Martin 5k

philpot

Reaction score
I'm heading down to Nashville for my state mock trial tournament on Thursday, and every time I go I make a stop by Gruhn Guitars to see what overpriced vintage ukes they've picked up since last time I visited. Last time they had Martin 3k listed on the website that sold the day before I arrived. Well, I checked the web inventory today, and unless someone decides to drop $12,500 on a ukulele in the next two days, I'll have a chance to play a lovely little 30s Martin 5k :) I wouldn't ever consider buying it, but I'm looking forward to holding a little piece of uke history. I'll keep you guys posted!

-Phil

Can you make a tiny video of you playing it? Videos of 5ks are rare, even on youtube. I think I saw one of James Hill playing one on there once.

Can you make a tiny video of you playing it? Videos of 5ks are rare, even on youtube. I think I saw one of James Hill playing one on there once.

I'll see what I can do! They usually don't bother me when I camp out to play their entire uke wall, but I don't know if I might get yelled at for making a video. I'll try it out, and if I get in trouble, I'll just apologize profusely and run ;)

Wow, it's lovely, you should definitely buy it. At only $12K, it's a steal! :)

I'll try it out, and if I get in trouble, I'll just apologize profusely and run ;)

And blame me. Lol

Seriously, if you tell them you'll link their store in the comments, I think they'd adore it. It takes creative marketing to sell a uke that costs as much as a Harley.

I'm on my iPad and it defaults to mobile. Can someone go on youtube and search James hill Martin and the video comes up of him playing one for a minute and a half. I can't embed it here. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here you go. .

12K would be one of the lowest I have seen in a while. 16K-20K seems to be the asking prices I have seen; then again, I have only seen about 4 for sale in the last 2 years.

By the way, I know this will sound crazy, but 12k is actually not too bad a price for a Martin 5K. I'll never own one unless I get lucky enough to find one at a yard sale (or inherit a lot of money from some relative I don't know of), but I know of them selling (people actually PAYING) for much, much more than that. The Denver Folklore Center (a great acoustic music store, in spite of the museum-like name) has one on their website in their "Archive of Instruments Sold" that sold for $18,000.

Marvelous! Oh, to be invited to a Krouk uke party!

12K would be one of the lowest I have seen in a while. 16K-20K seems to be the asking prices I have seen; then again, I have only seen about 4 for sale in the last 2 years.

What he said. Although I know of someone who got one for a fantastically low price not too long ago. Even that was more than I would ever be able to afford. Unless I sold off most of my pipe collection. Which isn't totally out of the question. That would actually probably get me more than enough, but it would take a long time to liquidate. I tend to think of my pipe collection as my supplemental retirement income a few years down the line.

Last edited:
There's a vintage instrument shop here in Philly selling a 1925 near perfect condition for $9k... click here. if only i have money like that to spend on a uke... :(

There's a vintage instrument shop here in Philly selling a 1925 near perfect condition for $9k... click here. if only i have money like that to spend on a uke... :(

Oooooo! That's a nice one! And almost the best price I've heard of for one. Almost. Some lucky so-and-so got one for a little less than that.... 'Nuff said! (And no, it wasn't me!).

It's a better investment than a car. If only I wasn't too old to bike everywhere :)

I'm not... although my workplace is 30 miles away (one way) and I have to be there at 6:45 am... That makes it tough to bike on a regular basis. I HAVE done it a couple of times. Getting back home is a drag... I have an old, non-running MG Midget that I could sell for, oh, maybe 1/3 of that. Actually, since it ALREADY doesn't run, shouldn't it be worth MORE? Saves the new owner the hassle of having to get it not to run!

Last edited:
Top Bottom