PDA

View Full Version : Practice practice practice

twistedsoda
03-12-2013, 06:27 PM
I was just sitting here strumming my ukulele and wondered how often you play your ukulele. Do you pick it up everyday? Once a week? How many hours a day, if any?

I pick it up once a day and try to learn a new song every day. It's hard not to pick it up, it stares at me if I don't. Did your play it today. Did it make you happy? Of course it did.

I play minimum one hour a day. I've never taken a lesson and scour the forums for new info. Very helpful. I have been know to play for 8 hours, once I start I can't stop.

kenikas
03-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Wow! I wish I had that kind of spare time. I feel lucky if I can pick up one of my instruments every couple of days, and if I can get in an hour or two of practice a week it seems like a good week.

Hippie Dribble
03-12-2013, 07:06 PM
maybe 30 minutes a day on average. every note and every strum puts fresh air in my lungs. :)

ukuloonie
03-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Playing the Ukulele Helps a lot with Cabin Fever, Woohoo Springs coming. Gonna need me a Camping Ukulele now.
Depends on the day, If I add all the time up during the day it does add up to 30mins .

electrauke
03-12-2013, 07:38 PM
I play everyday whenever I get spare time, it works out really well since I am homeschooled.

uke552
03-12-2013, 08:03 PM
I try and play everyday. Sometimes that is only 5-10 minutes and most days about half an hour.

Katz-in-Boots
03-12-2013, 09:38 PM
I try and play everyday. Sometimes that is only 5-10 minutes and most days about half an hour.

Yep, that's about how I do it. Depends what else I've done that day - because I have hand problems, I can't play uke if I've done a bit on computer or something else.
I make sure I at least tune one or two, and strum a little.

Luke El U
03-12-2013, 10:03 PM
I teach full time and have a wife and 3-year-old daughter to be with, but if I didn't play music at least one hour (preferably 2) per day, I'd go crazy.
So, it means most other activities are avoided. The uke (and other instruments) bring essential solace and joy to my life.

mm stan
03-12-2013, 10:16 PM
I think it is Practice, Patience and Perserverence.......

Newportlocal
03-12-2013, 10:26 PM
I play about two hours a day. More on the weekends. I still have much to learn and improve, but I am enjoying the journey.

falty
03-13-2013, 03:32 AM
I play at least a little every day. But on average a minimum of 30 minutes a day. I play in the car sitting in traffic a lot. If I grab my uke and draw a blank about what to play I just CFG and DDUUDU. I just never get tired of the simplest things.

RonT
03-13-2013, 03:42 AM
I plunk away at 'Over the Rainbow', and a 'Creep" (Radiohead), G-B7-C-Cm) (Thanks, BillMo) daily. Got my first Uke ~2 weeks ago, picking up my second this morning (UAS!). Startin' to get habit forming......
R

Mandarb
03-13-2013, 03:58 AM
I always enjoy these type of threads - it is interesting to me to see how much time people put in with their ukes. It also brings up the concept of practice vs. play or how an individual defines these terms. I used to practice (i.e. working on technique, riffs, new material) an hour or two a day. The last several months have been very difficult. I have had a lot of long stressful days at work. By the time that I get done the things I need to at home and finally sit down to relax I do not have much energy to do anything. Hopefully things will improve in the near future.

csibona
03-13-2013, 05:35 AM
I'm a daily player - usually about an hour or so - it's hard to say because I work from home. I pick up different music books and work on a song or two. I've been playing for about three years - I'm mostly a beginner.

drbekken
03-13-2013, 05:44 AM
I play every day.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
03-13-2013, 05:45 AM
I agree with mmstan:

"I think it is Practice, Patience and Perserverence....... "

might I suggest working on the Ukulele Boot Camp practice sheets?
It's a great way to cover 5 keys and a few unfamiliar chords to keep the
finger dexterity and chord-forming hand strength for when you perform
or play at song circles :) [Boot Camp link in signature]

Several of us have regular weekly gigs which tend to make up most of our
playing and practicing time, esp if we're working up new songs and sets.

Then there are those weekly song circles in various parts of the city/greater
city areas where we 'intrude' and 'insinuate' ourselves for others' and our own
enjoyment and 'practice'.

having lead a 9-week and now a 10-week class, which will be extending another
11 weeks (?!), it truly is Practice, Patience - as the skill will come, and Perseverance -
no give up!

