having one) if a 5K sounds too much exceptionally better than a 3K (and both have the extended fretboard......another topic which has had discussion). As to rarity of the 5K, they are definitely rare but at this moment there seems to be a good many available so.......it is a buyers market right now :). Lets all go get one!
They are exceptional looking and sounding instruments from what I have seen and heard (recorded)......maybe one day I will be lucky enough to have one myself.

hmgberg
03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
I've looked inside a lot of vintage Martins, and they are all braced the same. I read, at some point, that Martin used dedicated ukulele luthiers for the 3s and 5s. I cannot verify that, however.

Rarity of the 5K is but one element affecting price (market price being what a willing buyer will pay for an item at a given...blah, blah, you know the rest). There are some very rare ukuleles that don't command high prices. For many ukulele collectors, a vintage 5K is the greatest ukulele ever made. I'm not saying this to provoke a discussion about the 5K vs. a high-end custom ukulele, or the perennial, and frankly tedious, debate, "Does a vintage 5K really sound 4-5 times better than a vintage 1K?" Or, "1,000 times better than a laminated ukulele (tedious debate)." I'm just saying that the 5K has achieved a lofty status and people are willing to pay a premium for that.

I've seen a lot of unfinished bridges, too. Not so much on vintage ukuleles, but on newer ones it's more common. Sometimes a luthier will rub a little linseed oil on the bridge, or not, regardless of the finish on the rest of the instrument.

rpfrogner
03-13-2013, 03:14 PM
As to rarity of a soprano koa Martin ukulele (with a Martin stamp), I may be wrong, but I would think that a 3K with the "kite" ornament on the headstock is more rare as I have seen precious few of those for sale (I am aware of only 1 today). I don't know for a fact that my stating this is true. I am looking very forward to a new book that is coming out in September that should answer a lot of those type of questions as to Martin uke production numbers by style and by year.

Chris Tarman
03-13-2013, 03:41 PM
A Martin 5K is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

BTW There's also more 5K footage from the Krouk uke party here (at the 1:20 mark)

http://youtu.be/T3GplZNWXaE

Holy moley, that is gorgeous! Both the uke and the piece he's playing. I'm beginning to think, however, that this was NOT Krouk's party in France, but rather someone else's party in Australia. I can't think of his name, but there's a guy who posted here a while back about a 3K he bought that had been in an attic in Michigan (it seems like it was Michigan). He's an Australian with several VERY nice Martins including a 5K, and he has videos of other people playing his 5K as well. I don't know if Krouk has a 5K (although he seems to have at least one of every other vintage Martin!).

Chris Tarman
03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Here's a link to the blog of the guy I mentioned in my last post. I bookmarked it right after he posted here about his 3K.
http://uketeecee.tumblr.com/

pdxuke
03-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Chuck "Frets" Fayne over at FMM has maintained for a while now that we are in a "depressed" market for vintage. There may be some truth to this. The economy has had an effect on the market, bringing some quality items to market for "good" prices. That seems to be the case with the 5Ks.

uketeecee
03-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Time to come clean? OK.

The vintage Martin 5K being played by James Hill in those clips belongs to me. My name is Terry Chapman ('uketeecee'). I am Australian. I own several old Martin ukes. I travelled to Paris in 2011 and took my 5K with me. I was invited to Philippe Krouk's uke party where I met James Hill. The footage you see of James playing my 5K was taken by me.

Here in my home town of Melbourne, I caught up again with James last week at our annual Ukulele Festival. It is me conducting that interviewing with him on the footpath.

Not long ago I posted here about a Martin style 3 uke with kite that was found in the attic of an old house in Duluth, Minnesota.

I bought my first old Martin uke in the mid-1970's and have been a big fan of Martin ukes ever since.

In 2005 I purchased the vintage Martin 5K from the family of the original owner. That uke has travelled around the world with me and helped me to meet so many interesting and talented people.

Is a vintage Martin 5K ukulele worth the money? Absolutely.

