Ukulele Strings

keddys

Reaction score
I need to replace my ukulele strings, are there different kind of strings for different sounds or for specific ukuleles?

Search is your friend! There are loads of past
threads on this topic as it always comes up!
It depends on may things: what your uke is
(Soprano.Concert,Tenor or Baritione) and if
you prefer 'bright' strings (louder) or mellow
ones (quieter).Check out the previous posts
using the site SEARCH function!

Check out the previous posts
using the site SEARCH function!

And leave yourself a couple weeks of reading time. This topic gets beaten to death here.

Two biggest topics:
- Strings
- What uke I'm buying/I plan on buying/I wish I were buying/I bought/my friend bought/&c

I need to replace my ukulele strings, are there different kind of strings for different sounds or for specific ukuleles?
Simple question, simple answer: Yes.
smiley_emoticons_biggrin.gif

With the little info you provided you'll have to read it all yourself.....

As sound is a very personal preference, there is no "these strings are best on that uke" advice. A single type of strings can produce different results on different ukes - or the other way round: once you found a set of strings you like on one uke you cannot be sure that you'll like these strings on another one.
Finding "the best" strings for yourself is a lengthy try-and-error journey.

Agree with all of the above. One little tip I've found when searching forums (not just this one) is that Google often gives you better results than a given forum's own search engine.

You might have only asked one simple question, but you'll find a million answers :p

Good luck in your quest. :D

It is a bit like finding the wood you like. Most people seem to agree that Aquila Nylguts are the possibly best choice for inexpensive or cheap ukuleles, but after that opinions widely differ. It's probably one of those "try them all" kind of things. :) I haven't done that yet, but between Nylguts and Martin flourcarbons (both high-g) strings, I prefer the latter on my solid acacia tenor. I'll try them on the mahogany soprano too. (Both from the factory that makes KPKs, and then set up by a local seller.) If I wanted a more mellow sound, I think Worth Browns might be a good option, judging by what has been posted.

.... Most people seem to agree that Aquila Nylguts are the possibly best choice for inexpensive or cheap ukuleles, but after that opinions widely differ....
I don't understand that thinking. I have Aquila Nylguts on my handmade American uke and on my chinese uke and they sound great on both. In fact to my ears the Aquila nylguts sound better to me than all the other strings I've tried. I guess I'm not Most people.

I don't understand that thinking. I have Aquila Nylguts on my handmade American uke and on my chinese uke and they sound great on both. In fact to my ears the Aquila nylguts sound better to me than all the other strings I've tried. I guess I'm not Most people.

I agree on this one.:agree:

Finding "the best" strings for yourself is a lengthy try-and-error journey.

:agree: Aquila, Worth, Martin, Southcoast, Living Water. Try 'em all. Don't take anyone's opinion as your own without trying them out yourself. That would NOT be due diligence. There is no right answer.

OP's Q: "...are there different kind of strings for different sounds or for specific ukuleles?"

A: Different strings give different sounds. There are no specific strings for specific ukes -- only individual personal preferences and group preferences (which may or may not be experience-based).

Strings are the least costly item you can put on your ukulele. All strings produce different sounds.....bright, mellow, for example. It all comes down to what YOU like the sound to be. The common wisdom here is that the aquilla strings sound really good on the laminate ukuleles. Do not know what ukulele you want to put strings on, but.....try different ones, experiment and see what sound you like and how the strings feel when you play them.

I probably put that poorly. What I meant is that Aquila strings are frequently said (when you skim the threads on this topic) to make cheap/not-so-great instruments sound like significantly better instruments, which makes them a good choice for entry level ukes. This does not mean that they are ONLY for inexpensive instruments (or that they themselves are an inferior pick -- quite the opposite, the way I understand it), only that Aquilas can boost a not-so-great uke better than other strings.

This just makes the point, though: It is all a matter of preference. :) I don't feel that any brand of strings or materials are objectively "better" than others, and I have never seen anyone make that claim, either.

Every uke will react different to each brand and type of strings...what may be good for some may not be for others... there is no one overall string to me...best thing is to buy a few sets and
try which ones you prefer best for sound, playability and comfort on a particular ukulele.....good luck....

Every uke will react different to each brand and type of strings...what may be good for some may not be for others... there is no one overall string to me...best thing is to buy a few sets and
try which ones you prefer best for sound, playability and comfort on a particular ukulele.....good luck....

Hey Stan you try any of the strings I sent you yet?

Aloha Len,
Yes I need to try them on one of my customs, seems I have gone through most of the strings and still have not found the right one for it yet...I hope
the ones you sent me will do the trick...Malahl Plentee:)

I hope you like the strings bruddah

Hey keddys....welcome to the UU Forum! Glad that you are here! (and good luck with the string quest).

Welcome!

Strings--as others have said--are highly subjective purchases! Try many, and enjoy.

Check my sig line below for the Uke String Database: people enter their experiences with strings. Once you try some, enter yours as well!

I've liked Aquila best on all my other ukes
Have you tried the Living Waters already? I was pretty happy with Aquilas before I tried them - for me the Living Waters are the better (yet pricier) choice.

I agree. Living Waters strings are awesome. I put them on a uke that had Aquila strings, thinking I would lose some volume. Not so. Loud, clear, and great sustain.

Top Bottom