Most of us who have been playing for years, decades even, can't say enough about
'persevering' to the noobies and beginners. looking back, to me, it seems like I've
always known how to play, and yet I know I had to learn it sometime. As time heals
all wounds, it also covers all the heartaches from the effort it takes to learn these
things, so that one day, you'll be playing along with a noobie and trying to encourage
them to keep practicing and being patient and persevering :)

It will come... right mmstan?

keep uke'in',

FairyGodmartyr
03-13-2013, 05:47 AM
Depends on the day. I have 6 kids and homeschool, which makes for two big practice roadblocks. 1) If I try to practice during the day, I instantly have about 3 or 4 Mahalos in my lap to be tuned so they can play, too. Then, I am teaching them chords, or trying to focus while a 3yo strums next to me. So I wait until they are in bed, which means...2) I am frequently exhausted by the time I can play without interruption. Still, I usually manage 30 minutes to an hour each night.

Mivo
03-13-2013, 06:18 AM
It's only been a couple weeks for me so far, but I have managed to practice a bit every day. Ranging from an hour to a few hours, depending on time. I spend too much time reading the forum, though, which does cut into practice time (but it's fun and interesting!), and I'm waiting for the Uke Leash (found a "local" vendor who carried them) to arrive. Ordered one after I realized that I was holding the tenor wrong and have trouble holding it correctly while also being able to strum in a relaxed way. Luckily, some others had the same problem and the Uke Leash fixed it for them. Hopefully that will be the case for me too.

In the meantime, I also ordered a set-up soprano, which I probably will have fretboard troubles with, but in the long run I'd like to be able to manage, so I need one... well, "need". ;)

Dominator
03-13-2013, 06:35 AM

Very true and this sort of goes hand in hand with something James Hill told me years ago. I've never been able to live up to it myself but here's what he says is the difference between an amateur and a professional. "an amateur practices until he/she gets it right. A professional practices until they can't get it wrong". There's rarely a day that goes by where I don't play my ukulele. However, no matter how much I play or practice I still find myself having to work hard at it and every now and then I might get something right. Most of all I just try to keep it fun.

UKEonomics
03-13-2013, 06:39 AM
It depends on what day it is. On long days at work I only find half an hour so. On light days or if I'm off, usually an hour or two.

....I probably spend that same amount of time looking at ukes on ebay or trying to get my toddler to tell mommy that we need more ukuleles. :)

LifesShort
03-13-2013, 07:28 AM
I play at least a few minutes most every day. Some days a I actually spend an hour or two practicing technique, new chord forms, or new, challenging songs. On "practice days," I usually am pretty serious and work hard. Other days, I pick up a song book and just strum some songs for enjoyment and relaxation. Or, I play the difficult songs that aren't quite so difficult because of those "practice days."

Mivo
03-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Bit related, I picked up Guitar Zero (http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Zero-Musician-Science-Learning/dp/1594203172), which is the story of a cognitive psychologist who, without any musical talent or knowledge, decides on his 40th birthday to become an expert guitar player. Good read so far, and demonstrates that deliberate, "effortful" practice is more important than age or "talent". (Though aptitude most certainly helps.)

aquadan
03-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Depends what else I've done that day - because I have hand problems, I can't play uke if I've done a bit on computer or something else.

I've had tendonitis in my wrists on and off for 20 years. Kayak injuries in my left arm haven't helped any. So some days I can play a lot, some days I just look longingly at the cases in the corner. So I play what I can, but not as much as I'd like.

mattydee
03-13-2013, 01:44 PM
I look for at least an hour a day -- though sometimes that is not contiguous, and sometimes life intervenes. I tend to bring a uke with me to work, too, to play on breaks.

Newportlocal
03-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Bit related, I picked up Guitar Zero (http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Zero-Musician-Science-Learning/dp/1594203172), which is the story of a cognitive psychologist who, without any musical talent or knowledge, decides on his 40th birthday to become an expert guitar player. Good read so far, and demonstrates that deliberate, "effortful" practice is more important than age or "talent". (Though aptitude most certainly helps.)

Looks like a great book to read thanks for mentioning it.

