Life on Four Strings Reviews

agilitydog

Reaction score
Don't know where to post this most appropriately. Those of you in Hawaii got to see Jake's PBS, Life on Four Strings last night 3/12, I think. Those of us elsewhere have to wait until May. Any of you folks who saw it care to let us know how it was?

Though I just saw Jake a few weeks ago at a small club near my home (front row center stage :) ) in L.A., I find myself envious of those of you who saw the special. I'm sure it was wonderful.

I was the film's premiere at the Asian-American Film Festival in San Francisco last summer. We were told that it was still going to be edited; I think it needed a bit more of a feeling of having a story arc. It had great footage of Jake performing, rehearsing, and hanging out with his mother and brother, and I thought it gave a good sense of how life is for Jake on the road. I'm going to watch it again when it plays on the San Francisco PBS station, because I'm curious to see how much it was edited and revised after the premiere. I'm curious to hear what people who saw it in Hawaii last night thought of it.

Hey Mark I knew you got to see it last year in the City..my cousin in Oakland got to see it then too.but as usual I was in a fog and did not know anything about it.
Mark without the pledge breaks the show was about 1 hour..

but it was a really good program..you know that I have been on the Mainland for over 30 years so I don't know too much about Jake even though I grew up in Hawaii..

so the show went through his life journey..there is music but not as much as you would like..his manager is one great lady,she has been with him for 10 years and I don't think he could be who he is without her..

let me and the other Hawaii residents know what you want to hear about the program might be easier that way..so if anyone has questions just ask that might be easier to answer

but for sure don't miss it in May..
also PBS Hawaii has some really nice programs coming up will try to keep the UU informed

We've all seen Jake play, some of us many times. I'm glad there wasn't much concert footage. I have all the Jake CDs I need. This documentary was more about Jake's motivation, how he started, where he's been, how he got there, etc. I loved the family insights, the Japanese tsunami coverage, his relationship with his wife; all the stuff you don't get to see on stage. When it came on TV last night I though it was going to be just another Jake show but I was really pleasantly surprised. I'll probably even re-watch it.
(As a side note, being a builder I liked seeing the spot light turned to Kamaka as well. I feel that if it weren't for the Kamakas and Jake I probably wouldn't be doing what I'm doing today. I owe these guys a lot!)
I wonder how his touring schedule will change now that he's a new father? This show was taped last year before the baby was born. He talked about being on the road for 10 months of the year and how that might not be the best thing for his family.

Last edited:
The show was good, showed many insites to Jake's motivation.
Felt bad for the Kamaka family at the end of the live broadcast in the studio. The host told them someone was holding one of their ukes and was going to play a song. When they showed him, he had a Kanilea uke.

When I saw him in late Feb he shared several reactions to his child and the process of becoming a father. They were laced with an awe, wonderment and gratitude that often marks his description of his journey with the ukulele. I do know that though on tour (by bus for the first time), a few days after playing the club here in L.A. he was at home. When he talked about his family it sounded like he was talking about music. You're right, Chuck, hard things to juggle. I never worked with a parent who didn't feel outstripped by the demands no matter what resources or time they had. Though I don't know Jake, I'm betting that he finds a pathway that resonates with his family. I certainly wish him well.

Chuck, your description of the documentary makes it seem very unique. Thanks for your thoughts.

Felt bad for the Kamaka family at the end of the live broadcast in the studio. The host told them someone was holding one of their ukes and was going to play a song. When they showed him, he had a Kanilea uke.

The only ones that would notice that are us uke geeks. That part won't be on the national broadcast anyway.

BTW, I loved to hear Chris Kamaka pronounce ukes with a "Y"--Yukes. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me. Yukes it is!

The only ones that would notice that are us uke geeks. That part won't be on the national broadcast anyway.

BTW, I loved to hear Chris Kamaka pronounce ukes with a "Y"--Yukes. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me. Yukes it is!

Yeah Chuck I liked the Kamaka parts too! seems like Casey has a great, fun outlook on life..everytime I see him he got a big smile on his face..

good to know you a Kamaka fan

I think they pronounce them 'Nukes' in Nth Korea.... or cake.

Yeah Chuck I liked the Kamaka parts too! seems like Casey has a great, fun outlook on life..everytime I see him he got a big smile on his face..

good to know you a Kamaka fan

I've always been a huge fan of the Kamaka company. While other uke ("yuke") manufactures have come and gone, gotten out of the game and now are back in, Kamaka has held tight for almost 100 years and 4 generations of Kamaka family builders now. (Can you tell I resent the uke manufacturers that just jump on the $$ band wagon? haha) Without Kamaka keeping the ukulele alive, especially in Hawaii, I really doubt if we'd be talking about any of this. I tell people if they could only have one uke, just one, it should be a Kamaka, if only to pay tribute to what they've done for all of us. Kamaka was the model for my first uke in 1985 (a soprano). I toured their factory back then and it planted a seed in me I will never forget. I still play it and I still love it.

Last edited:
I've always been a huge fan of the Kamaka company. While other uke ("yuke") manufactures have come and gone, gotten out of the game and now are back in, Kamaka has held tight for almost 100 years and 4 generations of Kamaka family builders now. (Can you tell I resent the uke manufacturers that just jump on the $$ band wagon? haha) Without Kamaka keeping the ukulele alive, especially in Hawaii, I really doubt if we'd be talking about any of this. I tell people if they could only have one uke, just one, it should be a Kamaka, if only to pay tribute to what they've done for all of us. Kamaka was the model for my first uke in 1985 (a soprano). I toured their factory back then and it planted a seed in me I will never forget. I still play it and I still love it.

What if we can have 2 and one is a Kamaka?? :)

Last edited:

Right on Chuck..I knew there was a reason I like you Haha

Yup Chuckie, supporting PBS is a good idea and it is nice to see Jake does too....

OH OH Big news...Kamaka says for all of us who missed the show, it will be replayed on march 20 at 8pm.....:smileybounce::shaka:

Last edited:
Yup Chuckie, supporting PBS is a good idea and it is nice to see Jake does too....

OH OH Big news...Kamaka says the for all of us who missed the show, it will be replayed on march 20 at 8pm.....:smileybounce::shaka:

Or you can just come to my house and watch it since I recorded it.

I'm itching for them to release the DVD or BluRay of Life on Four Strings. They had a launch back in Nov last year in Toronto but I couldn't make it out to see it. So bummed BUT Jake will be up here in April, day after my b'day! yay!

Edit: Looks like PBS North America will air it on May 10th.

Last edited:
I'm itching for them to release the DVD or BluRay of Life on Four Strings. They had a launch back in Nov last year in Toronto but I couldn't make it out to see it. So bummed BUT Jake will be up here in April, day after my b'day! yay!

Edit: Looks like PBS North America will air it on May 10th.

If you go to PBS Hawaii.org(not positive I have the correct website but close) you can order the dvd,cd etc.. this was a pledge drive program so check it out

of course you pay a little more than retail but it is available

Top Bottom