Sound difference between concert and tenor of same manufacturer

Ukejungle

Reaction score
It is just volume? I guess there is a neck size difference, length for sure and width. Would the tenor just be louder? Looking at mainland concert vs tenor.

Thanks.
noob in houston

A tenor would have longer sustain because of longer strings.

The left hand fingering is gonna be a little tighter on the concert due to the shorter scale length. Most concerts are around 15 inches, tenors 17 inches.

My Kanilea Tenor has more bass than my Kanilea concert as well.

Agreed, the primary tonal difference I would expect would be better bass response as a result of the increased vibrating surface of the top. Many would describe this tone as "fuller." It's one of the reasons that Low-G is much more common on tenors than concerts or sopranos; the tenor has enough top for the low-G to drive.

I find volume to be more a function of construction than size. In the OPs question, in two sizes of the same model utilizing the same construction, I would expect somewhat more volume as body size increases. However, body size in general is really not an indicator of volume; I've played plenty of sopranos that could blast you out of your chair and tenors that were very quiet.

Not necessarily volume at all - but generally speaking - more resonant in voice

Some people say they sound 'deeper' - bit of a misnomer as they are tuned exactly the same as concerts - but they are referring to the bass response as mentioned by RichM above.

Quite simply - it's a bigger chamber.

I've played Mainland Concerts and Tenors side by side - and that's what I found. In some ways the tenor does sound louder, but the concert has more bite and snap which can cut through. Put another way - we have both played in our open jam sessions and I can distinguish between them easily. Just different voices.

Top Bottom