Martin SO tuning and various pitches

beatlloydy

Reaction score
I jumped into the shallow end of Martin Ukes to dip my toes and purchased a discontinued 2nd hand Martin SO Soprano Uke. I don't actually own what one would term a quality soprano currently. This one, I know is still entry level to the "house of Martin".

In any case, the blurb which came with it said it should be tuned to Standard ukulele pitch which they indicate is A D F# B. My limited knowledge thought that standard uke tuning is G C E A.

In any case, using a chromatic tuner, I cant seem to get anywhere near A D F# B. I can sort of get close to the G C E A tuning of all my other ukes.

Any suggestions as to how to do this and a reason why a chromatic tuner is not picking this up? One thing I noticed with the Martin is that the tuning pegs are so tight that the slightest turn takes it way past one note onto the next. (guess that may be a good thing but something I am not used to with geared tuners)

..anyone got a soundbyte of a Soprano A D F# B tuned uke? (the 4 notes) ..would be good to see how it tunes by ear.

http://www.get-tuned.com/online_ukulele_tuner.php

D tuning is a very traditional standard size uke tuning. (A D F# B). Many would argue that certain standard sized (soprano) ukes sound better in D. I have a few tuned D and a few tuned C and like them both ways.

good luck!

Thanks for that...the online tuner was so much easier to use for the A D F# B tuning...and I must admit it does sound "sweeter" than the GCEA tuning. Its good to know there is no set rule and it sounds like a matter of personal preference....as to why my chromatic tuner wouldn't recognise these notes is baffling..I guess you get what you pay for....I set it at 430 HZ for the A (which I believe is standard tho correct me if I am wrong).

Thanks for that...the online tuner was so much easier to use for the A D F# B tuning...and I must admit it does sound "sweeter" than the GCEA tuning. Its good to know there is no set rule and it sounds like a matter of personal preference....as to why my chromatic tuner wouldn't recognise these notes is baffling..I guess you get what you pay for....I set it at 430 HZ for the A (which I believe is standard tho correct me if I am wrong).

I believe 440 is the standard A.
I have one soprano that I keep tuned to the old-fashioned A D F# B just for fun. It sounds good on some instruments. I have read before that the S-Os sound better in that tuning, although I never tried it on mine. I have mine tuned with a LOW G, and, consequently, almost never play it!

440 Hz, for the most part, is accepted as the standard for the pitch A. It's good that you were able to use your ear and the online tuner to get it in tune.

I keep my Martin SO in D and love it there. Had it out just the other day.

I've had my Martin SO for years now and it is tuned GCEA and it sounds great. The SO's are really good ukes. To me they sound the same as the new S1's .

Last edited:
Top Bottom