WTB: Kala Pocket Uke

Paulrick

Reaction score
Hello all... Just joined the forum and looking for another uke. I've currently got a lanikai STEQ tenor uke and I'm looking for something smaller to plink around on while traveling. Couldn't find much about where to buy on the website.

Let me know if you have one! Thanks.

Paulrick

Welcome Paulrick, I happen to have an extra kala mahogany pocket uke if you're interested. PM me.

nucum25

i'd try one first, they are not everyones cup of tea

Just bought a brand new mahogany pocket uke from easy music center! Customer service was top notch!

They only have one left (spalted) if anyone is interested.

Thanks for suggestions guys and gals.

Same for me. My experience with Easy Music Center has been fantastic. Glad you found one you liked!

Just bought a brand new mahogany pocket uke from easy music center! Customer service was top notch!

They only have one left (spalted) if anyone is interested.

Thanks for suggestions guys and gals.

i'd try one first, they are not everyones cup of tea

I think Simon's right. And funnily enough, if you want to know what they sound like, I've just posted a vid of me on my Kala Pocket Uke in this week's Seasons of the Ukulele.

[video=youtube_share;JQIgWVWq79k]Season 57 Of The Ukulele[/video]

Yes, it really is tuned to F, and no, that's not an affectation. F is one of the two tunings recommended by Kala. The other recommended tuning, G (an octave above a baritone), turns the strings into cheese wires. Tuned to C, the strings just flop on top of the fretboard.*

If you want a piccolo-sized uke that plays in C or D tuning, go to Sven Nyström
http://argapa.blogspot.co.uk. He produces the most wonderful little ukuleles, for not a lot more than Kala - and they are really loud!

The reason the Kala needs to be tuned so high is that it's kinda overbuilt. I think Sven told me he reckons Kala use about 28 separate pieces of wood in the construction of whereas he uses about half the amount (his are certainly half the weight). Consequently the strings need to be of a fairly high tension in order to cause the body to resonate when the strings are plucked.

However, the Argapa is about two inches longer than the Kala (about the same length as an Ohana sopranino), which may of course be something you need to consider.

Great, thanks!

I've been considering a travel uke, but would want to play in standard tuning.

If I end up getting it, I'll try those strings out.

Last edited:
Have you looked at those Tom pocket ukes?
Look like a good cheap alternative. And I think they look slimmer than the kalas.
Worth a google anyway...

Top Bottom