Regards - Terry

pdxuke
03-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Time to come clean? OK.

The vintage Martin 5K being played by James Hill in those clips belongs to me. My name is Terry Chapman ('uketeecee'). I am Australian. I own several old Martin ukes. I travelled to Paris in 2011 and took my 5K with me. I was invited to Philippe Krouk's uke party where I met James Hill. The footage you see of James playing my 5K was taken by me.

Here in my home town of Melbourne, I caught up again with James last week at our annual Ukulele Festival. It is me conducting that interviewing with him on the footpath.

Not long ago I posted here about a Martin style 3 uke with kite that was found in the attic of an old house in Duluth, Minnesota.

I bought my first old Martin uke in the mid-1970's and have been a big fan of Martin ukes ever since.

In 2005 I purchased the vintage Martin 5K from the family of the original owner. That uke has travelled around the world with me and helped me to meet so many interesting and talented people.

Regards - Terry

Haha, thanks for coming clean, Terry :-) And you'll get no argument over the value of a Martin 5K from me! :-)

Chris Tarman
03-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Time to come clean? OK.

Regards - Terry

Hi Terry! So my story was PARTIALLY right. I remembered some of it correctly, at least. You'll get no arguments from me about the worth of a 5K either. I keep fantasizing about stumbling onto one at a yard sale or antique shop. That's the only way I could afford one, I'm sure, and most likely fantasizing will be as close as I come to owning one. I can still dream though... Your's is stunning, btw, as is that kite Style 3.
Keep in touch!

coolkayaker1
03-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Terry, your interviews are keen! And that 5k, oh my Lord! Question: were Martin 5's all 5K koas, or did martin make any 5's in 'hog?

That Ditson in your blog is "3-mazing", do you own that, too? My ukes are 1/20th the the value of yours, and yet I worry about a house fire more than anything.

Rick, Thom, Gary, Chris (the pipes, the pipes, ditch the vintage pipes!), Daniel: somebody buy that 5K in Philly~!! ---Steve

Dan Uke
03-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Terry, your interviews are keen! And that 5k, oh my Lord! Question: were Martin 5's all 5K koas, or did martin make any 5's in 'hog?

That Ditson in your blog is "3-mazing", do you own that, too? My ukes are 1/20th the the value of yours, and yet I worry about a house fire more than anything.

Rick, Thom, Gary, Chris (the pipes, the pipes, ditch the vintage pipes!), Daniel: somebody buy that 5K in Philly~!! ---Steve

Good question cuz I rather buy a 5M. I know people not going to like my comment but I personally like the vintage hog I played over the 5K I played. However, for investment purpose, I would buy the koa over hog

Is anyone getting any tax refund...could use it to buy that uke!!

pdxuke
03-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Good question cuz I rather buy a 5M. I know people not going to like my comment but I personally like the vintage hog I played over the 5K I played.

Is anyone getting any taxes back...could use it to buy that uke!!

If the good City of Portland would just refund my property taxes this year, I could buy that uke... :-)

rpfrogner
03-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Somebody else might help me here, but if I am not mistaken Martin offered a mahogany version for possibly one or two years very close to the time they discontinued making the vintage version of the 5K.
I'd love to own a 5K myself one day......not sure when that timing would be.

RichM
03-14-2013, 03:21 AM
While this thread hasn't convinced me to sell my car and buy a 5K, it does have me thinking about having a custom made in the 5K style. I would love a 5K concert... that would be sweet.

Dan Uke
03-14-2013, 03:27 AM
While this thread hasn't convinced me to sell my car and buy a 5K, it does have me thinking about having a custom made in the 5K style. I would love a 5K concert... that would be sweet.

Da Silva makes a 5K replica!!

Stevelele
03-14-2013, 03:31 AM
He's only made one--I have it!

Da Silva makes a 5K replica!!

coolkayaker1
03-14-2013, 05:31 AM
He's only made one--I have it! Doesn't NatalieS on UU have a 5K DaSilva replica? Or is it a 3K? DId you buy hers-it was on UU Marketplace a couple months ago.

