Instrumental or Folk?

Instrumental or Folk?

• Total voters

electrauke

Reaction score
I am going to be hosting a season of the ukulele and am torn between having the theme be instrumentals or folk music. I really want to have a lot of people submit. Thanks.

I voted instrumental, I think it's a great idea, but I think you would get more takers with folk.

I voted for instrumental, because I can't recall seeing an instrumental season yet. Although, I will admit that I didn't follow them for a long time, so maybe I just missed it (them).

Two great themes Andre.

I think we've had several folk-related weeks so far but I can't remember a strictly 'instrumental' week yet either...man, that would sure be a challenge.

Either one will be a winner mate, looking forward to it. All the best.

Which theme do you know better Andre? What theme do you want to listen to cuz you will be the judge!!

Which theme do you know better Andre? What theme do you want to listen to cuz you will be the judge!!

You know what, I read the list and there has never been an instrumental season, and I WANT to hear instrumentals.

Both good themes. I went for instrumental.

If it was instrumental, would you allow ukulele accompanying another instrument?

With a voice like mine, all you can hope for is instrumentals.

If you want to have the most people submit it would probably be folk - players like me aren't quite up to instrumentals yet. However, I would gladly sit back and watch the videos of those who submit for an instrumental season.

If you want to have the most people submit it would probably be folk - players like me aren't quite up to instrumentals yet. However, I would gladly sit back and watch the videos of those who submit for an instrumental season.

What Frisbee Fred said. I'm almost exclsuively a strummer, and while I don't sing well, singing is really the only way I can add melody to a song's chords, and I'm not sure how I'd perform a song as an instrumental without the melody. On the other hand, I too would sit back and watch a week's worth of instrumental videos. For what it's worth, I haven't participated yet in the Seasons (I'm still looking for enough free time to make a video and jump in), so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I will be going with instrumentals. I love hearing them and people that cannot or do not want to sing will have a chance to enter. And yes I would let other instruments accompany the uke.

I think instrumentals would be great, and people have already made the relevant points about that so I won't repeat them. I love folk music, but we have had a couple. I'm voting for instrumentals!

Instrumentals are fine; in fact, no Season has ever banned them! IMS, they have featured fairly often. On the other hand, a lot of us strummers and pickers will probably choose to sit this one out. But hey, that's OK too. :cool:

Great ideas!

We've never had an all-instrumental Season; it would be a blast. That being said, folk music is one of the great gifts humanity has given itself. Specifying a certain era/area as a folk music source is a great way to focus a Season.

But why not use both of your ideas?! Challenge: Play an instrumental arrangement of a folk song. (An arrangement could be as simple as a melody plucked out as individual notes---that's a great challenge for beginners. For players that have developed some confidence with instrumental playing, the challenge could be as difficult as the player likes.)

I haven't noticed a common thread in the themes that have drawn the most participants---I wouldn't worry too much about how many entries your Season will get---you'll have fun hosting whether you have 15 entries or 50. Looking forward to your Season, electrauke!

Challenge: Play an instrumental arrangement of a folk song. (An arrangement could be as simple as a melody plucked out as individual notes---that's a great challenge for beginners. For players that have developed some confidence with instrumental playing, the challenge could be as difficult as the player likes.)

That could be a lot of fun indeed!

Great ideas!

We've never had an all-instrumental Season; it would be a blast. That being said, folk music is one of the great gifts humanity has given itself. Specifying a certain era/area as a folk music source is a great way to focus a Season.

But why not use both of your ideas?! Challenge: Play an instrumental arrangement of a folk song. (An arrangement could be as simple as a melody plucked out as individual notes---that's a great challenge for beginners. For players that have developed some confidence with instrumental playing, the challenge could be as difficult as the player likes.)

I haven't noticed a common thread in the themes that have drawn the most participants---I wouldn't worry too much about how many entries your Season will get---you'll have fun hosting whether you have 15 entries or 50. Looking forward to your Season, electrauke!

Yeah, I think I might have 2 categories, one for instrumentals and one for folk :) All I know is that this is going to be fun :)

Top Bottom