Big Bob
03-15-2013, 02:20 PM
I've been struming and picking for the past 8 years.My routine is after breakfast,and after taking my 10 pills,I sit in my rocking chair with my coffee and play my ukulele for 1 to 2 hours and that includes the time I doze off with my ukulele in my arms.LOL.Oh I should add ,yes I am retired and enjoying every minute of it with the support of my wonderful understanding wife of almost 50 years.

OldePhart
03-15-2013, 02:26 PM
I probably get somewhere near an hour a day on average, but often not contiguous. Sometimes it will be twenty minutes during lunch. Ten minutes while I'm waiting for a server transfer to finish or fifteen minutes where I've finished one thing and have a conference call in fifteen minutes so no real time to put my head into something else. Then maybe a half-an-hour after dinner. That sort of thing.

John

UncleMoon
03-15-2013, 02:37 PM
"an amateur practices until he/she gets it right. A professional practices until they can't get it wrong".

Best. Quote. Ever.

This just changed my entire outlook. Thanks.

OldePhart
03-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Very true and this sort of goes hand in hand with something James Hill told me years ago. I've never been able to live up to it myself but here's what he says is the difference between an amateur and a professional. "an amateur practices until he/she gets it right. A professional practices until they can't get it wrong".

I knew a guy who was a second-generation musician in Nashville. Anyway, he said his dad had always told him that he knew he was almost ready to take a song on tour when he'd played it so much that he was absolutely sick of it and didn't care if he never played it again. I've heard a similar quote attributed to Tommy Emmanuel.

BIGDB
03-15-2013, 02:56 PM
I play everyday for probably 4-5 hours a day

PereBourik
04-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Could be a couple of hours, or fifteen minutes. I can say that after being stuck for a week without much improvement, today I picked up my uke and the chord shapes were there without looking and the progressions were more fluid. Practice seems to help. Who knew?

UkeKiddinMe
04-07-2013, 07:35 PM
I play every day, but not for hours. Often about 20 minutes a day, and sometimes up to about 45 minutes or an hour or so.

I have also been known to fall asleep with it in my arms. :cool:

oahugrl
04-07-2013, 07:51 PM
30-40 minutes each morning. Maybe another 30 minutes at night, dependent upon how much gas is left in the tank. On the occasions when I am unable to play, I really miss it.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-07-2013, 07:59 PM
I play every day---how long depends on how busy I am with work. I like to play for about an hour or two---usually part of that time is spent learning a new song, part is spent reading music, and most is spent noodling around and playing old favorites.

etf
04-07-2013, 09:11 PM
I've had a ukulele for just over a year but I would say I have been playing around 6 months or so. I retired 16 years ago through illness so have plenty of time to play. However, how many of you end up like this? I go to bed thinking I've not played enough, but tomorrow I will make up for it. The next day the same thing happens. I start off by going over a few songs I can play then the problem starts. I use my iPad to check out You Tube for new things to play then get engrossed in watching and not playing but dreaming of how good it would be to play that well. As a result I'm guessing a great deal of my time is spent watching and not doing. I'm getting better and some days I play for hours but more often than not its at least 50/50 playing and watching.
I go through Uncle Rods sheets and I'm trying to learn the fretboard. I'm guessing that one day the practice time spent will eventually pay off. My trouble is I don't get out much and never get to practice with others to know how I've improved.

cds
04-07-2013, 10:39 PM
I try to pick it up everyday. It might turn into a 1 hour session or only 10 minutes. It always seems to satisfy me, even on my most stressful days at work.

teruterubouzu
04-08-2013, 02:48 AM
I try to pick it up at least once a day, but most of my practice time is on the weekends. I'm usually too fried at night to do all that much. I'm working my way through the Uncle Rod sheets, but get sidetracked by a song from time to time.

UkeKiddinMe
04-08-2013, 02:50 AM
What are the Uncle Rod sheets?

teruterubouzu
04-08-2013, 02:59 AM

I found them on this forum. Uncle Rod (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?13582-Uncle-Rod-Higuchi) has the links in his signature. Copied the links here. Hope that is ok.

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
MediaFire Ukulele Folder w/Boot Camp: http://www.mediafire.com/?rvr286vaqavab
Holiday Songbook: http://www.mediafire.com/?0p02c7ttpqe2g

etf
04-08-2013, 04:21 AM

Download and do his Boot Camp lessons.