Edit: Hers was a lowly 3K (thread plus video here)--lol
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?72716-Checking-interest-DaSilva-3K-soprano&highlight=natalies+dasilva

RichM, I have a Kiwaya KTC-3 concert Martin 3 replica---it's pretty sweet (mahogany). But, if you're dedicated to koa, Martin makes a new 3K, no? Might wants the geared tuners swapped out, but fair price retention in resale.

Dan Uke
03-14-2013, 05:36 AM
Doesn't NatalieS on UU have a 5K DaSilva replica? Or is it a 3K? DId you buy hers-it was on UU Marketplace a couple months ago.

RichM, I have a Kiwaya KTC-3 concert Martin 3 replica---it's pretty sweet (mahogany). But, if you're dedicated to koa, Martin makes a new 3K, no? Might wants the geared tuners swapped out, but fair price retention in resale.

Natalie's was a 3K and I've played one but never seen or heard a 5K from DaSilva. syfc needs to share a pic!!

coolkayaker1
03-14-2013, 06:03 AM
Natalie's was a 3K and I've played one but never seen or heard a 5K from DaSilva. syfc needs to share a pic!!

When you gettin' a Martin, Daniel?

hmgberg
03-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Somebody else might help me here, but if I am not mistaken Martin offered a mahogany version for possibly one or two years very close to the time they discontinued making the vintage version of the 5K.
I'd love to own a 5K myself one day......not sure when that timing would be.

I know that C. F. Martin made a mahogany version for his wife Daisy. I don't know that any others were made until 2005, when Martin, the company, made a limited number of them.

mm stan
03-14-2013, 12:13 PM

I got the same one as Natalie...3K did you play it Danny over here....hmmm I should have shown you that one...

Dan Uke
03-14-2013, 12:38 PM
I got the same one as Natalie...3K did you play it Danny over here....hmmm I should have shown you that one...

I just remember playing your MBU!! :p

Chris Tarman
03-14-2013, 02:04 PM
I know that C. F. Martin made a mahogany version for his wife Daisy. I don't know that any others were made until 2005, when Martin, the company, made a limited number of them.

That's my understanding as well. Only one until the reissue.

rpfrogner
03-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Yes, the Daisy is no doubt. But I have read a couple other sources in the past few years stating that one was offered in 1941/42. I cannot find an advertising card or price listing for those years that would confirm that however. I am very anxious for the new book in the fall that will hopefully help answer some of these type questions.

mm stan
03-14-2013, 02:59 PM
I just remember playing your MBU!! :p

LOL wished you brought yours instead of your Kamaka....:)

soupking
03-14-2013, 03:47 PM

I really should mosey on over there to check out that 5K. I've been in that shop before and it's a vintage gallery, to be sure. All types of old stringed instruments hanging on the wall. I didn't even check out any of the guitars they have because I was on a mission for a Martin soprano. It's not really open to the public, I think you have to make an appointment, but they were very nice the day I showed up; they basically whipped out all the Martins they had in stock and left me in the basement unattended for a good while. You have to be granted permission for entry, which I learned after finally ringing the buzzer after summoning up the courage. I think I'm heading down in that direction this coming Tuesday to drop a uke off to luthier Ron Ruggerio. Perhaps I'll give them a buzz (on the phone this time) and see if I can check that thing out. If I'm feeling really crazy maybe I'll ask the lady to shoot a video of me playing it with the disclaimer that "perhaps I can help you offload this beauty." The chances of all this occurring are probably about 5% but at present I feel very motivated to put on a show. Lol.

uketeecee
03-14-2013, 05:03 PM
They basically whipped out all the Martins they had in stock and left me in the basement unattended for a good while.

Great story, Soupking, about being left in the basement with all those Martin ukes. Ha! What if they had locked you in and left you there for two weeks? At least you would have had one kind of smorgasbord, but sadly no soup. BTW I like your avatar, is that you?

