Bay Area Open B.J.J.

Fred Miu

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys, i was broswing around the new posts and i saw the favorite fighter thread, and it reminded me of my tournament i just did. i recently just started doing brazilian jiu-jitsu and i just finished a tournament on saturday 12/13/08. i took first place in the adult feather weight category. hard matches. my first match was against my friend that i brought up from Fresno area, second match was somewhat a little easy, and my third match was so hard i had to go to sudden death round. all the guys were in the mid 20s. haha. heres my 2 first matches, and later i will post up my last match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4jxdbdjdwU&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8ulkJB-ug&feature=channel_page

heres a few pictures:
BJJ121308051.jpg
BJJ121308042.jpg
BJJ121308040.jpg
BJJ121308036.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing like rolling around with other men in your pajamas, getting all hot and sweaty and calling it a sport.

Just kidding. I wouldn't want you to put me in missionary position, um, I mean, have you in my closed guard.

Congrats on the gold!

Fred, congrats on the 1st place finish.

And deach, ya took the words right out! Lovin it!

rofl! haha deach you are the greatest man.

didnt you wrestling or something?

and thanks guys :)

I rassled in high school. Mostly bears. Also been doing BJJ forever but I'm getting old and injuries don't heal as fast anymore so I stick to boxing and ballroom dancing now.

that was some nice passing.

that was some nice passing.

haha thanks. the wrestling part of me.

I rassled in high school. Mostly bears. Also been doing BJJ forever but I'm getting old and injuries don't heal as fast anymore so I stick to boxing and ballroom dancing now.

seriously? i wish you had videos of some of your matches of wrestling or BJJ or some boxing. i should talk to you more about a few things, maybe get some pointers. :)

seriously? i wish you had videos of some of your matches of wrestling or BJJ or some boxing. i should talk to you more about a few things, maybe get some pointers. :)

My game and yours are a lot different. The best thing I can tell you is roll with as many different types as you can. Enjoy your time as a white belt. No one expects much from you so if you try something and fail, it's no big deal as long as you learn from it.

Grappler is a purple and more your size. I'm sure he could help you out.

interesting, what belt were you?

i was looking at grappler the other day, but i didnt PM him. i will now.

brah im studying with Cesar Gracie, he never gives belts out or strips. people are there for like 3 years and then they get a blue belt if they are lucky.

hey fred!

I've been doing bjj on and off for probably 2 and a half years.
I got my purple about 4 Months ago after competing in dominance. I won all 4 rounds in my weight devision(70kg). Train hard fred. my journey from a white belt, then getting my strips 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and then Blue was probably the most exciting phase when i was on the mat. I learnt so much and understood different game plans. changed my game plan 10 times untill i understood which one i liked.
my strengths would probably be my half guard game to butterfly.

In earning your belts Fred it is EXTREMELY competitive and i can assure you that it "might" let you down, cos it did for me.

I was training twice a day 5 times a week when i was 3rd strip. Another mate got from from white to 3rd skipping 2nd. I was extremely pissed off and jealous at the same time. Lesson learned from that was, i was there to learn.... im still learning now and im just there to have fun and teach students the fundamentals about bjj. Dont let your ego get to you. Leave it at home. thats what i got taught. Then you would love and appreciate bjj as much as i do!

Bjj WILL physically change your appearance. It will push you to limits you have never thought of. It will test your core strength, your balance, your technique and most of all your cardiovascular. Jui Jitsui is my way of life now, its changed me as a person.. my views in life.. my breathing... its just made me take my full potential everyday and made me live life well..

I hope you find it extremely fun, and a learning process fred.
all the best, pm your details and address bud, ill send over you some instructional dvds if you need.

Cheers

thanks grappler. sadly, ceasr doesnt give strips out like AT ALL. its only his black belt instructor. but that rarely happens also. but i for sure will work hard. his reaction for me winning was great, im sure he saw something in me. but i will work hard. i think he might work with me tonight.

and for sure brah! any help is great help!

just watched some clips.
you rolled pretty well.
minor things to touch up. Learn how to break grips. some help conditioning?? do chinups and wrap your Gi on the monkey bar. It helps you develop strong grip.
Your posture when your in his guard is outstanding! keep that up.

=]

keep it up fred

Don't get caught up in chasing belts. Enjoy the journey. Some of the best players I know aren't black belts. Ryan Hall eats black belts for breakfast and doesn't give a rat's ass about what color belt he sports.

some help conditioning??

i dont know if i need conditioning or not, because i felt so comfortable all matches for the whole 5 mins. i mean i could use more, who doesnt? but does it look like i need more conditioning??

Don't get caught up in chasing belts. Enjoy the journey. Some of the best players I know aren't black belts. Ryan Hall eats black belts for breakfast and doesn't give a rat's ass about what color belt he sports.

i see what they do when you get promoted, the gauntlet....it looks so bad, id rather stay a white belt haha. but i will enjoy the journey.

Top Bottom