New Uke Day: Talsma Custom!

mattydee

Reaction score
My father came to Milwaukee to see me in a play last summer. It was the original play that one of his all-time favorite movies was based on, A Thousand Clowns, which if you know it, has a little ukulele number in it. I didn't play in the show, but I taught the actors who had to how to, and then for the curtain call we all played through the number, and I had a little spotlight moment where I played a big chord melody arrangement of the tune.

Anyway, my dad was so impressed that he decided to buy me a new uke as a gift -- it could be anything I wanted. I was ready for a custom!

I had been thinking about a Talsma for a while, I love the look of his ukes, I had heard Gerald Ross play his, and read amazing things about them, so I contacted Dave in October, and it finally came today:

In%20case.jpg

body%20no%20glare.jpg

This design is his own take on the old narrow-waisted Hollywood style. It's a concert-scale all mahogany with an ebony fretboard and bridge, and ivoroid bindings.

The inlay on the fretboard and headstock is MOP.

Headstock.jpg

I love the old glamor of this style, so i didn't want to change it up much from his design, but I asked for a personalized inlay of my initials at the 14th fret.

Inlay1.jpg

And this thing sounds as good as it looks. Intonation is perfect all the way up the neck, no thuds playing way up there either, perfect, clear bell like tone. It's strung with Southcoast mediums now, but I wonder what Aquilas might do to give it that old-timey bark... I haven't had much time with yet, obviously, so, I'm keeping these on it for now.

Dave was great to work with... and he's a true craftsman. Fit and finish are as close to perfect as I can tell -- I literally cannot find a single flaw of any type.

I have a gig tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to christening it there. I hope to get a sound sample soon, maybe for the Seasons this week.

Anyway, this one is here to stay.

The soundhole also has the ivoroid binding, such a gorgeous detail.

soundhole.jpg

Tuners are friction with faux MOP buttons.

tuners.jpg

Misi pickup.

endpin.jpg

Edited to add: I just noticed this is my 600th post. Nice way to celebrate!

Last edited:
That's one nice looking ukulele. Lovely story to accompany it. Can your dad adopt me?

Wow Matt!! I love the personalization and I can see you performing with this baby for many years to come!!!

Only if my initials were MD so I can but it from you!! :p

Very nice Matt. It is beautiful. I have admired Dave's ukuleles since RyRod got his custom. I especially love Dave's cocktail tenor.

Very nice Matt! Sweet inlay and purlfling on that custom.

Woweee!! Congratulations. A combination of elements of two of my favorite ukuleles: Hollywood (body) and Lyon & Healy (headstock). I'd love to hear this one. The few Talsmas I've heard (on Youtube) sound terrific.

That is GORGEOUS! I decided a while back that when I am ready to have a custom uke built, I want to go with Dave. I haven't seen one in person, but there's an ER doctor who lives not far from me who owns several (including the "Style 5/ Lyon & Healy Bell/ Gibson" mash-up on Talsma's website). I really need to go meet that guy in person... we have mutual acquaintances, but I've only communicated with him via email.
Anyway, I have an idea that I discussed with Dave a year or so ago, and he seemed hip to my design. Maybe later this year...

Matt,

As a new dad, all I can think is that this is how it should work.

Congrats to you and cheers to your dad. That's a classy gift, for sure.

Congratulations! That is one gorgeous ukulele! I love the way it looks...bet it feels good, too...

Matt,

As a new dad, all I can think is that this is how it should work.

Congrats to you and cheers to your dad. That's a classy gift, for sure.

I think it's exactly what he thinks, too, Connor. I can't wait to play it for him.

That is GORGEOUS! I decided a while back that when I am ready to have a custom uke built, I want to go with Dave. I haven't seen one in person, but there's an ER doctor who lives not far from me who owns several (including the "Style 5/ Lyon & Healy Bell/ Gibson" mash-up on Talsma's website). I really need to go meet that guy in person... we have mutual acquaintances, but I've only communicated with him via email.
Anyway, I have an idea that I discussed with Dave a year or so ago, and he seemed hip to my design. Maybe later this year...

Yeah -- it's a lovely uke, and I can understand why folks go back to him. Next custom for me will be a Baritone, and I've been thinking Mya-Moe all this time, but now that I have this Talsma in my hands, I may have to go back to him.

(I've got plenty of time to figure that out though...;))

Very nice Matt. It is beautiful. I have admired Dave's ukuleles since RyRod got his custom. I especially love Dave's cocktail tenor.

His personal style is what hooked me! It may sound weird, but I love his website, and that drew mw to him, too. I think how an artist represents themselves outside of their art can tell you alot about them, you know?

Anyway, RyRod's custom and his videos here are what cemented it for me. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment sending someone Dave's way.

Top Bottom