no internet... (sigh!)

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Well, I got a FiOS upgrade yesterday, and had to move the router. Everything worked fine, until I put the router back where it started. So I have nothing reliable but this phone, with limited data. How craptastic is that?

I'll be back when I can. Miss y'all already.

-Kurt​

Oh man, that stinks! The phone certainly has its place, but as a sole internet connection it is certainly lacking. Hope your eyes don't get too strained!

Here's to getting your connection back soon! :cheers:

I shudder to imagine..., I think I would have to check into a hotel or sleep at the office.

Aloha Kurt,
Oh man disconnected to UU and the world...I feel for you man....let us know how you worked it out...I heard Fios is cheaper and faster but did not know of these problems..

Well, I got a FiOS upgrade yesterday, and had to move the router. Everything worked fine, until I put the router back where it started.
Kurt, I know this is asking the obvious, but...

The other morning I woke up to no internet at all. This happens every few weeks, and I know how to re-boot the modem but that didn't work. My husband isn't here to help with things like that anymore, and I felt completely lost and cut off. The internet is my lifeline to the rest of the world since I don't have him. :(

Called tech support, they tell me they can see the modem but not the router and to re-boot that as well.

That didn't work, either. Eventually, I figured out that while I was either unplugging the router's power cable or plugging it back in, I managed to bump the little on/off switch on the back next to the power plug. Doh! Talk about feeling like an idiot.

So maybe check for the obvious?

Okay...so exactly what about that was an upgrade? :)

I feel for you, though. My only options here are AT&T DSL and Charter cable. I've had both and neither is a bastion of reliability, for sure. I was waiting for AT&T to finally offer U-verse in our neighborhood (it's with about 1/2 mile, now) - but maybe that is not the answer either.

John

I know how you feel, I was up in Lake Tahoe and had a VERY VERY hard time getting to UU :)

How the other half lives!

I feel for you Kurt, but you should try living half-way up a hill in southwest France. Only available Internet connection by satellite - and this was only working at half-speed this winter after our dish decided to re-align itself during a snowfall. Prior to 2010 we only had dial-up, which was S...O.......S...L...O...W, that if we had to rely on it now, I would probably still be trying to complete my UU membership application!

Val

You describe one of the reasons why I'm still using cable for Internet. I feel your pain. Good luck getting everything sorted out.

Sorry to hear that, Kurt. My Samsung Galaxy S II Android smartphone is grandfathered under America's Everything Unlimited Data plan. Sprint rocks! Ric

Heh, heh...main reason I haven't upgraded mine and my wife's three-year-old phones. Although realistically neither of us usually uses that much data during the month, anyway. I keep telling myself I should upgrade phones and downgrade plan but just can't bring myself to do it. :)

John

From the netbook (sooo hard to read!) at the coffee shop!

Called Verizon Tech Support today - seems the new router I was given is an anchor. No wireless available on it (and it is supposed to be a b/g/n router), and the tech couldn't see the router from his end. Tried resetting the DCHP, and... nothing.

I put the old one back on, and it has slow intermittent contact... like enough to download half of an email before it quits.

So I'll check messages, but probably not respond for a bit... Verizon is sending me a new router, should have it by Wednesday.

I hope I have the Internet back up and running before my wife gets back from California!

-Kurt​

Okay, then...

I got home from the coffee shop, walked in the back door, and the doorbell rang. No one there, UPS truck across the street, box from Verizon at my feet.

They sent the replacement router next day from Pennsylvania.

Opened it up, newest revisions (I), hooked everything up, and....

Nada, nein, nyet, nope, nothing.

Then the phone rang, with a recording from Verizon telling me that the router should arrive on Monday. Ok, we'll talk to Marty McFly about this later...

Called Verizon tech support, talked to a nice tech named Monica, explained what had happened, and that I had logged into the router, and it was waiting for the DHCP lease. She wondered how I got into that, and so I told her the directions were on the manual (CD) that came with the router - why confuse her and tell her I'd been a computer tech for 20 years...

She couldn't see my system, and I suggested that she might want to reboot the ONT.

That's when she realized she couldn't see the ONT, either.

She called her IT people, they rebooted the ONT, and - I'm Back! Yeah, the router I got Wednesday was a piece of crap, and probably took the ONT down, but it is all back, 45-50 mps download speeds are working, and everything.

So now I have to go to work, close tonight, and open in the morning. I'll get back on tomorrow afternoon, and see about doing that Jerry Jeff Walker song...

Aloha, y'all!

-Kurt​

Yay! You had much better success than I did with AT & T or Charter.

A few years ago I got so fed up with Charter's cost and lousy customer service (they had an area outage that fried a lot of equipment and they said it would be six weeks before they could have me back online. That was about the third time in a month that the system had gone down. Anyway, I did without service for a few months - I wasn't working from home at the time and I would check my email at work or swing by the library with my laptop if I needed to download some music or something.

Anyway, when my daughter moved in with us she brought her AT & T DSL because it was bundled with her iPhone. They had promised to come out on a Tuesday to install the network box (I was doing, in fact, had already done, the wiring in the house). Anyway, come Wednesday afternoon the guy still had not shown up to install the network box outside. So, I called AT & T customer service. Talk about a comedic tragedy. I got connected to a "help desk" (and I use that term extremely loosely) in East India. I don't think that the person in the call center actually understood English, though she could parrot the instructions from her script. I spent over thirty-five minutes trying to explain to her that no one had come out to hook up service to the house, that there were no wires connected to my house, etc, etc, etc. She couldn't understand that and we had to go through the entire script (turn the modem off for sixty seconds, turn it back on, what order do the lights come on, yada, yada, yada). Finally we got to the part of the script where she asked, "do you want a technician to come to the house?" At which point I said - yes, that's what I've been trying to tell you for almost forty minutes - he was supposed to be here two days ago but did not show up. :argggggghhhhhhh!:

I got connected to a "help desk" (and I use that term extremely loosely) in East India. I don't think that the person in the call center actually understood English, though she could parrot the instructions from her script. I spent over thirty-five minutes trying to explain to her that no one had come out to hook up service to the house, that there were no wires connected to my house, etc, etc, etc. She couldn't understand that and we had to go through the entire script (turn the modem off for sixty seconds, turn it back on, what order do the lights come on, yada, yada, yada). Finally we got to the part of the script where she asked, "do you want a technician to come to the house?" At which point I said - yes, that's what I've been trying to tell you for almost forty minutes - he was supposed to be here two days ago but did not show up. :argggggghhhhhhh!:

You just described - almost verbatim - a conversation I had re: Verizon DSL a few years back. I had to keep power cycling the modem, and had been requesting a technician for months.

Since moving to FiOS, there has been a dramatic difference. Plus, all of the installers work out of the Verizon garage across the street from the Starbucks I used to work at, and most of them still stop by in the morning for coffee...

-Kurt​

Plus, all of the installers work out of the Verizon garage across the street from the Starbucks I used to work at, and most of them still stop by in the morning for coffee...

-Kurt​

Ahhhh...you can play the trump card...withhold the coffee! All manner of techies basically live on the stuff. Much of the reason I had a massive heart attack at 41, I suppose - inherited high blood pressure from dear old mom and then poured two pots of hi-test down my throat and smoked a pack of cigs every day for 25 years...can you say nearly terminal stupidity, boys and girls? :)

John

Top Bottom