Looking for advice or suggestions on body shapes

Gary Gill

Reaction score
I am about to embark on building forms, molds, jigs and fixtures of my own. I am looking for suggestions or advice on what body shape I might consider for making tenor ukuleles.

My two previous acoustic builds were pineapple shapes and I used molds and forms belonging to David Gill. I am leaning toward the standard figure eight shape but I am open to ideas.

What started as helping David build ukuleles has turned into a passion or an addiction.

Gary,
You are more than welcome to come over and go through all my molds to see if there is something that interests you. I do have a mold for a Regal Octofone which I always thought would make a great looking uke. I do agree. I blame David for hooking me on ukes. I was doing just fine building mandolins. :)

What body shape do you like best? Copy that one. Its really just personal preference.
I've used the Hana Lima Tenor shape a few times and I like how it looks and sounds.

Just as long as you keep the body to something like 12" long (from memory), lower bout to 9" wide, 3" deep you will remain with the bounds of available commercial uke cases.

Go into an instrument shop and ask if you can trace around your fav tenor shape :)

Just as long as you keep the body to something like 12" long (from memory), lower bout to 9" wide, 3" deep you will remain with the bounds of available commercial uke cases.

Go into an instrument shop and ask if you can trace around your fav tenor shape :)

That's good advice cuz I have some tenor ukes that will only fit in the foam cases or Reunion Blues.

Case fit issues are a consideration. Other than that, think on what aspects appeal to you i.e. slim waist, rounded bouts, etc. And whether you want a 12 fret or 14 fret neck, and so on. Here are a few sketched options on the theme of a traditional shape to consider what aspects you like and don't like. Or are you thinking more along the lines of possibly a Flea, or boat paddle shape?
body shapes.jpg

I have drawn a standard shape tenor very much the dimensions you noted. I started with an AutoCAD drawing file of a guitar. I scaled it down and tweaked it just a bit. I have two tenor cases now and my design fits them both.
Thanks

Case fit issues are a consideration. Other than that, think on what aspects appeal to you i.e. slim waist, rounded bouts, etc. And whether you want a 12 fret or 14 fret neck, and so on. Here are a few sketched options on the theme of a traditional shape to consider what aspects you like and don't like. Or are you thinking more along the lines of possibly a Flea, or boat paddle shape?
View attachment 50327

Thanks for visual

Top Bottom