That Ditson in your blog is "3-mazing", do you own that, too?
Yes, that's another one of mine, it's one of my favorite ukes. The Ditson dreadnaught ukes have great tone. Not all the ukes shown in my blog belong to me.

blowery
03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
What is the classical tune James hill is playing? Says it's one of King's arrangements?

uketeecee
03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
What is the classical tune James hill is playing? Says it's one of King's arrangements?

It's Hone A Ka Wai by Ernest Ka'ai, from from the book Famous Solos and Duets for the Ukulele, edited by John King. The book comes with tabs and an audio CD.

RichM
03-21-2013, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the inspiration, my co-dependent friends! This thread inspired me to order a 3K style concert uke from Dave Talsma. After considering the 3K and 5K appointments, I decided I really preferred the 3K appointments and Dave has built some stunning 3M and 3K concerts. Based on his build schedule, this may end up being my Christmas present.

coolkayaker1
03-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Talsma's work looks nice. Sounds great (especially if it has friction tuners rather than those current Martin geared tuners).

I have a Kiwaya KTC-3 Martin 3 concert (mahogany--I didn;t spring for the Kiwaya Koa) and it's sweet. I know what you mean about 3 style.

RichM
03-21-2013, 07:25 AM
Talsma's work looks nice. Sounds great (especially if it has friction tuners rather than those current Martin geared tuners).

I have a Kiwaya KTC-3 Martin 3 concert (mahogany--I didn;t spring for the Kiwaya Koa) and it's sweet. I know what you mean about 3 style.

The think the 3 style is one of the most attractive and classic uke style out there. I considered one of the current Martin models, but they don't currrently make a 3K concert, and frankly, what Dave Talsma is building now is more evocative of the vintage Martin style than Martin themselves. I've never done a custom build before, so this is pretty exciting. While I suppose this is not as custom as some (we're not designing from the ground up, we're evoking a classic design), I'm really looking forward to seeing this take shape. Dave won't start on it until the fall, so I'll have lots of time to second-guess my decisions... :)

hawaii 50
03-21-2013, 07:45 AM
I didn't know these were so valuable or I would have played one longer.

you had your chance..but it will still be around the next time you come out..it is in perfect condition too

philpot
03-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Shew! This thread has a mind of its own :D glad I could start such an engaging conversation about an amazing uke.

Well, we went to Nashville, and we were blessed with a fantastic win at the state competition! That means my mock trial team will represent the state of Tennessee at the national competition in May. In the hustle and bustle since, I had forgotten to fill you guys in on how things went down.

I stopped by Gruhn, and it was lovely as always. They had a ukulele wall that was pretty similar to the last time I came down, with the addition of a vintage banjolele with a slipping tuner. One cool thing was that I got to play a brand new Martin 1k soprano and a 30's vintage 1k soprano side-by-side and compare them. There's no doubt that the vintage was worlds ahead of the new one. The new one honestly sounded cheap and lifeless. I could blame the strings, but the vintage had a huge edge.

As far as the 5k... unfortunately, it was in a safe upstairs at the shop in preparation for a move in the next couple months :( they said they don't have the room or the equipment to display it safely in their current limited space. And, despite my earnest pleadings, they weren't willing to let me take a look at it unless I had cash in hand ready to purchase it. So no 5k videos :( oh well. Someday.

uketeecee
03-22-2013, 02:56 AM
Thanks for your report Phil. Interesting comments on the 1K comparison.
Shame you didn't get your hands on that vintage 5K, but congrats on your team's win in Nashville!

Stevelele
03-22-2013, 03:56 AM
Just saw this now--here's my Dasilva concert 5k. It is unbelievable--but believe it or not, I am considering selling it to fund others. 50676

Steedy
03-22-2013, 04:54 AM
Yah, the second floor at Gruhn's is like Fort Knox, or Warehouse 13 maybe. :)

uketeecee
03-23-2013, 02:02 AM
James Hill (in Paris) with a vintage Martin 5K