Pono Mahogany vs. Mainland Mahogany (Tenor)

Ukejungle

Reaction score
I see that HMS has the Pono MT $100 off right now for $339. I am also looking at the Mainland Tenor Mahogany but the sale price has me tempted. Being a Noob and playing for a few weeks, is the Pono worth the jump?

Thank You

IMO, it is worth the jump. A well setup instrument is what it's all about. For me, I found the quality of an instrument makes a difference, not only is it easier to play but a person is likely to play it more with results quicker. It also may help keep the UAS in check for a while.

I'm not knocking Mainlands at all as they are a good instrument but it seems the consensus is Pono as a first choice. You're definitly buying from the right place. Pono would also have a higher resale value. I'm sure you're thinking that this will be the one and only you'll buy; Ha, we all said that in the beginning. Yeah go for the Pono, it'll be worth it.

From HMS.....yes it is worth the jump!!!

Just to echo the same sentiments as Patrick, a nice instrument motivates and encourages you to play more often, which will lead to you improving your skill faster. At least that has been my experience so far.

Tried both and it depends here too....some ukes sound better even in the same brand, model and same time built....there is so much variations in the building process that makes
them sound individually different...consistancy is the key in sound of each uke...if you cannot do that becauce you are buying online, buy from a good store like HMS,Mainland, Uke
Republic, MIM's etc who does great setup free with every purchase...Good Luck... I played the kala slim line at HMS and they had 3 different ones with different woods and they
all sounded nice....I have a couple mainlands too, and the sound nice and sweet too.....let us know what you get...pS get a good digital clip on chromatic tuner too...

Both are good midrange ukes, with the Pono being a little higher up that midrange scale. Either will be set up well. The Pono will have a little higher resale value if you decide to sell. My Pono baritone just slightly edges my Mainland baritone when strung linear G (traditional baritone tuning) - in reentrant tuning it's closer to a wash as far as tone and volume go (the Pono is a gloss so has a little more bling factor thatn the matte Mainland).

I don't have a tenor Pono to compare to my Mainland tenors, but I'd reason that the same dynamics exist there.

If the price is very similar between the two I'd choose the Pono. Usually the Ponos are a "notch up" in cost from the Mainlands, though.

John

Played both. Love Mainlands, but worth the jump. Pono are quite beautiful.

Pono's are ...

definitely nice. Pono was my #2 choice and I wonder if I'd have been happier with Pono. No -- I'm just getting greedy reading all the UAS posts. I personally wasn't drawn to the fat neck (guitar like) but the tone, quality build and action was heavenly.

I just graduated from a cheapo but decent sounding Mahalo (seriously it was an older one so maybe the tone improved?) to a Koalana concert and YES it's worth the jump. No comparison. I now play an instrument not an excuse of an instrument.

I was looking for a nice mid range uke and tried many. Pono stood out head and shoulders above the pack. I'm partial to Mahogany and loved the tone of the Pono Mahogony. First I tried Acacia and did not like that at all, so the sweet man at Aloha Warehouse did not offer me to try any other Pono's. I played all the ukes he had and finally asked about that lone Pono. He said "you didn't like Pono." Aha but that was the Acacia which sounded flat and dull to me (more $$ than Mahogany). The Mahogany was truly sweet. You couldn't go wrong with that.

I like Mainland as well, but I'd go for Pono if the price was similar. A friend just acquired a Mahogany Mainland and I did lust after it so either one would probably satisfy.

Top Bottom