Scarf joint preference; over or under?

BruceCrook

Reaction score
For my 1st home shop made ukulele I used a rough cut neck and fret board from Mainland Ukulele and this worked out quite well. For my 2nd build I am attempting to fabricate the neck and fret board. I have the Hanna Lima manual but it is not completely clear on the scarf joint fabrication at the head stock. There seems to be two methods I find in other books and on the internet regarding the scarf joint; “head stock over” and “headstock under” the neck. Is there a preference for ukulele different from other string instruments? What method do you use? Sketch attached.headstock over or under.jpg

Thanks
Bruce Crook
Mooresville, Indiana USA

I'm from Down under, so....Under

I've seen both ways done. I'm an "under" guy. I don't like seeing the scarf joint and color change in the neck itself. You can always see the joint after finishing where the grain direction changes.....especially when the joint is in the carved area. In the "under" method the joint is on flat surfaces and not so visible.
The "over" method also means the joint is only 1-3/8" wide or so at the nut. Its probably not a problem for strength with modern glues...seems to work for some people. But more surface is better

Always under. I hate the way it looks when someone does it the other way. When it's under the joint is virtually invisible if you use a head plate and back graft on the head stock.

I'm no wood worker, but it seems to me that the fretboard adds to the strength of the joint if the headstock goes over the rest of the neck. The fretboard doesn't touch the headstock with the "under" solution.

I'm from Texas, so I use the "over" method.
I like the fat fretboard reinforcement to the head compared to the thin head plate.
I've heard objections to the "over" method; that the neck shaft having 2 different grain alignments, causing an uneven plane once the fretboard is glued on. I have never seen this in practice.
I only use a scarf joint on ukes, I use the Spanish V-joint on guitars, which is really a complicated "under" method.

I'm from Down under, so....Under
Grand Junction Co is down under what?

I like the under joint. Works like a charm. You will hardly be able to see it.The Hana Lima manual is an excellent reliable set of directions. You will be delighted with the instrument that results.

Under is the way I learned to do it, but I've since converted to a custom joint - no issues have ever developed either way, but our custom joint is a lot easier and faster to do and only costs a little bit more wood.

About a zillion electric guitars say the over joint is fine. The support of the fingerboard probably makes a lot of sense. The under joint is prettier. On a uke its pretty much a cosmetic issue, not one of strength. The look of the over joint doesn't bother me if its well done, but I think the under joint is classier.

Top Bottom