PDA

View Full Version : Instrumental or Folk?

electrauke
03-12-2013, 04:51 PM
I am going to be hosting a season of the ukulele and am torn between having the theme be instrumentals or folk music. I really want to have a lot of people submit. Thanks.

Dougf
03-12-2013, 04:59 PM
I voted instrumental, I think it's a great idea, but I think you would get more takers with folk.

uke4ia
03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
They've both got a lot of breadth, people can find plenty of songs to play.

Chris Tarman
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
I voted for instrumental, because I can't recall seeing an instrumental season yet. Although, I will admit that I didn't follow them for a long time, so maybe I just missed it (them).

Hippie Dribble
03-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Two great themes Andre.

I think we've had several folk-related weeks so far but I can't remember a strictly 'instrumental' week yet either...man, that would sure be a challenge.

Either one will be a winner mate, looking forward to it. All the best.

Dan Uke
03-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Which theme do you know better Andre? What theme do you want to listen to cuz you will be the judge!!

electrauke
03-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Which theme do you know better Andre? What theme do you want to listen to cuz you will be the judge!!

You know what, I read the list and there has never been an instrumental season, and I WANT to hear instrumentals.

Tootler
03-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Both good themes. I went for instrumental.

If it was instrumental, would you allow ukulele accompanying another instrument?

chrimess
03-13-2013, 01:13 AM
With a voice like mine, all you can hope for is instrumentals.

drbekken
03-13-2013, 01:55 AM
Instrumentals are wonderful. No need to learn all those lyrics!

frisbee fred
03-13-2013, 03:07 AM
If you want to have the most people submit it would probably be folk - players like me aren't quite up to instrumentals yet. However, I would gladly sit back and watch the videos of those who submit for an instrumental season.

BlueLatitude
03-13-2013, 04:06 AM
It would be nice for those who can't or don't sing to have a chance to enter a season.

frisbee fred
03-13-2013, 04:22 AM
It would be nice for those who can't or don't sing to have a chance to enter a season.

Good point, Blue, I hadn't thought of it that way.

mds725
03-13-2013, 05:37 AM
If you want to have the most people submit it would probably be folk - players like me aren't quite up to instrumentals yet. However, I would gladly sit back and watch the videos of those who submit for an instrumental season.

What Frisbee Fred said. I'm almost exclsuively a strummer, and while I don't sing well, singing is really the only way I can add melody to a song's chords, and I'm not sure how I'd perform a song as an instrumental without the melody. On the other hand, I too would sit back and watch a week's worth of instrumental videos. For what it's worth, I haven't participated yet in the Seasons (I'm still looking for enough free time to make a video and jump in), so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

electrauke
03-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Yeah, I will be going with instrumentals. I love hearing them and people that cannot or do not want to sing will have a chance to enter. And yes I would let other instruments accompany the uke.

barefootgypsy
03-14-2013, 01:36 AM
I think instrumentals would be great, and people have already made the relevant points about that so I won't repeat them. I love folk music, but we have had a couple. I'm voting for instrumentals!

Barbablanca
03-14-2013, 03:06 AM
Instrumentals are fine; in fact, no Season has ever banned them! IMS, they have featured fairly often. On the other hand, a lot of us strummers and pickers will probably choose to sit this one out. But hey, that's OK too. :cool:

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-14-2013, 05:53 AM
Great ideas!

We've never had an all-instrumental Season; it would be a blast. That being said, folk music is one of the great gifts humanity has given itself. Specifying a certain era/area as a folk music source is a great way to focus a Season.

But why not use both of your ideas?! Challenge: Play an instrumental arrangement of a folk song. (An arrangement could be as simple as a melody plucked out as individual notes---that's a great challenge for beginners. For players that have developed some confidence with instrumental playing, the challenge could be as difficult as the player likes.)

I haven't noticed a common thread in the themes that have drawn the most participants---I wouldn't worry too much about how many entries your Season will get---you'll have fun hosting whether you have 15 entries or 50. Looking forward to your Season, electrauke!

BlueLatitude
03-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Challenge: Play an instrumental arrangement of a folk song. (An arrangement could be as simple as a melody plucked out as individual notes---that's a great challenge for beginners. For players that have developed some confidence with instrumental playing, the challenge could be as difficult as the player likes.)

That could be a lot of fun indeed!

electrauke
03-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Great ideas!

We've never had an all-instrumental Season; it would be a blast. That being said, folk music is one of the great gifts humanity has given itself. Specifying a certain era/area as a folk music source is a great way to focus a Season.

But why not use both of your ideas?! Challenge: Play an instrumental arrangement of a folk song. (An arrangement could be as simple as a melody plucked out as individual notes---that's a great challenge for beginners. For players that have developed some confidence with instrumental playing, the challenge could be as difficult as the player likes.)

I haven't noticed a common thread in the themes that have drawn the most participants---I wouldn't worry too much about how many entries your Season will get---you'll have fun hosting whether you have 15 entries or 50. Looking forward to your Season, electrauke!

Yeah, I think I might have 2 categories, one for instrumentals and one for folk :) All I know is that this is going to be fun :)

Dan Uke
03-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Do folk music from 2010+ to make more challenging. We already had enough folk songs from the 1600s

uke4ia
03-14-2013, 11:14 AM

Personally, I wouldn't want to do that. I can think of several instrumentals I'd be interested in playing, and several folk songs I'd be interested in playing. But doing an instrumental version of a folk song, naah. I'd probably skip that week.

Frax
03-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Awesome ideas !!!
I voted instrumental, because we can have plenty of different ideas on this one, including non-conventionnal instruments for the rythm, for instance...

KamakOzzie
03-16-2013, 04:38 AM
I am going to be hosting a season of the ukulele and am torn between having the theme be instrumentals or folk music. I really want to have a lot of people submit. Thanks.

When is your season coming up? I have not entered one yet, and might be up for an instrumental. I'll need to coordinate with my buddy that has the video equipment.

Bill